nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60612
View in threaded mode

Subject: "External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
Nic0807 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2011Tue 22-Jan-13 03:57 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"

Floreal, MU

Hi everybody,
I have a D800 with SB-900 which is performing very well when fixed on my camera. When used in the -- mode (Double-dash mode) to avoid firing the built-in flash but to fire the external SB 900 flash unit, the flash seems to fire properly but the image is still dark... There must be a setting i overlooked. Can someone help me on this please. Regards. Nicolas

Visit my gallery at goupillecom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2008Tue 22-Jan-13 05:51 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 22-Jan-13 05:52 PM by sl33py

Seattle, US

Nicolas,

How far off is it? 1 exposure, 2, or 3?

I'd double check your flash exposure compensation and make sure it's not somehow adjusted negatively?

Have a pic you can post for us to look at?

GL!

rob

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 22-Jan-13 11:08 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Nicolas:

A few questions:

Is the D800 flash mode set to "Commander"?

In the Commander mode window of the D800, what Group and Channel are selected for the remote SB900?

Is the remote SB900 set to "Remote" mode, and the same group and channel as selected in the D800?

Is the SB900 firing in response to the preflash pulses emitted by the D800 popup flash?

Is your flash sync mode set to "Normal", the little lightning bolt symbol in the flash mode window?

Set your flash mode to rear curtain, and then select a two second shutter time. You should see a preflash pulse when you push the shutter button all the way down, then the remote SB900 should respond. Then you should see a low power "fire now" pulse from the popup flash just before the shutter closes, and the remote SB900 should fire with it.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Nic0807 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2011Wed 23-Jan-13 10:07 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Floreal, MU

Hi HBB and Rob,

The camera is set to commander mode, A group, Channel 1 same as the flash. Yes, the flash is set to remote. It seems that everything is set up correctly. I tested the setting on Manual, Speed 1/320s and F/22. When the flash is on the camera, the picture is perfect. However, When flash is off camera, the picture is dark... despite we have the same settings.

I tested different aperture and shutter speed with flash off camera and then the picture is properly exposed. Do you know why?

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 23-Jan-13 04:01 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Nicolas:

I tried to configure my D800E with two different remote speedlights (SB800 and SB700) in remote CLS mode and could not get either of them to work, despite repeated tries. Both speedlights worked successfully in remote CLS mode with a D3.

Later today I am going to take my D800E to my local dealer who said he was successful with the test, and see if we can learn anything.

Is anybody else following this thread experiencing the same problem? If yes, please join the discussion. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 23-Jan-13 09:54 PM
#5. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 4

Phoenix, US

Nicolas:

I confirmed that my D800E apparently has a problem.

At my camera store we configured a D800 exactly as my D800E, including all Shooting Menu options and all Custom Setting Menus from a1 through g4.

Then we tried the store's D800 in Commander mode and it worked perfectly with a remote SB910 in CLS mode.

My D800E would work in all modes except Commander/CLS.

Place you D800 in Commander mode and look at the Flash Mode indicator panel near the bottom left side of the Control Panel screen on top of the camera. In Commander Mode, there should be a small lightning bolt symbol in the top left corner of the Flash Mode indicator. When in Commander mode, this symbol does not appear in my D800E, but it does in the store's D800.

Next, press the "Information" button below and to the right of the Information Display screen. Up in the upper left corner of this screen is the same Flash Mode symbol. The lightning bolt symbol should be in the upper left corner of this panel as well. In my D800 E, it is not there, while it is in the store's D800.

It appears that my D800E is not recognizing the Commander Mode selection. The only indication that this is the case is the absence of the small lightning bolt symbol in the display areas discussed above.

Questions for you:

1) Is your camera a D800 or D800E model? This apparently does not make a difference, but it may help.

2) Second, if you will send me the serial number of your camera by private email, I will forward it to the store manager who will compare it with the serial numbers of other D800/D800E models they have sold. He will then contact the manager of a Nikon repair facility in California that he knows and explain the problem to him. It is helpful to know that the problem is apparently not limited to a single D800. I don't know if the D800 and D800E serial numbers are one set, or two. My D800E is within about 300 or so of the store's D800.

Again, if anybody else would care to try the Commander Mode with a remote speedlight in CLS mode to see if they have the same problem, please join this discussion.

Thanks in advance Nicolas for your cooperation and for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Wed 23-Jan-13 10:41 PM
1282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmond, US

Hi Nicolas,

I shot a few photos with my D800E set in commander mode, using an SB800 and it worked without a problem. Do you have any falsh exposure compensation...or exposure compensation...set? Is your SB900 set in Remote mode with the correct channel and group? Is the "eye" (I can't remember the correct name right now) of the SB900 turned toward the camera so it can see the signal from the commander flash? Status of batteries in the SB900? That's all I can think of at the moment. It should work.

JDT

icslowmo Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2012Wed 23-Jan-13 10:51 PM
576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 24-Jan-13 02:02 AM by icslowmo

Surprise, US

Hey Hal,

I will try this when I get home with my D800E and my my SB910. Will update post. I have used the combo with remote flash, but not sure what mode I was in...

Edit: Home now and my D800E seems to operate the SB910 correctly for me also.

Playing with settings and the only way to get the lightning bolt to show up is to have pop-up flash on Commander mode with TTL selected. If -- is selected I see no lightning bolt on top LCD or under the info screen, but do see it through the view finder.

Hope this helps figure out the issue...

Chris

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Wed 23-Jan-13 11:18 PM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 6

Jackson, US

There was a previous thread discussing this issue:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=11507&mesg_id=11507&page=2

I tried it on my D800 and a SB910 and it worked fine as shown in the photo near the bottom of the thread. I originally suspected the original poster didn't turn his strobe's IR sensor towards the camera. They said it worked only part of the time. Mine also fired when using a SU800 as the controller.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009Wed 23-Jan-13 11:39 PM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 7

Pensacola, US

Works properly on my D800.

Tom Wilby

http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com/f409950484

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Thu 24-Jan-13 12:37 AM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hal:

I have two D800e's and set on camera flash to commander with remote SB900. Both work fine.
I place SB900 on both D800e's in master mode with remote SB 900. This works fine too.

I typically use Pocket wizard and did not pay attention to Nikon CLS but mine are doing well.

If you need serial numbers, I can send it to you too.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

chuckji Registered since 25th Jan 2011Thu 24-Jan-13 01:15 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 5

South Lyon, US

Ok, so I tried this with my D800E and SB700 and SB910.
If I enable Commander Mode with the built-in flash set to "---" mode, the photo is severely under exposed. Additionally, neither the Control Panel screen nor the Information Display screen display the lightning bolt.
If the built-in flash mode is set to "M" or "TTL" both displays show the lightning bolt.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 24-Jan-13 01:31 AM
#12. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Colleagues:

Many thanks for your cooperation and prompt replies.

Chuck, your confirmation test is appreciated. I will pass this to the manager at my local store. I will also wait a couple days or so to see how many more members are able to replicate the problem before we approach the Nikon service station. The more we have, the stronger our case may be.

Thanks again to all of you.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Nic0807 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2011Thu 24-Jan-13 10:46 AM
#13. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 12

Floreal, MU

Hi Everybody,

I checked the camera and it seems that settings related to the Built-in flash in the commander mode (e3) are displayed on the camera (i need to use the info button). However, nothing about the group... I think that this must be normal.

The commander mode on my D800 does control the remote flash...

However, from f12 - f22 the "remote" flash (SB900) has less power compared to the flash "on the camera" socket (same settings applies). Really don't think that It s linked to infra red connection. I must test it with new batteries...?

PS: I tested it with Nikkor lens 24-70mm f/2.8

SweetMK Registered since 23rd Jan 2013Thu 24-Jan-13 02:46 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Is it possible, at f22, you are just asking too much of the flash?

After the shutter is released, is the flash lighting the blinky LED's showing under exposure?

I, in fact, did this yesterday with a SB-700, and the flash was less than 4 feet from the subject.

We need a sample pic, EXIF data, and more info.

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 24-Jan-13 04:59 PM
3762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 24-Jan-13 05:00 PM by gpoole

Farmington Hills, US

Commander mode works fine with my D800e and 2 SB-800s. See my reply to this related thread in the D800 forum at www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=21815&mesg_id=21815 reply #3

One thought. On the SB-800 display the flash shows an underexposure value after the exposure if the flash could not put out the requested amount of light. When I mistakenly had my lens set at f/22 my flash with 0 compensation showed a -2/3 EV under exposure. The other flash that was set at -1.3 compensation did not display any underexposure value. Make sure your flash shows that it was able to provide the requested power.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012Thu 24-Jan-13 09:17 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 5

Manitou Springs, US

>Place you D800 in Commander mode and look at the Flash Mode
>indicator panel near the bottom left side of the Control Panel
>screen on top of the camera. In Commander Mode, there should
>be a small lightning bolt symbol in the top left corner of the
>Flash Mode indicator. When in Commander mode, this symbol
>does not appear in my D800E, but it does in the store's D800.

Hal, with the flash popped up is the lightning bolt there if you're not in command mode? Also, is there a lightning bolt in the proper place when you bring up the info menu? According to the manual, and the way my D800 works, these indicators should be there as long as the flash is up. The control panel should tell you what flash mode you're in (red-eye, slow sync, rear sync, etc.) and the info display should tell you the same thing plus whether you're in TTL, Command, etc. mode.

Russ Lewis
www.FineArtSnaps.com
www.russ-lewis.com

chuckji Registered since 25th Jan 2011Fri 25-Jan-13 01:20 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 15

South Lyon, US

Just to confirm, and maybe Hal will chime in, I think the under exposure problem (and no lightning bolt display) happens when the built-in flash is set to '---', not TTL or M.

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Fri 25-Jan-13 02:02 PM
1282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 13

Edmond, US

f12-f22 is asking a lot of the flash. Check the distance scale at those apertures for normal (not remote) shooting. You will find that the distances are pretty short.

Being on or off the camera should not affect the power of the flash. Therefore I suspect that the distance from the remote flash to the subject is greater than the distance between the camera and your subject.

JDT

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 25-Jan-13 07:21 PM
#19. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 16
Fri 25-Jan-13 09:09 PM by HBB

Phoenix, US

Russ:

Many thanks for joining the discussion.

Chuck: See Below ...

The setup was perfect: SB800 set to "Remote, Group A, Channel 1",

D800E set to "Commander mode, Group A (TTL), Channel 1, two second shutter time, rear curtain sync."

The popup fires once when the shutter opens, but the remote SB800 does not respond. Just prior to the end of the two second shutter time, the popup should emit a second "fire now" pulse. It does not appear.

In Commander mode, the small lightning bolt symbol does not appear in the Control Panel, or the Information Display when the popup is set to off (---), unless I push and hold the Flash Mode/Compensation button. This is apparently to indicate that the popup will not fire while the shutter is open, except for the low-power "Fire Now" pulse necessary to trigger the remotes for image capture.

The lightning bolt symbol appears in both locations when the popup is set to other Commander flash modes (Manual, TTL), without pushing and holding the Flash Mode/Compensation button.

I tried a couple different SB800s and an SB700 (I have twenty Nikon speedlights, including twelve SB800s ...) with the same results. I tested the SB800s on other cameras and they worked perfectly in the remote mode.

In the store yesterday, their D800 worked perfectly in all flash modes, including Commander, when configured identically to my D800E.

I conclude that my D800E is not recognizing the Commander Mode, because:

1) The remote speedlights do not respond to the popup.

2) There is no "Fire Now" pulse emitted by the popup prior to shutter closing.

Next week the dealer is shipping it back to Nikon.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 12:20 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Newton, US

My D800E never triggered remote flashes reliably, not in M or TTL mode. Using M, TTL, or "--" mode for the on camera flash made no difference. After its fourth trip to Nikon service to fix the problem I learned today that they are replacing the camera.

The first two times I sent it to Nikon on my own. The next two I did what I should have done the first time and took it to the store where I bought it, demonstrated the problem, and let them deal with Nikon service.

The on camera flash would light up to send commands but the slaves didn't fire and the on camera flash did not contribute any light to the shot. After the third repair commander mode worked 80% of the time.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=11507

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSat 26-Jan-13 02:11 AM
#21. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 20

Phoenix, US

John:

Thank you for joining this discussion.

I am taking my D800E back to the dealer tomorrow and he will send it to Nikon. I demonstrated the problem earlier this week, and they agree it exists.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sat 26-Jan-13 02:24 AM
3762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 17

Farmington Hills, US

I had my built in set to "--". I only did a few shots, so if it's a probability thing I could have easily missed a failure.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Thatguy Steve Registered since 13th Dec 2012Sat 26-Jan-13 10:59 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 21
Sun 27-Jan-13 10:22 AM by Thatguy Steve

Springfield, US

Yet another disappointment.

I'll be heading up to my local camera shop soon for an SB-910.

After reading this thread though I'm concerned I too will have this issue.

I just purchased "The Nikon Creative Lighting System" book and I was rather excited about picking up a new flash and having a lot of fun.

Things like this frustrate me (and I'm sure all of us D800/D800E owners).

I guess I should just shrug this off as "one of those things that happen" and cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Hell, I'm still worried I have the left focus issue.

I would request though that some of the more experienced flash & CLS operators post a short step by step detailed testing scenario for us flash/CLS newbies.

This way we can run a working test which will allow us to determine if we have this issue.

This would help someone like me quite a lot. Being a flash novice I wouldn't be sure I set things up incorrectly and that was the real reason behind any failed test. So a testing road map would be ideal.

UPDATE: I picked up a new SB-910 late yesterday. I will try and test it later today after I am off work.

Thatguy Steve
Springfield, VA US
Io porto e sparare: Nikon D800E & Springfield TRP

gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 04:56 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 5

Mystic, US

Just tested a recent D800E, SN 301xxxx, and CMD mode works as expected controlling SB900 and SB800, in either or both groups A and B.

Gerry

Thatguy Steve Registered since 13th Dec 2012Mon 28-Jan-13 09:50 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 23

Springfield, US

I just ran a test with my new SB-910 and it worked.

The following was a simple test to determine if there are any issues with my D800E set in CLS Commander Mode to trigger an SB-910 in Remote Mode ....

SB-910 Setup

. Turned flash on as REMOTE

. Set Group to 'A'

. Set Channel to '1'

Positioned the flash about 8 feet away on my right so the light sensor window for wireless remote flash was visible to me and the D800E.

D800E

. Menu item e3, Commander Mode, Built-in flash (mode) set as '--'

. Menu item e3, Commander Mode, Group A (mode) set as TTL

. Menu item e3, Commander Mode, Group B (mode) set as TTL

. Menu item e3, Commander Mode, Channel set as 1

. Set the camera to Manual Mode

. Popped the on-camera flash.

. Composed, focused, metered the exposure.

. Positioned the D800E off my face so I could view the flash triggering.

. Took the shot.

Results .....

I viewed the SB-910 & D800E both flash.

I'm assuming this simple test is adequate and I can confirm that using my SB-910 as a wireless remote slave functions properly.

If anyone knows of some other scenario I should setup and test please let me know.

Thatguy Steve
Springfield, VA US

Thatguy Steve Registered since 13th Dec 2012Wed 30-Jan-13 10:02 PM
#26. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 25
Wed 30-Jan-13 10:07 PM by Thatguy Steve

Springfield, US

UPDATE:

I went back and reviewed all of the literature on CLS & Commander Mode (in the "--" double-dash mode):

"The built-in (pop-up) flash should be turned off. Even though it is off during the actual exposure, it still sends out light pulses to control all of the Remote flashes in the system."

See, The Nikon Creative Lighting System, 2nd edition, page 223, figure 10.5.

This indicates that I too have this issue since both flashes did fire even though I was in "--" double-dash mode ??????

Or am I missing something? If I am, someone please let me know.

Future software update Nikon ??????

Thatguy Steve
Springfield, VA US

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 31-Jan-13 03:32 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 26

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>UPDATE:
>
>I went back and reviewed all of the literature on CLS &
>Commander Mode (in the "--" double-dash mode):
>
>"The built-in (pop-up) flash should be turned off. Even
>though it is off during the actual exposure, it still sends
>out light pulses to control all of the Remote flashes in the
>system."
>
>See, The Nikon Creative Lighting System, 2nd edition, page
>223, figure 10.5.
>
>This indicates that I too have this issue since both flashes
>did fire even though I was in "--" double-dash mode
>??????
>
>Or am I missing something? If I am, someone please let me
>know.

I think you misunderstand how it works.

When in the "--" mode, the commander still sends out its command pulses to fire the Remote, which makes the exposure.

And, if you look at the Commander during this process, you will see it fire its flash when the command pulses are sent out. This is a very low power flash, but it is easy to see visually. This low power flash pulse is fired right after the shutter opens, and it will contribute slightly to the exposure if you are very close to the subject.

So, from what you said, I believe your camera and flash are working properly.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 31-Jan-13 03:33 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I confirmed that my D800E apparently has a problem.

FWIW, I just checked my D800, and it is functioning correctly.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 31-Jan-13 08:02 PM
#29. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 26

Phoenix, US

Steve:

To clarify just a bit:

The low power trigger pulse is sent out by the commander while the shutter is open. Its function is to tell all of the remotes to "Fire Now" for image capture. It will occur right after the shutter opens, unless you are in rear curtain sync mode, in which case it will occur just prior to shutter closing.

As Russ indicated, the trigger pulse is very low power and will contribute to the exposure if the subject is quite close to the camera. If this is a problem, obtain a Nikon SG-3IR (about $12 or so) and place it in the camera's hot shoe. The small filter goes in front of the popup flash and absorbs the visible component of the preflash and trigger pulses, while passing the InfraRed (IR) component that the remote speedlights are looking for.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Craig Bennett Registered since 29th Oct 2012Mon 04-Feb-13 09:31 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 29

Rio Rancho, US

I checked both of my D800e's with two SB-910's and one SB-900. It works as expected on my cameras.

Escaladieu Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2010Mon 14-Apr-14 04:49 PM
746 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: External Flash with D800's Double Dash Mode"
In response to Reply # 4

Artiguemy, FR

>Nicolas:
>
>I tried to configure my D800E with two different remote
>speedlights (SB800 and SB700) in remote CLS mode and could not
>get either of them to work, despite repeated tries. Both
>speedlights worked successfully in remote CLS mode with a D3.
>
>Later today I am going to take my D800E to my local dealer who
>said he was successful with the test, and see if we can learn
>anything.
>
>Is anybody else following this thread experiencing the same
>problem? If yes, please join the discussion. Thanks in
>advance.
>
>Regards,
>
>HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
>Nikonian Team Member

>
> Photography is
>a journey with no conceivable destination.

Yes I have it. Others do too. There's blog post somewhere on the web which documents it. Nikon Germany told the photographer who reported it that a FW fix would be issued early this year. BUT it seems that a circuit board may need to be replaced as well.

Try your test with lens wide open the tflash will fire under these circumstances.

I reported this to Nikon uk who told me it would be a chargeable fix.

Jeff

Personal Blog
http://www.blog-jeff-holdgate.co.uk

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60612 Previous topic | Next topic