Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59245
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 30-Aug-12 07:29 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"

Los Angeles, US

A reference book on my D7000 camera suggests that strobe use in these two modes requires camera metering to be set on SPOT.

A book on Speedlights suggest that Matrix is the best choice for camera metering.

Perhaps the writer advising SPOT was speaking of speelights as REMOTES.

What's the right answer?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 10:39 PM
26537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Gary,

When you use Spot metering, the flash mode will change from TTL-BL to TTL.
When the flash will be the primary light source, TTL flash mode will provide the best results. When you are using the flash for fill, TTL-BL mode should be used.

The built in Speedlights and the SB-400 and SB-700 use TTL-BL as the default mode.
The only way to use Standard TTL mode is to use Spot metering.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 30-Aug-12 10:58 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

I should have mentioned that I mainly use an SB800. Sometimes an SB700.

Where does a person learn all this stuff? I've got these books -- Joe Mcnally - Hotshoe Diary, Mike Hagen - CLS and Neil van Niekerk - Off Camera Flash and there are still gaps in my head.

And I continue to ponder EC +/- on the camera vs EC +/- on the strobe.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 01-Sep-12 01:04 AM
6015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Where does a person learn all this stuff? I've got these books
>-- Joe Mcnally - Hotshoe Diary, Mike Hagen - CLS and Neil van
>Niekerk - Off Camera Flash and there are still gaps in my
>head.

Have you checked out my blog on this subject?

I recommend you start with article 1. and read them consecutively.

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 02-Sep-12 07:07 PM
#4. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

It took a little reading to clarify my thoughts.

Spot metering is proper for foreground lighting. Requiring a TTl mode set on the speedlight.

Moreover, the random accumulation of EC +/- factors that have been dogging me point to a guilty suspect --- Matrix Metering. Which again is the partner of the TTl-BL mode. Not only does matrix spin off sorts of exposure corrections, you can never know why or duplicate the particular settings.

Or, so it seems today on Sunday, Sept 2. I will bow to those with greater speedlight knowledge, especially you Russ. I am aware that the University of CLS does not promise a fixed graduation date to students. We may be in school for the rest of our lives.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 02-Sep-12 07:56 PM
6015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 4

>It took a little reading to clarify my thoughts.
>
>Spot metering is proper for foreground lighting. Requiring a
>TTl mode set on the speedlight.

The Nikon system helps you out a little bit here. If you are in TTL-BL mode and you select Spot metering on the camera, it automatically changes the speedlight to regular TTL. That is because in Spot Metering mode, there is no data for TTL-BL to work with. TTL-BL depends on a metering of the frame that includes both the subject and the background. In Spot Metering the only metering information is what is reflected off the subject. Matrix metering usually gives the best results when using TTL-BL fill flash.

Remember that the camera metering data has no direct connection to the flash power. The camera metering only measures the amount of ambient light there is. Ambient, of course, adds to the Regular TTL flash. This is why when using regular TTL, you have to be careful to underexpose the ambient by a couple of stops and let the flash provide the primary exposure. If you use regular TTL and you don't underexpose the subject, you will get overexposed subjects. This is why most people always use camera Manual mode when using regular TTL and just set to underexpose by 2 or 3 stops. It's not critical. Then the flash handles essentially the entire exposure.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 02-Sep-12 08:34 PM
#6. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 5

Los Angeles, US

Great summation.

What had me running in circles was looking at the EXIF data in Playback and seeing random EC +/- factors. Some with a lightning bolt, other without. And none of them entered by me. Ok, perhaps the flash EC factors.

The camera in Matrix Metering reads all sorts of subtle illumination quantities, such as contrast, and then mixes that into the exposure setting.

It begins to feel like two conductors leading one orchestra. Crazy.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 02-Sep-12 08:56 PM
#7. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 6

>The camera in Matrix Metering reads all sorts of subtle
>illumination quantities, such as contrast, and then mixes that
>into the exposure setting.

Not sure what you are referring to here.

Since you are using Matrix metering, that means you must be shooting fill flash outdoors in bright light. Correct?

If you are indoors in indoor lighting, you should be using regular TTL and camera Manual mode set to underexpose by 2 or 3 stops.

Outdoors, in bright ambient light, the flash should be in TTL-BL mode, and the camera should be in either S or P mode (P mode preferred). Then, the camera will expose the ambient normally, and the flash will fire to add fill to make the subject the same brightness as the rest of the frame.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

rigard Registered since 30th Apr 2010Mon 03-Sep-12 03:02 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 7

Oklahoma City, US

But how does one underexpose the ambient? What mode should one use to meter the ambient? Do you press the shutter down halfway off to the side of the subject to meter and then use EC to take the exposure down a stop or two? Example: I always have a problem understanding when someone says 'expose for the sky' then compensate with EC to get a good exposure on the subject. What does 'expose for the sky' mean? and how to do it. Would that be the same as 'meter for the sky'? Sorry for question but I can't seem to wrap my limited brain power around this concept. Thanks....

Rick Gardner OKC
"keep looking up"

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberMon 03-Sep-12 02:24 PM
#9. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 8

>But how does one underexpose the ambient? What mode should
>one use to meter the ambient?

It's easiest to learn to use the light meter in the camera. Then you measure the ambient light with the camera in Manual mode. Basically, you adjust the aperture or shutter to collapse the dots to the center in the meter display to set the camera to a normal ambient exposure. Then, you adjust the aperture or shutter to move the dots in the dark direction for three big tic marks to underexpose by 3 stops. Then you take a test picture WITHOUT THE FLASH to be sure that you have a very dark image just to verify that you indeed have set the camera to underexpose by 3 stops. Then, you turn ON the regular TTL flash and take the picture. The regular TTL flash will handle the entire exposure.

I highly recommend you read my 'Cookbook' blog article on this:

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2009/12/camera-flash-cookbook-for-any-lighting.html

>Do you press the shutter down
>halfway off to the side of the subject to meter and then use
>EC to take the exposure down a stop or two?

You should normally leave camera EC at zero, because it changes both the flash power and the camera. Instead, use the camera in Manual mode and adjust the shutter to set the exposure based on the built-in light meter.

>Example: I always
>have a problem understanding when someone says 'expose for the
>sky' then compensate with EC to get a good exposure on the
>subject. What does 'expose for the sky' mean? and how to do
>it. Would that be the same as 'meter for the sky'?

Yes, 'Expose for the sky' and 'meter for the sky' mean the same thing.

To meter for the sky, you would use camera Manual mode and point the camera at the sky (usually in Spot metering mode), and adjust the aperture and shutter to zero the built-in light meter display. You can also use P, S, or A modes, and point the camera at the sky and half-press the shutter and read the f/ stop and shutter speed that the camera chooses. Then, switch to Camera Manual mode and set these settings into the camera. Then, recompose and take the picture. This is how I shoot sunsets with a subject in the foreground. I set the camera to expose for the sky, and then I use the regular TTL flash (with the camera still in Manual mode) to expose the subject.

But leave camera EC at zero. You rarely need to adjust EC.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

rigard Registered since 30th Apr 2010Tue 04-Sep-12 06:47 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Correct Metering Mode for TTl/TTl-bl?"
In response to Reply # 9

Oklahoma City, US

Thanks much Russ, that helps...

rigard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59245 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.