Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59185
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon sb900 flash" Previous topic | Next topic
jaclegau Registered since 28th Sep 2006Wed 22-Aug-12 03:43 PM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon sb900 flash"

Lachenaie, CA

Hi !

Just bought, at a good price, a used SB900 which works well but I have a problem that I hope someone will be able to help me with.
When I take a picture, the flash does not fire rignt away. It seems to focus then fires. This is good for someone posing or an object but for sport photography or movinfg subjects, I would need it to flash immediately. Can someone help me ?

Thanks

Jaclegau
Modérateur Nikonians
Nikonians®, l'endroit où rencontrer les photographes Nikon® du monde entier
"Partager, Apprendre et Inspirer..."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 22-Aug-12 04:10 PM
8482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon sb900 flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Jacques:

Two things to check:

1) Camera's speedlight sync is set to rear curtain.

2) Speedlight is set to "Red Eye Reduction", in which case you will see a series of brief pulses prior to shutter opening to constrict subject's pupils before firng for image capture.

If this doesn't clear things up, let us know and we can continue.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

jaclegau Registered since 28th Sep 2006Thu 23-Aug-12 10:24 PM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon sb900 flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Lachenaie, CA

How do I set the flash sync on the camera to rear curtain and the speedlight to red eye reduction If I use red eye reduction, it pulses and then fires. What I would like is to be able to have the speedlight flash at the same time that I push the shutter release button.
It might seem obvious to a lot of people but I never used a flash except the strobes I use in studio because I always tried to stay away from them. But now, I am asked to shoot a wedding in the family and since I might need one, I decided to buy this one.

Thanks.

P.S. I was hoping you would answer because i remembered a photo of you with a table full of flashes

Jaclegau
Modérateur Nikonians

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 24-Aug-12 01:53 AM
8148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon sb900 flash"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

What Hal was getting at is that rear curtain will delay triggering. You want it set to front curtain sync. Red eye reduction will delay flash triggering to allow for the pulses that reduce red eye.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 24-Aug-12 06:09 AM
26115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon sb900 flash"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Jacques,

You can verify the flash mode that the camera is in by pressing the flash button (lightning bolt symbol) on the front left side of the prism housing and checking the top LCD display.
If the flash mode is set to red-eye reduction mode (eye symbol), slow sync mode (SLOW) , or to rear sync mode (REAR) just rotate the Command dial until only the lightning bolt symbol on the edge of the box (front curtain mode) is displayed.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jaclegau Registered since 28th Sep 2006Fri 24-Aug-12 04:10 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon sb900 flash"
In response to Reply # 4

Lachenaie, CA

Thanks everybody. Everything works fine.

Jaclegau
Modérateur Nikonians

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 24-Aug-12 06:44 PM
8482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon sb900 flash"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Jacques:

Please accept my apology for my terse response to your question. I should have gone a bit farther.

Thanks to Scott and Marty for covering for me.

I'm glad everything is working for you.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 24-Aug-12 08:42 PM
26115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon sb900 flash"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Jacques,

Outstanding!
Enjoy.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59185 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.