Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59583
View in threaded mode

Subject: "CR123A Question" Previous topic | Next topic
Tropic Lightning Registered since 09th Oct 2009Sun 21-Oct-12 04:09 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CR123A Question"

Midlothian, US

Hello Gang,

I have a question. I have acquired the R1C1 and 4 SB-R200's, this comes with a problem. CR123A batteries are expensive. I did a web search and found a site that sells rechargable CR123A batteries. My question is are these rechargable batteries a worthwhile investment? I have spent too much money on gear to have it ruined by being cheap on batteries. The site is http://www.cr123batteries.com/?gclid=CKTcrL-7krMCFS-RPAodkFoAUw.

Thanks,
Tim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

I am a super hero, I can control light and freeze time.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Slohand1 Silver Member Charter MemberSun 21-Oct-12 07:53 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Tim:

I think you have answered your own question!

Marty

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 21-Oct-12 10:11 PM
5970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Yes, for some reason CR123's seem to pose a real problem for rechargeable battery manufacturers. Perhaps the volume just isn't there for them to bother.

I've tried a few, and have had decent luck with a set of 4 Tynergy RCR123A rechargeables in my R1C1 kit. I would not rank them as good as an Eneloop (who doesn't make a CR123) but they seem to hold a charge decently.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 22-Oct-12 02:23 AM
26118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tim,

I have been using the Tenergy RCR123A Li-ion rechargable batteries in my SU-800, SB-R200's, and my Sekonic L-758DR for the last few years and they have worked quite well.
I purchased them at Battery Junction .
The current batteries and charger in the link appear to be slightly different from the ones I purchased a few years ago but it is more than likely just cosmetic.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

fisherd80fun Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2009Mon 22-Oct-12 12:47 PM
470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Essex, US

I have the same batteries. Just be sure not to overcharge them. They "fry" easily. I ruined two of them

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 22-Oct-12 02:25 PM
8148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

All reports here, have indicated that they can be used successfully. I have read where the rechargeables have a higher voltage and can damage some things like Surefire flash lights. I don't know how to determine what can and cannot be damaged. Evidently Sekonic meters and Nikon flashes do OK.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 22-Oct-12 03:16 PM
5970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 5

Tacoma, US

There are some 3.8 volt rechargables out there sold as CR123. I bought 2 by mistake but have not used them in a SU-800 or SB-200. They'd probably be OK in a flashlight.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 22-Oct-12 04:52 PM
8148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 6

Powder Springs, US

Actually, they are not OK in Surefire flashlights. I guess the higher amperage burns the LEDs up.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

spanglerokapi Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2008Tue 23-Oct-12 05:00 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 7

Aylesbury, GB

Whilst I agree that theCR123A cells are a little pricey you do get an awful lot of flashes before they need replacing!

Andrew

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010Tue 23-Oct-12 05:24 PM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Williamstown, US

Tim,

I use RCR123A from Delkin Devices and have had no mishaps. I use them in my (4) SB-R200, SU800, and My Sekonic L-358 light meter. Whichever brand of rechargeable batteries you use, it has to be cheaper over time than the throw aways. As pointed out by Mick, make sure you use the correct voltage battery or you may damage expensive equipment with no recourse for warranty or repair. Thanks Marty for your link to the site that has something that I could not find anywhere else and I had to improvise. That is the little plastic case to store the batteries. Neither Delkin nor other battery sites I perused had these cases. I have been using a hospital glove and placing the batteries in the finger tips of the gloves to keep the ends of the batteries from touching and creating a fire hazard.

Mike

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 23-Oct-12 11:18 PM
#10. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 9

Powder Springs, US

Yes, that appears to be a good source for them. Thomas Distributing has evidently elected not to carry them. I wonder why. They used to.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010Wed 24-Oct-12 03:42 AM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 10

Williamstown, US

Scott'

I ordered the plastic cases and I ordered one of their battery packages because I noticed that their package includes a car recharger unit. Now I have a backup source to keep things running.

Mike

BWPaterson Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009Thu 25-Oct-12 08:02 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Lansdale, US

You may want to stay with a known manufacturer who uses rechargeble batteries. Surefire makes flash lights for law enforcement which in most cases are rechargeable. If they did not work they would not be bought. I have used the CR123A batteries by them without trouble since I keep one of there high intensity lights in my car.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 27-Oct-12 02:53 AM
#13. "RE: CR123A Question"
In response to Reply # 11

Powder Springs, US

Mike,

Let us know how they are working for you!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59583 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.