nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #155378
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Some D800 shots" Previous topic | Next topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 25-Apr-13 06:34 PM
11899 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Some D800 shots"

Lowden, US

I just picked up a D800 this last week. Of course, the weather was terrible on my first day off, dark, rainy and cold. I took the camera out anyway to see what it could with the flat light. I kept the ISO at 1600 just to see how the detail held up.

D800 | 400VR + TC17E
f/5.6 | 1/4000s | ISO-1600
This one is a very deep crop - as cropped this is a 4MP image.

f/5 | 1/2000s | ISO-1600 | uncrpped

f/7.1 | 1/1000s | ISO-1600 | small crop

f/7.1 | 1/2000s | ISO-1600 | cropped just a bit smaller than the DX frame.

It appears that, with good exposure, ISO-1600 is as good a ISO-400 on the D300 at the pixel level.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 25-Apr-13 06:46 PM
5196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

You are going to really enjoy that camera!

Nice shots, as usual.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 25-Apr-13 07:05 PM
4425 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Nice Dave!!

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 25-Apr-13 11:34 PM
11899 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

Thanks Jon!

So far, it really looks promising – I can’t wait to get a chance to get out for some serious shooting.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 25-Apr-13 11:34 PM
#4. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

Thanks Al!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Fri 26-Apr-13 12:12 AM
1596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Nice images Dave.
3 looks really nice
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 26-Apr-13 12:50 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

I like the coot Dave. Interesting, looking at dxomark results for Screen (pixel level), the D800 has the DR and colour sensitivity of the D300 (at ISO 400) at ISO 1600 but the D800's SNR is 1.3 dB lower even at ISO 800 - and a whopping 4 dB lower at ISO 1600!

Jim

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 26-Apr-13 02:03 AM
#7. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

Thanks Jim! You know it is a slow day when all you can get is coots and geese.

I am very happy with the sensor performance. It looks like I can shoot up to 1600 without a second thought and 3200 with careful exposure.

I was surprised to get any decent detail in the shot of the golden eye. That would have been past my normal cropping limit even with a DX body

In 1.2 or DX crop I get 5FPS and a buffer capacity of 25 shots (1.2 crop) or 30+ shots (DX crop) using a Lexar 400x 16GB card. The buffer should be a few shots deeper and clear faster with the 1000x cards. That is shooting RAW 12 bit lossless compressed.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 26-Apr-13 02:04 AM
#8. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 5

Lowden, US

Thanks Rick!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 26-Apr-13 02:24 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "That's a scaup Dave!"
In response to Reply # 7

Grimsby, CA

Looking forward to seeing more shots Dave, as it'll give us D7100 adopters a good benchmark for comparison.

Jim

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 26-Apr-13 02:29 AM
#10. "RE: That's a scaup Dave!"
In response to Reply # 9

Lowden, US

Thanks for the ID – I thought I knew what he was so I didn’t look it up.

I have been impressed with the D7100 shots I have been seeing.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberFri 26-Apr-13 03:23 AM
1377 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

Really nice shots, David.

In the first one, I see some personality in that little smile and visible tongue.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Quickone4u Registered since 02nd Dec 2008Fri 26-Apr-13 03:50 AM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Dry Fork, US

Nice shots Dave! Great detail and noise control with the 800, I'm envious! Really like the last goose and the coot. Thank my favorite goes to the goose portrait. Excellent detail, sharpness and exposure in all though. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing you put the new body through its paces.

Mike
Dry Fork,Va.

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 26-Apr-13 04:47 AM
3320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri 26-Apr-13 04:48 AM by Lunastar

Mankato, US

Nice set in "fowl" light, Dave! Couldn't wait for the D400? I know your pain ....

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 26-Apr-13 03:58 PM
#14. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 11

Lowden, US

Thanks Dan!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 26-Apr-13 03:58 PM
#15. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 12

Lowden, US

Thanks Mike!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 26-Apr-13 03:59 PM
#16. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 13

Lowden, US

Thanks Mark! I had to give in to the temptation, it should be a good summer.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Fri 26-Apr-13 04:19 PM
3991 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Great stuff Dave.

You're going to love the D800. I use it for macro (with the 300f/4 and tubes or the 105 f/2.8) and sports. I shot a late game with daylight/stadium light mix and got clean images even up to ISO 2000.

John

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Fri 26-Apr-13 04:34 PM
898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 17

Eugene, US

Great pics, Dave. I am looking forward to your upcoming shots. I am pretty sure the duck isn't a golden eye, but a Lesser Scaup male.

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Sat 27-Apr-13 02:51 AM
1282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmond, US

Very nice! As already said, you are going to love the camera. I am envious of your 400mm f/2.8!

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.

JDT

DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Sat 27-Apr-13 03:08 AM
856 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 19

Woodcliff Lake NJ, & Jacksonvi, US

A while back you were going to wait and see if the D400 appeared, and if not go for D800.....I guess you decided not to wait. I was in the same boat - borrowed the D800 from the local camera shop and I have to say it is really tempting. Great (easy) transition from the D300s.

Congrats on the new D800 and nice captures.

Richard

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 27-Apr-13 08:13 AM
3609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 20

Dyserth, UK

Congratulations Dave, a great decision and shows how well it works in poor light. I appreciate the low light difficulties as it's a daily prerequisite for a wildlife photographers life in the UK I'm afraid

<<A while back you were going to wait and see if the D400 appeared, and if not go for D800>>

That's my story too. In the end I bought the D800 as both a replacement for my beloved D700 and in hope it would do a better job for wildlife than my D7000 with the D800's' high pixel count allowing tight crops. I was not disappointed and apart from a lack of fps it does a fabulous job.

However, although I too wanted a D400, I got fed up with the waiting and pounced on the D7100. For wildlife feather detail etc, the lack of the AA filter on the D7100 is a revelation. Now, I have two cameras which do everything I need in bucket loads My desire for a D400 has diminished somewhat. Together both cameras satisfy my every need.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sat 27-Apr-13 10:28 PM
10944 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 21

Tampa/Lutz, US

If u had to choose between the two which would you recommenced me to get- Im aware of the cost variances.

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D610

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Sun 28-Apr-13 12:09 AM
1805 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Nice set, Dave. Especially for "practice" shots! As others have said, I'm looking forward to seeing the results of a "serious" outing!! Like you, I got tired of waiting for the D400, but I opted for the 7100 instead. And, again like you, I am looking forward to a spring and summer of some serious shooting.
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 02:18 AM
#24. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 17

Lowden, US

Thanks John!

I also got the R1 close up flash kit. I am looking forward to shooting clos-ups in the garden this spring with the D800.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 02:19 AM
#25. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 18

Lowden, US

Thanks Dave!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 02:20 AM
#26. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 19

Lowden, US

Thanks Jim!

The 400 is awsome but man is it heavy.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 02:22 AM
#27. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 20

Lowden, US

Thanks Richard!

It is any easy move from the D300s with some nice control enhancements.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 02:25 AM
#28. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 21

Lowden, US

Thanks Richard!

A D400 could still be the ultimate wildlife camera. I figured that if one ever come along it will be a great pairing with the D800.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 02:27 AM
#29. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 23

Lowden, US

Thanks CK!

The stuff being posted with the D7100 is very impressive.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dda53 Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2008Mon 29-Apr-13 01:46 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Pasadena, US

Congrats on the D800. Looking forward to seeing more of your shots.

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004Mon 29-Apr-13 12:04 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 29
Mon 29-Apr-13 12:04 PM by nrothschild

US

Nice preliminary shots, Dave. The D800 vs D7100 is an interesting choice.

Edit: the Coot is particularly impressive!

my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 04:07 AM
#32. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 30

Lowden, US

Thank you David!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 04:35 AM
#33. "RE: Some D800 shots"
In response to Reply # 31
Tue 30-Apr-13 04:39 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Thanks Neil!

It is hard to get a pleasing coot image – I really liked the water in this one.

The D800 – D7100 is a difficult choice. The images quality of the 7100 is superb, great color even at high ISO and magnificent resolution. The oddly small buffer and the use of only SD cards were big detractors for me as well as some of the control differences.

I had talked to Scott (Bump57) down at L&D-14 – His impressions of the D800 planted the seed that grew into full blown NAS. His eagle shots this year were awesome. He was able to produce images on overcast days that I think would have turned out dull if shot with a D300.

My big concerns about the D800 were the frame rate and the size of distant subjects in the viewfinder. I think the viewfinder issue is not as bad as I had thought it would be. In fact it may help keep me from clipping my subject’s winds.

The frame rate is slow but Scott and other are saying they get more keepers per burst due to the great AF system. I figure that I can shoot in 1.2 crop mode when I need speed and get 5fps (6fps if I get a grip – that’s the same as a D300 without a grip.)

Then reexamining the specs I also realized that the D800 buffer is fairly deep if you shoot 12bit Lossless compressed RAW. Using the CF cards I already have (Lexar 400x 16GB) and shooting 1.2 crop mode I can get a full 5 seconds (25 images) before I hit the buffer limit. Looking at memory card testes it looks like I could add a few frames to that with the 1000x Lexar cards. In DX mode I am getting just over 30 images. That is significantly better buffering than the D300/s and could be more beneficial than the extra 2 FPS.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #155378 Previous topic | Next topic