Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152267
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Magpie in Utah" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 10-Feb-13 11:50 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Magpie in Utah"

Traverse City, US

This bird is everywhere here but one of the toughest to get a decent shot of. They are very weary and every time I've been close enough to get a reasonable shot they've flown off just as I was getting focused. Drove me nuts for years. Finally on a drive around the edge of Utah Lake this weekend one flew into a tree near where I was parked and stayed long enough for me to get a couple decent shots. Light was good and the bird was in a good position to take advantage of that.

D300S Nikon 300mm 2.8 with 1.7TC iso 400 1/1250 at F 7.1 matrix metering

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
kenray Registered since 10th Oct 2008Mon 11-Feb-13 05:03 AM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

Green Valley, US

Best picture I've ever seen of a magpie.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 11-Feb-13 10:33 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Very nice shot.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

STAN__LEE Silver Member Charter MemberMon 11-Feb-13 06:51 PM
6696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

ROSEVILLE, US

Well done, Peter! Once again you are enjoying a 'new' spot. Have been inactive for a while but I was back in time to see your wonderful snow-scapes. stan

Stan Miller
A Roseville, CA Nikonian

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 12-Feb-13 01:17 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Ken

I have a few shots of Yellow Billed Magpies from the Sacramento Valley in California but this is the closest I've been to one of these birds in years. Nice of him to show up on a day when the light was in good position.

Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 12-Feb-13 01:19 AM
#5. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Thanks Victor

I've had some luck once in a while being in the right place at the right time. I think the magpies decided to give me a break.

Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 12-Feb-13 01:21 AM
#6. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 3

Traverse City, US

Thanks Stan

Nice to see you back ... yup.. Spent two years on projects in California then got assigned to this job in Orem last August. It's been a real experience working this close to the Rockies. So much to see around here and do any given weekend. Hoping to get to one of the National Parks south of here soon.

cheers
Peter

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Tue 12-Feb-13 02:28 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

You absolutely nailed these Peter. I've neer seen a magpie in North America.

Jim

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 13-Feb-13 01:10 AM
#8. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 7

Traverse City, US

Thanks Jim

Wow...never seen a magpie... Seems everywhere I've been in this country they're in large numbers. The yellow billed version in California is really striking... Here in Utah they're everywhere, even in the higher elevations in the Rockies. Must be pretty resilient birds to manage life in the mountains.

Peter

ehall Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012Wed 13-Feb-13 05:04 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

South Orange, US

Emory

ehall Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012Wed 13-Feb-13 05:05 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

South Orange, US

Great shots, thanks for sharing, you are inspiring.
Emory

NatureDon Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007Thu 14-Feb-13 12:30 AM
925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Beautiful photos Peter. I have yet to see one of these.

Don

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 14-Feb-13 10:19 AM
#12. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 10

Traverse City, US

Thanks Emory

Gotta give some credit to my subject for being so cooperative. It's been tough getting close to one of these birds at least long enough to get a good shot.

Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 14-Feb-13 10:21 AM
#13. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 11

Traverse City, US

Thanks Don

Come to Utah sometime and you'll see lots of them

Peter

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 15-Feb-13 12:37 PM
5889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Magpie in Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Nice shots Peter, nice balance of the blacks & whites.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152267 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.