Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #22669
View in threaded mode

Subject: "The World of Nikon Speedlights" Previous topic | Next topic
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 18-Apr-07 09:28 AM
50351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The World of Nikon Speedlights"
Sat 16-May-09 05:39 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

An interesting site with some helpful information:

The World of Nikon Speedlights

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jmp Registered since 26th Feb 2006Sat 26-May-07 11:09 PM
115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Gettysburg, US

Great link, I am ready to take the leap from my SB-28's and guessing it, Is there any more info on the wireless system on the site?
I have 2 D70's and a D2h. If I'm correct I'll need a SB800 as my main and can use the SB600 for the other 3, is that correct?
Thanks in advance
jmp
www.jimmucklinphotography.com

jmp
www.jimmucklinphotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

petefoto Registered since 11th Mar 2002Sun 01-Jul-07 09:38 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 1

WELLINGTON, NZ

hi if you like nikon flash and how to use it

try this site strobist.com. they deal with sb 24 flashs with stands and umbellas as well as bungy corded on to post and walls etc

it is a real eye opener what these flashs can do with a little bit of imagination

cheers peter

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Thu 12-Jul-07 02:59 PM
1270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmond, US

Thanks for the link. Does anyone other than me find the Nikon websites difficult to navigate? It seems that one should be able to go to nikonusa.com and link to any relevant site. I have not figured out how to do that. I may just be missing something. Any helfful hints?

JDT

NikonianGeorge Registered since 05th Aug 2007Tue 21-Aug-07 10:51 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 3

San Francisco, US

I have the same complaint about the website. I get better results when I go to the tech support section and the Nikon Knowledge Database. Also, I have found the USA telephone tech help people to be very helpful in trying to get to the correct webpage, and their service is free.

Not necessarily the answer you're looking for, but I hope it helps.

NikonianGeorge

Fishwish Registered since 06th Aug 2007Mon 01-Oct-07 09:38 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 4

Waterbury, US

Hi Gang, I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure this whole speedlight thing. I just purchase A D-40 which is my first ever DSLR,but I've been around cameras and Nikons particularly as long as I can remember. I'm no big fan of flash since they always gave me a differant look and issues I didn't want. Ibout a cheapo auto-focus TTL flash unit a while ago so I could play with it but I really don get what it's suppossed to do and how it's doing it. I used it on the D-40 around the house and it just seems to wash all my pictures out. I get the impression that this is really a "For film camera flash Unit".No problem I still own have and use my FTN as well as my N6006. My question to get down to it is I'm getting the impression that the unit I need for my D-40 is an SB-400 or SB-600 or the SB-800. All fairly pricey but if I have to do it I will.Any guidance at all is much appreciated. I really don't mind doing my own research but I seem to be spinning in circles here. I thank any who respond in advance..David

HeyChief Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Sat 06-Oct-07 01:28 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 5

Panama City, US

Hi Guys & Gals.

When I bought my D70 a couple of years ago, I soon purchased an SB-800 & an SB 600. It took me about two weeks to figure out the instructions in the camera's and both flash's manuals.

Bought the wireless "trigger" and played with the trio around the house, much to my better half's dismay & annoyance. With the help of the guy who sold me the equipment at the camera store I was able to finally master the "magic".

Since then I haven't taken very many pictures utilizing flash. Now every month or so I have to sit down and figure it out all over again.

dafunk4344 Registered since 23rd Jan 2007Sun 04-Nov-07 02:58 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Thanks...these are helpful links.

tulasinandan Registered since 09th Jul 2007Wed 02-Apr-08 05:19 PM
126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 03-Apr-08 04:29 AM by tulasinandan

US

This link was working till yesterday but it's not working today. The website says that the page has been moved or deleted.

Edit: Here is the latest link:

The world of Nikon Speedlights

Best,
Tulasi

http://picasaweb.google.com/tulasinandan/
http://flickr.com/photos/tulasinandan

Poetess Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2008Wed 28-May-08 02:33 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

Thanks for posting that link!!! I am seriously considering the purchase of an SB 800. Some very cool pic examples/how-to information on there!

*thumbs up*

"Happiness cannot be found in examining unhappiness." ~ Me

View My Gallery

snapper_irwin Basic MemberFri 11-Jul-08 11:12 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 9

Make sure that you read precisely what functionality your proposed flash will have for the camera that you intend to use it on.

I, for instance, have a D200 camera and a SB80DX gun and, having now checked the Nikon site, have identified that the only functions available are 'A' and manual.
Slightly more variations on my D100, but only slightly.

I'm not sure precisely what flash gun Nikon actually recommend for the D200 camera.

Singularly unimpressed.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 17-Jul-08 01:11 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 10

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Make sure that you read precisely what functionality your
>proposed flash will have for the camera that you intend to use
>it on.
>
>I, for instance, have a D200 camera and a SB80DX gun and,
>having now checked the Nikon site, have identified that the
>only functions available are 'A' and manual.
>Slightly more variations on my D100, but only slightly.
>
>I'm not sure precisely what flash gun Nikon actually recommend
>for the D200 camera.
>
>Singularly unimpressed.

All of the newer Nikon DSLRs work best with flashes that support Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System), which is far more advanced than any of the older systems. These flashes include the SB400, SB600, SB800, and the new SB900(not out yet).

My main camera is a Nikon D200 and I have a D70 as a backup. I use SB800s and SB600s on both cameras.

Nikon CLS is a very advanced system that uses a series of preflashes to send commands to remotes as well as measure reflected energy from the subject in order to set flash power.

The reason the older TTL systems were abandoned is that they depended on a reflection of light energy from the film itself, during the exposure, to determine when the exposure was correct. In DSLRs the reflectivity idea was tried in the D100 and it didn't work so well. So, Nikon went an entirely different direction - CLS.

CLS works very well, but as you pointed out, it is not fully compatible with older cameras, and older flashes are not fully compatible with newer cameras.

I invite you to read my blogs about CLS.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/
http://NikonCLSPracticalGuide.blogspot.com/

Tvrieling Registered since 12th Apr 2008Sat 16-Aug-08 06:11 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 11

Chino, US

Hey guys, I also shoot D200's, SB800 as primary flash and I have 2 SB600's that I use for remote flashes. I must admit that I am struggling getting consistant results with flash photography. How do you recommend setting up the camara and flash for mobile point and shoot of people and things. I also use a Quantum Turbo SC battery pack.

Tim

Reilly M Registered since 26th Jul 2008Mon 18-Aug-08 08:54 PM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 12

Monrovia, US

Tim,
If you want to get serious buy "Light-Science and Magic" by Hunter, et al.

Tvrieling Registered since 12th Apr 2008Tue 19-Aug-08 01:18 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 13

Chino, US

I will check it out. Thanks

Tim

voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007Thu 27-Nov-08 02:45 AM
415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Your fabulous blog"

Montreal, CA

"I invite you to read my blogs about CLS."

Russ, I just followed your advice and was amazed by all the valued information you have shared! One reader suggested you should write a book, but you have in effect done that with your blog!

Well done - the engineer in you shines in your methodical, well laid out articles.

I have bookmarked your site and will visit again soon!

Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers!
Frederic in Montréal

Nothing ventured... nothing gained!
http://www.RemarkableImages.ca

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 27-Nov-08 12:54 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Your fabulous blog"
In response to Reply # 15

>"I invite you to read my blogs about CLS."
>
>Russ, I just followed your advice and was amazed by all the
>valued information you have shared! One reader suggested you
>should write a book, but you have in effect done that with
>your blog!
>
>Well done - the engineer in you shines in your methodical,
>well laid out articles.
>
>I have bookmarked your site and will visit again soon!
>
>Thanks again for sharing.
>
>Cheers!
>Frederic in Montréal

Frederic,

Thank you so much for that kind feedback! I am so happy you find my work useful!

You have made my day!!

Merci and Happy Thanksgiving!! (I realize you celebrated it in Oct in Canada)

Russ
http://russmacdonaldphotos.com/

Terry Beeson Registered since 01st Dec 2008Wed 03-Dec-08 12:56 AM
130 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"

Nixa, US

Russ,

I just learned more about flash from reading two of your blogs than I could learn in a year of taking photos... Very informative and easy to understand. Thank you for posting a link to that blog. I will be visiting it again for sure.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 03-Dec-08 02:05 AM
#18. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 17

>Russ,
>
>I just learned more about flash from reading two of your blogs
>than I could learn in a year of taking photos... Very
>informative and easy to understand. Thank you for posting a
>link to that blog. I will be visiting it again for sure.

Terry,

Thank you!

Russ

Pinata Registered since 13th Jun 2007Fri 12-Dec-08 12:45 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"

US

>I invite you to read my blogs about CLS.
>
>Russ
>http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/
>http://NikonCLSPracticalGuide.blogspot.com/

I invite you to read Rus's blog about CLS. It is a REALLY REALLY good read.

afrawley76 Registered since 03rd Dec 2008Mon 15-Dec-08 06:27 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#20. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 19

Scottsdale, US

Hey Russ,

I just started looking over your blog... great stuff. I just have one idea or recommendation. It would be more work, but you obviously enjoy using your time to help others. Anyway, in a couple of the blogs so far i found that i wasn't sure exactly what you were talking about when talking about certain things. Most of it i know what you mean, but an idea may be to post a couple pictures with your blogs. When you mention lightsphere, some people may not know what it is. When you mention attaching brackets, etc. some people may be confused. Of course, since you are taking up your time, the reader could just google stuff and see pictures, but it is just an idea.

Tony

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberMon 15-Dec-08 07:03 PM
#21. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 20

>I just started looking over your blog... great stuff. I just
>have one idea or recommendation. It would be more work, but
>you obviously enjoy using your time to help others. Anyway,
>in a couple of the blogs so far i found that i wasn't sure
>exactly what you were talking about when talking about certain
>things. Most of it i know what you mean, but an idea may be
>to post a couple pictures with your blogs. When you mention
>lightsphere, some people may not know what it is. When you
>mention attaching brackets, etc. some people may be confused.
>Of course, since you are taking up your time, the reader could
>just google stuff and see pictures, but it is just an idea.
>
>Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm glad you find my blogs useful, and thank you for your inputs. I recommend you read them in their numbered order, as I sometimes refer back to things I discussed in earlier articles.

I enjoy writing these articles for myself as much as others. It is where I put all the info I have learned about the Nikon flash system over the years, much of which was not documented well anywhere else. In fact many of the early books about CLS had some pretty serious mistakes. Then, when I want to remember the details about something, I go back and read my own articles.

I write these articles under the assumption that the reader has very little understanding about CLS but a fair amount of general photography knowledge and experience, so I dig into the the CLS and lighting areas in minute detail while leaving the rest to Nikonians Forums and Google.

For instance, I assume the average reader will know about the Gary Fong Light Sphere, but that he/she won't really understand the differences between TTL and TTL-BL. So far, this assumption has proven to be correct for the most part. However, I do answer a lot of much more basic questions in the comments after the blog and by email.

Please feel free to email questions or feedback to me or post in the comments areas.

Russ

Dinophyte Registered since 25th Sep 2008Sat 27-Dec-08 05:29 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Thanks for creating the blog for the Nikon CLS. It's a good resource for all. Happy holidays, D

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 27-Dec-08 01:14 PM
#23. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 22

>Thanks for creating the blog for the Nikon CLS. It's a good
>resource for all. Happy holidays, D

You're most welcome!

Merry Christmas!

Russ

LeeLaFontaine Registered since 01st Jan 2009Sat 03-Jan-09 04:45 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 18

salem, US

Russ; I too am a novice at flash photography, although I do quite a bit of it. However, I know little of the science of it, so simply rely on the 'try-try, and try again' method. Thank goodness for digatal. I read a little of your CLS practicle guide and bookmarked it. It's wonderful and will be very helpful. I just wanted to say a big thank-you. Many thanks. Lee

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 18-Mar-09 12:36 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 18-Mar-09 12:40 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

To update and add additional Nikon Speedlight links:

The World of Nikon Speedlights - includes a virtual SB-800 and R1C1 sections. Global Nikon Imaging site

Fast Track Guide to Wireless Speedlights - illustrated guide to setting up Master and Remote units with SB-900/800/600, R1C1, and the D700/300/200/90/80 cameras. Includes a glossary of Nikon CLS Wireless terms. Nikon USA.

All Nikon local/regional sites should have product manuals for downloading.

Do not forget Russ's Nikon CLS Practical Guide and the Strobist blogs.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 30-Mar-09 05:48 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You can also use D-SLR and Nikon Speedlight Compatibility to see how various cameras and SpeedLights itneract with each other.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 26-Oct-09 01:42 PM
#27. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 26

Chicago, US

Some additional links:

SB-800 Techniques
SBR-200 Samples
TTL Flash System allows the use of TTL remote or TTL multi-flash sync cords for TTL off-camera or multi-flash photography
Using the SG-3IR
What is the AF-assist illuminator?
When I use an external flash sometimes my images are underexposed. Why?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 19-Nov-09 02:12 PM
#28. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 27

Chicago, US

Not Nikon Speedlight sites but an aid to help document your strobe setups:

Professional Snapshoots: Photo Diagram for interactive setup.

Online Lighting Diagram Creator provides an interactive diagram (export to Jpeg or PNG) and down loadable objects for PhotoShop and PhotoShop Elements.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 08-Dec-09 02:57 PM
#29. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 27

Chicago, US

Revised link to SB-800/600 Techniques.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Tue 22-Dec-09 04:48 AM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"

Summit, US

Hi Russ,
I also am one of your fans and found your blog on bounce lighting to be extremely helpful. I'm the guy who, in another forum, was having problems getting yellow skin tones with SB800 bounce flash. Using your suggestions and one other, helped solve my problem. The first being: 1) set flash to iTTL/FP to help seperate flash system from camera 2) set camera to manual 3) use a higher shutter speed - 1/125 sec in my case, to minimise influence of ambient light. 4) Use the orange gel over the flash to help take out possible yellow skin tones. 5) And my own idea (sort of) turn the flash head to 90 degrees with orange gel in place, with expodisc over the lens and take a custom reading off the ceiling. "whala" (I'm sure this is spelled wrong) Perfect bounce lighting, great natural skin tones. I may never use available light in these situations again! Thanks again Russ. You saved me much time and effort with your suggestions. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

efeibush

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 18-Feb-10 02:40 PM
#31. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 26

Chicago, US

Some additional articles

Shooting Techniques

Flash Points: The Control of Light
Joe McNally: Control of Color - Part 1
Joe McNally: Control of Color - Part 2
Joe McNally: Repeating Flash
Nikon-Camera-Technology: Camera-Flashes

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Choja Registered since 13th May 2010Wed 19-May-10 02:25 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been asked and answered...

I'm stuck. I photograph a lot of babies and children - usually at their homes using a portable studio setup.

I'm at the point where I'm about to either buy a couple of strobes, OR, get another Speedlight SB-900 and use it as a second light source behind a second softbox.

So... do I go for strobes or another speedlight?

Can someone just bullet-point me the advantages of both scenarios?

Many thanks indeed.

Richard

www.richardbarryphotography.com

'Creating Art With One Eye Closed'

Choja Registered since 13th May 2010Fri 21-May-10 04:02 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 32

AU

hello??

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 21-May-10 04:42 PM
#34. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 33

Chicago, US

This pinned post is for links to documentation and links to general information about Nikon CLS Speedlights.

You post probably should have been a new post with different subject line. In the main page of the forum, just click on 'Post' option just above the forum navigation bar.

You might also want to include some additional information

How to you want to power your setup?
How much money do you want to spend?
Do you want to use light modifiers like umbrellas or soft boxes?

You should also consider if you know how to manually control strobes.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

jjm203z Registered since 17th Dec 2007Fri 24-Sep-10 02:04 PM
1685 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 34

Dupont, US

Our very own Nikon Workshop coordinator Mike Hagen has written a great hands on tutorial book on the cls system. Can be purchased here and at barnes and noble and with it get a discount on your nikonians renewal.

dmann Registered since 01st May 2010Tue 26-Oct-10 01:55 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>An interesting site with some helpful information:
>
>The
>World of Nikon Speedlights>
>

This site is awesome!!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 21-Jan-11 03:19 PM
#37. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 21-Jan-11 03:21 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Check out the SB-700 Sample Images. There are some samples of light modification using white paper, tracing paper and a pane glass. Nikon also show the use of the SG3-IR to suppress the commander trigger flash.

You can use these tips, even if you do not own an SB-700.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Photo Grapher Registered since 28th Mar 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 04:15 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 30-Mar-11 04:16 AM by Photo Grapher

Calcutta, IN

Thanks Asgard...but the link takes to a page which has moved...

Visit My Nikonians Gallery

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 14-Apr-11 05:09 PM
#39. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 38
Thu 14-Apr-11 05:14 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You will need to look through the post, as there is a time limit on being able to edit a post. I have posted updated links a couple of times, since I was not able to go back and edit my previous post for an updated link.

It is also possible that the entire Nikon site is being updated with possible new products and many links have been disabled during this update period.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 07-Jan-12 08:04 PM
#40. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 25

Chicago, US

Update to Fast Track to Wireless Speedlights updated to add the SB-700 but no new cameras.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

RH Photography Registered since 13th Jan 2012Wed 18-Jan-12 11:39 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The SB-910 is the newest of the speedlights and I'm trying to get as much information about this Nikon product before my purchase. What I'm looking for is some hands comments from product end users you.
I have the D7000 and if anyone has this camera with the SB-910 please post any pro/con comments. If you also have recommendations of another speedlight product please also comment.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 20-Jan-12 04:30 PM
#42. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Some sample pamphlets. They also include setup instructions that could be applied to otter Speedlights.

SB-910 Sample Images
SB-700 Sample Images

George
My Nikonian Galleries

RH Photography Registered since 13th Jan 2012Tue 24-Jan-12 12:04 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 42

US

So this may be a silly question. As I said I have the Nikon D7000 and I'm looking at getting the SB-910. What accessories would I also need to get to us the flash remotely? Would I also need the SU-4 Wireless Remote TTL Flash Controller? Is there anything else I would need?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 06-Feb-12 10:46 PM
#44. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 43

Chicago, US

Nothing. The D7000 has a built in flash that can act as a Commander/Master for for Remote SB-700/600/800/900/910 in wireless TTL or Manual Remote. The SB-700/800/900/910 all have a built-in SU-4 control port.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Thu 22-Mar-12 09:43 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Waynesville, US

Link does not work for me so is there an update or?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 13-May-12 03:41 PM
#46. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 45
Sun 13-May-12 03:46 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Pretty old link. Have you scrolled down and looked at the many other links provided, including some updated links for older pages being replaced.

It appear the page no longer exist at Nikon USA or Nikon global sites.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

TashSt Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for her great compositional insight and talent, as she is always willing to experiment with new perspectives. This is particularly evident in the exceptional, captivating images she posts in the Nude Forum where she always shares in the Nikonians spirit.
Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Fri 25-May-12 11:58 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 36
Sat 26-May-12 12:06 AM by TashSt

AU

this post edited because the question was already answered.

www.impressstphotography.com

drmanubmengi Registered since 14th May 2012Fri 01-Jun-12 09:30 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 43

IN

Hello there,

I'm buying D3200 in a week or so & i already have SB 800. Do i need to buy anything else to remote flash photography which i'll be doing so for the 1st time as i have really been inspired by you guys.
What is the set up i require?

I own D70 & till now was just doing some bounce flash & nothing else.

Dr. Manu Mengi
Loves Photography

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Mon 15-Oct-12 01:06 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

That link is broken. "The page you are trying to access does not exist or has been moved."

Clay
Austin, TX USA

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Mon 15-Oct-12 01:10 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 49

Austin, US

Could someone please update the link and pin a new post?

Clay
Austin, TX USA

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 15-Oct-12 02:17 PM
#51. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 50

Chicago, US

The page no longer exist. Most likely Nikon brought it down because they did not want to update the interactive pages for the D700/900/910 features.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

b702sc Registered since 23rd Dec 2012Tue 08-Jan-13 10:19 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#52. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Russ,

I have to say thank you as well for your CLS blog. I learned a ton in just reading for 10 minutes. I have a much better idea of how the speedlight works now. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Bill

archer4219 Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Tue 26-Mar-13 05:02 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: The World of Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 23

Surrey, CA

Hi Russ,

I also bookmarked your blog. Lots of info.

Thanks,
Ariel

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #22669 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.