nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What does this SB700 display mean?

clayolmstead

Austin, US
197 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
clayolmstead Registered since 21st Jul 2010
Sun 28-Oct-12 02:07 PM

From time to time I get this display on my SB700 when it's in TTL mode. (It's attached to a D80). When this happens, the flash works in manual mode, but not TTL. Changing modes on the camera doesn't make this go away, but sometimes it does go back to TTL mode all by itself. Another interesting tidbit: when I push the flash mode button on the camera, the built-in flash pops up, as if it didn't know there was an external flash attached. It seems like it never happens on fresh batteries, but it doesn't happen very often, so that might just be a coincidence.

There's no information on this in the manual. Any clues as to what's happening?

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Clay
Austin, TX USA

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#1. "RE: What does this SB700 display mean?" | In response to Reply # 0

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sun 28-Oct-12 04:43 PM | edited Sun 28-Oct-12 08:28 PM by gkaiseril

See Page H-4 or you user guide.

Warning Indicator:
Incompatible camera warning (non-CLS-compatible)

Cause:
The mode selector is set to or , or the power switch/wireless mode switch for multiple flash units is set to or when used with a non-CLS-compatible camera.

Solution:
Set the power switch/wireless mode switch for multiple fl ash units to and the mode selector to .

Reference page:
F-1

I would also add a loss of power, low power, Speedlight movement (not locked or loose) that causes the communication between the camera and Speedlight to be lost and not properly reestablished.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

clayolmstead

Austin, US
197 posts

#2. "RE: What does this SB700 display mean?" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 28-Oct-12 11:50 PM

The D80 is CLS compatible (at least most of the time). I have read that there's a difference between pre-D90 CLS and D90 or later: there was some Chinese flash linked to on Strobist that was only compatible with D90 or later. I wonder if that's a factor?

It was locked down, but next time it happens I'll try wiggling it around to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#3. "RE: What does this SB700 display mean?" | In response to Reply # 2

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Mon 29-Oct-12 01:56 PM

You might try cleaning the electrical contacts. If there is a bad connection or no connection then the Speedlight assumes the camera is not a CLS camera.

The pre-D90 dSLRs do not have full control of the SB-400, but that does not mean a different CLS. The SB-600/800 still works as CLS uints on the newer dSLRs. The other change is that the SB-400/700/900/910 do not work with TTL film cameras but the SB-600/800 both support TTL film cameras. I would not consider that a different CLS.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

clayolmstead

Austin, US
197 posts

#4. "RE: What does this SB700 display mean?" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 30-Oct-12 12:58 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll work on clearing up those contacts.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

G