Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #806
View in threaded mode

Subject: "ttl vs bounce w/sb28 & f100" Previous topic | Next topic
l2photo Basic MemberSun 16-Dec-01 11:06 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ttl vs bounce w/sb28 & f100"

My manual say's that the sb28 in tilt position (head) does not allow ttl. So my question is do I gain ttl and bounce using my sc17 cord and flash off camera and aim the flash up? any pro's or con's for doing my flash this way.

Lowell Litten.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-01 01:40 AM
34617 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ttl vs bounce w/sb28 & f100"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-01 AT 03:44 AM (GMT)

The SB-28 Autofocus Speedlight Manual says on page 26 that "monitor Preflash will not operate if the flash head is tilted up or rotated from the horizontal/front position", meaning then that 3D Multi-sensor Balanced TTL fill flash is not feasible, but you do have Standard TTL flash; same thing as when you set your meter to spot metering. No need to worry. It just means that you will not have "outmost-super-perfect-flash", you will just have "wow-flash".
So what you will gain? Indirect lighting, bounce lighting, more pleasing to the subject and any viewer of the results.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Blackjack Basic MemberSat 05-Jan-02 11:10 PM
96 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ttl vs bounce w/sb28 & f100"
In response to Reply # 1

Can you get matrix balanced fill flash with any other Nikon Speedlites when they are bounced?

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 06-Jan-02 01:01 AM
34617 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ttl vs bounce w/sb28 & f100"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

No but standard TTL flash will do. Just remember that you are looking to soften the light, to diffuse it by bouncing it, but at the expense of more power required than in normal straight flashing (power which may not be enough if the surface{s} from which you bounce are far away); secondly, another possible price is changing the color rendition of the scene with that of the surface; you will seldom find a pure white wall. You can reduce both danger by taking out the bounce card on the flash head while bouncing, or doing it the poor photographer's style, adding a white card attached with a rubber band to the head. That way you will be mixing some direct (pure white) light from the flash with the bounced light.
Here a sample of bounced flash from my own gallery.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #806 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.