nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Dubes Moderator Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others  most notably in wildlife photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007
Wed 24-Apr-13 02:04 AM

D7100 + 600mm VR + 1.4TC

Probably the last of my images I'll post from our recent vacation. More traditional poses than the last few I had posted.

Cattle Egret - Jekyll Island, Georgia
Roaming a field with a dozen others, overcast day. A portrait crop fom a landscape shot.
ISO640, f/8, 1/800sec, matrix metering

Click on image to view larger version

Snowy Egret - Jekyll Island, Georgia
ISO320, f/8, 1/1600sec, -0.7EV, matrix metering

Ruddy Turnstone - St. Augustine Beach, Florida - I may have to "pop" in a bit of a highlight in his eye, just looks a little dead.
ISO200, f/8, 1/1600sec, +0.3EV, centre weighted metering

Least Tern - St. Augustine Beach, Florida
ISO200, f/8, 1/1600sec, centre weighted metering

As always, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and look.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Jim Pearce

Grimsby, CA
4397 posts

#1. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004
Wed 24-Apr-13 02:13 AM

That's more like it Richard! I especially like the snowy and the tern. Sharp beak!

Jim

Lunastar

Mankato, US
3668 posts

#2. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 1

Lunastar Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010
Wed 24-Apr-13 02:26 AM

While they are all excellent the cattle egret is my favorite.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

jxv777

Kirkland, WA, US
424 posts

#3. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 2

jxv777 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th May 2009
Wed 24-Apr-13 04:33 AM

Nice photos!

James

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jot2nik

Troy, US
845 posts

#4. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

jot2nik Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007
Wed 24-Apr-13 11:09 AM

Richard well done, like them all but the the Ruddy Turnstone is my favorite.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

rb4good

Rocky Hill, US
5052 posts

#5. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006
Wed 24-Apr-13 12:29 PM

All great images,Richard.
Rick

treadwl

Sunrise, US
1917 posts

#6. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

treadwl Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009
Wed 24-Apr-13 07:11 PM

I like the last two since I don't see them in south Florida.
Excellent as always.

Larry

francine

Thornton, US
973 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#7. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 6

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007
Wed 24-Apr-13 10:24 PM | edited Wed 24-Apr-13 10:26 PM by francine

I just had my husband look up Jekyll Island. Looks like I will be going in July. I hope that would be a good time to see some great birds. Looks like your enjoying the D7100. I cant wait to use mine more. WOrk is taking up to much time.
I love your shots. Not a bad one in the bunch. Were you laying on the sand for the turn?

Quickone4u

Dry Fork, US
620 posts

#8. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

Quickone4u Registered since 02nd Dec 2008
Thu 25-Apr-13 03:00 AM

Wonderful images as always Richard! I particularly like the Snowy Egret. Been a while since I've had the chance to frequant the forums. I assume you have given up the wait for a D300 replacement such as a D400? It appears you and several other of the usual posters have decided to step to the D7100. What are your thoughts on both ends?

Mike
Dry Fork,Va.

slopoki1

Homestead, US
1877 posts

#9. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012
Thu 25-Apr-13 11:27 PM

Very nice shots Richard.
Great color and sharpness.
The egret really catches my eye.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

dm1dave

Lowden, US
12631 posts

#10. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Fri 26-Apr-13 01:08 AM

Super set Richard! You are making that D7100 rock.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"
My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in Nikonians 7 Monthly Photo contests and the Best of Nikonians 2015 Contest

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#11. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

Dubes Moderator Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others  most notably in wildlife photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007
Wed 08-May-13 06:28 PM

Thanks Jim. I know this post dropped off some time ago, but I've had issues to deal with, and now back in the thick of things. Looks like you've had some great opportunities at 50 Point.

Richard

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#12. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 2

Wed 08-May-13 06:29 PM

Sorry for the late reply, had some stuff to take care of. Thanks very much.

Richard

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#13. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 08-May-13 06:30 PM

Appreciate it James, thanks so much.

Richard

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#14. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 08-May-13 06:31 PM

Thanks John.

Richard

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#15. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 5

Wed 08-May-13 06:31 PM

Greatly appeciated Rick. Thanks.

Richard

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#16. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 6

Wed 08-May-13 06:32 PM

Nice to hear from you Larry. Wasn't a "real" birding vacation, but managed a few shots during our vacation; at least when we drive down I can easily bring all my gear.

Richard

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#17. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 08-May-13 06:38 PM

I know this is late Mike, but I've posted my thoughts to others as well. Do I think there's still room in Nikon's line-up for a D400 - personally I think so. A larger body with the familiar controls, a larger buffer, capability to take CF memory cards, a 10 pin remote cable port, faster frame rate. But is is goning to be worth another $300 to $400 more, not sure, I've kept my D300 as a back up, but hardly used since I picked up the D7100.

Richard

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#18. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 9

Wed 08-May-13 06:38 PM

As always Rick, thank you.

Richard

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#19. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 10

Wed 08-May-13 06:39 PM

Thank you Dave, it's taken a little bit of time to getting used to processing images from this camera.

Richard

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#20. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 08-May-13 11:11 PM

Hi Francine, sorry I missed my reply to you. Jekyll Island was an absolutely beautiful spot. Quaint with some very gorgeous deserted beaches, beaches that are quite unique with old fallen upturned trees with exposed roots. Only there for 2 days, didn't any birding spots that were plentiful.

I was down low for the tern shot sitting on my backside. Hope you manage to find some time soon to play around with your new camera.

Richard

t_jones

Laurel, US
676 posts

#21. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

t_jones Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2006
Thu 09-May-13 12:13 AM

Richard,
You make it very difficult to choose a favorite . I have to say some of my earliest field work as a budding ornithologist was counting terns in the Bahamas, so the Least Tern wins! Really nice details on that hard packed sand.
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

Dubes

Mississauga, CA
7149 posts

#22. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 21

Thu 09-May-13 06:03 PM

Once again Tim thank you very much. Many of the birds I have come across this visit and my previous visit to Floruda 15 months ago were firsts for me. I think my wife & I are hooked on making the drive to Florida a regular thing!

Richard

af4nc

Yardley, US
3194 posts

#23. "RE: A few more "traditional" poses - Florida & Georgia" | In response to Reply # 0

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007
Sat 11-May-13 06:09 PM

Nice captures. Nice job.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

G