Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61104
View in threaded mode

Subject: "learning flash" Previous topic | Next topic
micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Sat 23-Mar-13 11:39 PM
505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"learning flash"

walkertown, US

Its time to take control of my sb-800 speedlight.just picked up a copy of Mike Hagens creative lighting system book.here I go,questions will be coming soon,lol. Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Isonychia Registered since 19th Apr 2009Sat 23-Mar-13 11:52 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: learning flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Huntington, WV, US

You might also want to check out Strobist.com. David Hobby, a former Baltimore Sun photographer and renowned speedlight genius, has tons and tons of terrific information on that site, with more added all the time.

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Sun 24-Mar-13 12:08 AM
505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: learning flash"
In response to Reply # 1

walkertown, US

>You might also want to check out Strobist.com. David Hobby, a
>former Baltimore Sun photographer and renowned speedlight
>genius, has tons and tons of terrific information on that
>site, with more added all the time.

thanks.put it in my favorites for quick access.

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 24-Mar-13 01:05 AM
6019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: learning flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Its time to take control of my sb-800 speedlight.just picked
>up a copy of Mike Hagens creative lighting system book.here I
>go,questions will be coming soon,lol. Troy

I invite you to read my blog articles here:
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

Read them in order. These are very basic articles on how to take good flash pictures with Nikon equipment. Let me know if you have questions.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Sun 24-Mar-13 04:02 AM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: learning flash"
In response to Reply # 3

Oakland, US

Troy,

Thanks to Russ' blog, I've gone from a strobofobe to an ardent strobe user, with SU800, SB900s AND Westcott 45" umbrellas.

Before Russ I was one of those blurry to the max available light photographers, who had every excuse in the book about why strobes were not cool.

I found the road to flash success is read and practice, practice and read.

Good luck.

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 24-Mar-13 05:20 PM
6019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: learning flash"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Troy,
>
>Thanks to Russ' blog, I've gone from a strobofobe to an ardent
>strobe user, with SU800, SB900s AND Westcott 45"
>umbrellas.
>
>Before Russ I was one of those blurry to the max available
>light photographers, who had every excuse in the book about
>why strobes were not cool.
>
>I found the road to flash success is read and practice,
>practice and read.

Thanks Bob for the nice feedback!

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Sun 24-Mar-13 09:02 PM
#6. "RE: learning flash"
In response to Reply # 3

walkertown, US

thanks a bunch Ron.this is just what I needed.I'm sure that I will have to read it more than once.I am following your suggestion and reading it in order.then I will go back to specific sections as I try to get it correct.I'm thinking a little,simple,home made cheat sheet to help me out untill memory kicks in.this will be a fun spring/summer with a new camera and what will seem like a new flash.

Troy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61104 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.