Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #147880
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Shooting a Dark Eyed Junco with a Howitzer" Previous topic | Next topic
Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 18-Nov-12 05:10 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shooting a Dark Eyed Junco with a Howitzer"
Sun 18-Nov-12 05:15 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

Well it was a small bird about 42 feet away. What the heck - I put a 2x converter on my 800mm lens and gave it a try. There is a practical limit to huge focal lengths - DOF. I think I had about 1/10 of an inch to play with - manual focus. Bird was also in shadows, so I didn't have a lot of shutter speed available. Not a very good picture, but thought I'd share because the setup was interesting.

D7000, ISO 1400, f13, 1/30, Sigma 800mm and 2X (1600mm), remote release, MUP, Wimberley II, Gitzo 5540

Visit my gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sun 18-Nov-12 08:59 PM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shooting a Dark Eyed Junco with a Howitzer"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Pity there wasn't a bit of colour in the tree trunks Chris. Otherwise i'd say you did a pretty reasonable job with your 'Howitzer'....Scotty.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010Thu 22-Nov-12 04:28 AM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shooting a Dark Eyed Junco with a Howitzer"
In response to Reply # 0

Williamstown, US

Chris,

If you were using a D700, Sigma 800mm and 2X converter it would be equivalent to a focal length of 1600mm. However, since you were using a D7000, which is a DX format, you have to consider the multiplier of an additional 1.5x which gives you an equivalent focal length of 2400mm. Now that is a Howitzer!! Considering the DOF you get with that focal length and the lack of control for lighting your subject, I think you did a good job of capturing this Junco. I know when I see them it tells me that snow could be close. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 25-Nov-12 04:42 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shooting a Dark Eyed Junco with a Howitzer"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Well, the bird is reasonably well focused, so I would say it worked within the limitations of such an interesting setup. You got it!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 26-Nov-12 11:32 AM
7216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Shooting a Dark Eyed Junco with a Howitzer"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Nice shot Chris. It may not be tack sharp, but a good shot nonetheless. How do you like that 800mm lens? That's alot of power considering the teleconverter and the crop factor. The slightest movement can alter the clarity of the shot. I can see a difference when I have my set-up locked down as opposed to when I don't. With wildlife, of course, locking everything down is not always an option.

Thanks for sharing,

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

glo Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2005Mon 26-Nov-12 11:10 PM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Shooting a Dark Eyed Junco with a Howitzer"
In response to Reply # 0

Montgomery, US

Chris:

The only thing wrong with this photo is that you need to do some additional post processing on it.

Here is a quickie using CNX.

The adjustments were:
Levels and Curves - Left slider to value of 5 and right slider to value of 170.
Unsharp Mask Sharpening only on the bird - Intensity 40, Radius 5, Threshold 4.
I then went back and added USM to the eye only - 20,5,4.
Added Noise Reduction to everything except the bird - Intensity 10, Sharpness 5.

Give it a try with whatever PP software you use. I'll bet you will be suprised at how good you can make it look.

Grady
MY GALLERY

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 26-Nov-12 11:57 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Shooting a Dark Eyed Junco with a Howitzer"
In response to Reply # 5

Milwaukee, US

Now that did some really good PP. We all learned or were reminded about those possibilities.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Tue 27-Nov-12 06:37 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Shooting a Dark Eyed Junco with a Howitzer"
In response to Reply # 4

Newburg, US

Thanks Vaughn,

I love the 800mm. I almost never use a converter with it and when I do, it is generally just playing around as I was with this shot. In the past when I've tried it, I've locked it down with a ballhead and a Bogen long lens support or a second tripod.

I always do just as well or better without a converter - especially with the D7000. The vast majority of the bird shots in my gallery were taken with the 800.

Visit my gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #147880 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.