nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #147897
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Buffleheads" Previous topic | Next topic
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 12:20 AM
6108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Buffleheads"

Mississauga, CA

A number of these have also returned to our area and I've found these to be one of the most difficult birds to expose for. The black feathers seem to suck in all the light, and the white feathers seem to reflect it all when shooting the males, so we get either blown highlights or deep featureless shadows.

The two shots of the males I've posted here, I waited until I got some ot the iridescence reflecting back of the black head feathers, and underexposed the shots to not blow out all the whites. The female is somewhat easier to expose for.

D300 + 600mmVR + 1.4TC

Male (drake) ISO400, f/7.1, 1/500sec, -0.7EV

Male (drake) ISO400, f/6.3, 1/640sec, -0.3EV

Female (duck) ISO400, f/6.3, 1/250sec, -0.3EV

Thanks for looking

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Mon 19-Nov-12 03:49 AM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Great job handling that difficult (and gorgeous) coloring. Those are beautiful ducks.

Maybe an overcast day with diffuse lighting would be helpful in getting the exposure right, although you got it right in these!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 05:11 AM
1514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

The solution is obvious; you need the dynamic range of a D800. Richard

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 09:40 AM
4361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Well done considering the difficult EV range. Was burning the highlight detail in on the males' heads in PP not an option? Or were they blown?

Al

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 01:34 PM
7332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Great series Richard!! #3 is my favorite.

Thanks for sharing,

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 01:16 AM
6108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 1

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Diane for your kind words and advise. They'll be around for most of the winter in any ice-free waters, so I'll probably get more chances to shoot them. A diffused light would help in toning down the contrast, but you generally you lose the iridescence of the head feathers without some sunlight.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 01:17 AM
#6. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 2

Mississauga, CA

I know Richard, that extra 2+ stops of EV would come in handy sometimes - still sitting on the fence!!

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 01:23 AM
#7. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 3

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Al. I had some small flashes of blown highlights. I find using the burning tool (set for highlights) just seems to turn the whites grey without bringing out any more detail.
I did process the image again however creating a mask around the white head feathers and really pumped up the highlights adjustment in the shadows/highlight menu. Managed to bring out a little more texture in its head.

Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 01:24 AM
#8. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 4

Mississauga, CA

Thanks again Vaughn.

Richard

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 20-Nov-12 01:06 PM
3311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 8

Mankato, US

Awesome detail, Richard! In this case, a little blown highlight is the way it has to be and I'm not sure any camera would handle it with aplomb. Great images!

BTW, I'm on the D800 fence....where's my D400??

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

nutcracker Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2005Tue 20-Nov-12 10:05 PM
151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 9

Dublin, IE

Try Capture One 7, quite amazing what that program can recover in highlights while preserving dark detail. Lovely shots despite the challenging light conditions - worth trying effects of C1 7.

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 23-Nov-12 03:45 AM
#11. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 9

Mississauga, CA

Hi Mark and thanks very much. I'm sure if I'd spend a little more time and perhaps taking shots with some diffused sunlight I could get better results.

With the intro of the lower priced high megapixel DX models (D3200 & D5200) I'm hoping for a the D400 soon. Not sure how much longer I can wait!

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 23-Nov-12 03:46 AM
#12. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 10

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Sean, looked up the software. I'll download the trail when I have some time to play around with it.

Richard

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 23-Nov-12 02:54 PM
4819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Well done!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

niknac37 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Fri 23-Nov-12 03:59 PM
1886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Mysore, IN

Richard, Kudos to you for the series, I love the Rain bow colours in the second pic. I understood your comments on the black and white exposures, thanks for those tips.

Pakku

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Fri 23-Nov-12 06:24 PM
10879 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Great colours as usual-- You could add light in PP if desired..
B?W in close quarters is very difficult....

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D610

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

g1975a Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2007Sun 25-Nov-12 01:45 PM
2220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Cambridge, CA

Nicely shot, Richard. You did well with balancing their colours and iridescence. My course is almost over so I can finally get out for some shots.

--Trying something and not succeeding is a lot better than waiting to fail: the realization of a chronic procrastinator.--

Nikon Digitutor: A great way to learn your camera   Nikonians Member Survey - Win a Markins Q3 Ball Head

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 02-Dec-12 04:01 AM
11744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Very nice series! Great work on those difficult exposures.

I actually like that female the best.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberSun 02-Dec-12 12:55 PM
4639 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#18. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

Cool shots Richard, and a super job with the exposure. I've never seen this type duck before, thanks for sharing.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 02-Dec-12 02:45 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Marvelous shots!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 11:16 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Nice series and good job with that challenging exposure. Like bald eagles, they can be difficult but you did fine.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Mon 03-Dec-12 10:08 PM
1803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 03-Dec-12 10:08 PM by CK

Mississauga, CA

Really nice set, Richard. Capturing both the deep blacks and vibrant whites must be a tremendous challenge. I think you've done about as well as anyone could. Love the colours in the males' heads, and I especially like the female though -- those water droplets are a great touch! Well done, sir.
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 01:44 AM
#22. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 13

Mississauga, CA

Thanks very much John.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 01:49 AM
#23. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 14

Mississauga, CA

Hi Pakku and thank you for stopping by. Sunlight will create this effect on their feathers. From what I've seen a camera such as the D800 would probably handle the dynamic range somewhat better. Hopefully a D400 or D8000 with an improved sensor is not too far fro being launched.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 01:54 AM
#24. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 15

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Preston. If the highlights are blown, it's difficult to bring out any detail. If the shadows are under exposed, you end up with excessive noise. It really is a fine balance using the dynamic range of the D300 sensor with harsh lighting and high contrast.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 01:57 AM
#25. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 16

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Greg, looking forward to getting out again with some of our locals. Hope you enjoyed your courses.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 01:58 AM
#26. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 17

Mississauga, CA

Very kind of you Dave, thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and comment.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 02:01 AM
#27. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 18

Mississauga, CA

Hey Charlie and thanks for your comments. These guys are pretty regular for late fall and can be seen around our area all winter in any open (no ice) water.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 02:01 AM
#28. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 19

Mississauga, CA

Very kind of you Victor, thank you.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 02:07 AM
#29. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 20

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Tom. The difference between these ducks and Bald Eagles, the eagles usually have some texture and hence some shadows in their head feathers. The head feathers in the ducks are "very" smooth and virtually have no texture. Reminds me of the breast feathers of a Cedar Waxwing - also a difficult subject to try and pull out some details.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 02:35 AM
#30. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 21

Mississauga, CA

Nice to hear from you Chuck. Miss your posts, not as many Canadians on here as there used to be. And thanks very much, appreciate your thoughts and comments.

I hope to participate a little more as a "forum" member and participant soon.

Richard

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 05-Dec-12 02:43 AM
4819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 9

Milwaukee, US

Help me under stand what the illusive D400 will "perhaps" do that the D800 or D600 won't do?

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 12:48 AM
#32. "RE: Buffleheads"
In response to Reply # 31

Mississauga, CA

John, I hope what I write below helps and doesn't sound too confusing.

As a bird photographer, I enjoy the crop factor that a DX body (like the D300) gives over the FX full frame of a D800/D600. Mind you having 36 megapixels vs 12 megapixels at your disposal would allow you to do significant cropping in post, but ultimately bring to to approx. the same level as the D300 in terms of pixel density. However the dynamic range, especially of the D800, would be able to give you more details in the shadows & highlights of your images.
My 600mm Nikkor on the D300 (DX) is the equivalent of having to use a 900mm lens on the D800 (FX) body.

Other reasons I'm holding out for a replacement of the D300 vs the D800 is price. I've recently started to consider my investment in good quality lenses as long term (10 years plus), whereas on bodies more short term (3-5 years). I have an excellent normal zoom range lens in the $1300 range new (in Canada), but it is a DX lens (17 to 55). If I invested in a D800 ($3000), plus a new FX normal zoom (24-70 at $1500) and a battery pack ($390) - that is a big investment for something that will be outdated in 3-4 years. Once again I refer to typical dollars in Canada.
The D300 I now have is built like a tank and takes a reasonable amount of abuse without any problems. With the recent intro of the higher megapixel D5200 & D3200, and the big price drops in the D7000, I'm hoping for a new "D400" or equiv to be launched early next year and I'm thinking it will be a better build quality than the D7000 in terms of materials and have a price of between $1800 to $1600 in Canada.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a D800 and I'd love to have one, it's a marvellous piece of engineering and capable of some stunning imagery as we've seen posted here and on other forums. However a prosumer level DX body would fill my needs better, and if one is not introduced soon, I may not have a choice as the camera starts to wear.

Hope this answers some questions, please feel free to contact me off line to address any points that need clarification on my end.

Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #147897 Previous topic | Next topic