nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #52582
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Colorado Wolves" Previous topic | Next topic
DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Wed 30-Jan-08 03:30 AM
3335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Colorado Wolves"
Wed 30-Jan-08 03:32 AM by DrJay32

Colorado Springs, US

Last weekend I had the chance to shoot at the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center. For a fee, you can get a private tour and go inside the enclosures with the wolves and foxes. These are fairly tame, rescued animals. Nevertheless, they are still quite wary of humans.

Here is a link to my web gallery of images, all made with the D3 and 70-200 VR or 70-300 VR. My Gitzo sat by my side, lonely, as Auto ISO rendered it superfluous.

Here is a sample shot at ISO 1600. You can see the rest on my Web Galleries.

Cheers,
Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX
Now supports Capture NX 1.3

www.luminescentphoto.com

Listen to The Image Doctors

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Wed 30-Jan-08 04:45 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Great sharpness, DOF and exposure Jay."
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

And you picked a nice looking wolf.

Jim

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 30-Jan-08 12:09 PM
35268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Colorado Wolves"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Excellent images, Jason.
And that 70-300mm VR performed very well.
How would you rate it overall against the 80-400mm VR?

Even if "tamed", they were looking at you with unfriendly eyes and watery fauces.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Wed 30-Jan-08 01:50 PM
3335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Colorado Wolves"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

Hey JRP-

Actually, the 70-300 performed very, very well. I made sure to keep it stopped down slightly for maximum sharpness. Focus was fast and it is very easy to hand-hold. You have to be careful about bumping the focus ring, as it is closer to the body than the zoom ring. I purchased the 70-300 on a tip from Dave Black, who also bought one. On the D3, where ISO doesn't really matter, you can shoot stopped down and still get high shutter speeds, negating any softness issues the lens might have shooting wide open. I think that in a lot of situations, especially travel, the 70-300 VR will replace the 70-200 VR just because of its size.

What you didn't see in this picture was this pup's "foster dad", who was at my feet, on his back and wanting to play. He came up to me before I started shooting (I was on the ground) and he started licking my face. Probably because he was hungry

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Thu 31-Jan-08 05:24 PM
14365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Colorado Wolves"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

Great image, Jason. I'm drooling over that ISO performance.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Thu 31-Jan-08 06:35 PM
#5. "RE: Colorado Wolves"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

Thanks, Dan. The D3 is astonishing in that regard. It changes the way you shoot.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

jerumball Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2007Sat 02-Feb-08 02:25 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Colorado Wolves"
In response to Reply # 0

Sudbury, CA

Stunning image Jason!

Did you do much post processing on this or is it sooc?

BTW, I love your podcast!!

John

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 02-Feb-08 02:45 AM
7357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Colorado Wolves"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Great shot Jason!

I really enjoy wolf images. Your gallery is great as well.

Thanks for sharing,

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!

ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Sat 02-Feb-08 10:30 AM
554 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Colorado Wolves"
In response to Reply # 0

Katonah, US

Did you know Dogs are descended from Wolves.

Wolves also have a greater biting force that a Lion. Their hunting style differers from the big cats. Wolves chase down their prey - it wears down the other animal by continuous chasing it. It also bites into the animal and hang on - it uses it weight to wear down the animal.

It is a magnificent animal.

Al

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #52582 Previous topic | Next topic