Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60668
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Sat 26-Jan-13 07:16 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"

San Diego, US

As I browse through the various Nikonians forums, I start thinking on how I can hopefully improve my photography. I want to set up a Nikon SB-700 Speedlight off-camera, attach it to a light stand, then connect it to a Nikon D7000 using a Nikon SC-29 TTL Coiled Remote Cord.

What is your recommendation regarding a light stand, or a system that can slowly grow with my budget, and can accomodate attachments like an umbrella, softbox, or reflector?

Thanks.

Jhonave

Passion 4 Photography
www.p4ph.com/2010/09/nikon-d7000.html

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 26-Jan-13 12:07 PM
26588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Your D7000 will do wireless remote, so I'd save both money and a lot of aggravation by skipping the SC-29. Just put the SB-700 in remote mode, pop up the built-in and use the built-in as a commander. No wires to trip over, nothing to forget and leave at home, and another thing removed from your camera bag, so it weighs less. (And that SC-29, one of which I own, by the way, is not so light.) And then of course you can put the remote anywhere within IR range, rather than only within the length of an SC-29.

Light stands: these can be pretty subtle. My first stand was an Impact. It was inexpensive, and rated fairly well at B&H. It works, but for example I found that it doesn't fold up very well. It takes up quite a bit more space. In fact, it's consuming more space in my closet now than FOUR Manfrotto 1052's! More importantly, it also consumes more space in the car if I have to shoot somewhere else. You can buy less expensive stands, but I don't think you'll find less expensive air cushioned ones. These won't slam down on your fingers when they're loosened. The Impact one I have is a perfectly workable air cushioned stand, and it's only $38. They don't come a lot less than that.

The clamps are also kind of subtle too. I have some ProMaster ones that I got locally, and they're meh. They aren't designed too well, so while they are sturdy enough, for example the knob that allows the flash cold shoe to rotate is blocked if you have an umbrella mounted. I have to remove or at least reposition the umbrella to change the position of the flash. Why change the position of the flash? To allow the IR sensor to point generally toward the commander, which is a good idea almost every time you move the umbrella. I also have some Photoflex clamps, and actually they cost me LESS. But (a) they have a big lever instead of a small thumbscrew for adjusting the umbrella or softbox, (b) all of the controls are physically independent, so no fiddling with one to adjust the others, and (c) I have noticed that they accommodate noticeably larger umbrella shafts, too. Not that any of my umbrellas fail to fit on either clamp, but one is clearly more adaptable than the other.

I've been through just enough of this equipment to appreciate the additional value of the Manfrotto stands and Photoflex clamps. In general I've found both of those brands to be good quality stuff and not things that I sooner or later want/need to replace.

BTW, the Manfrotto stands also come with a brass "nut" or adapter that screws onto the top of the stand. It is capable of threading into the bottom of the little plastic stand that comes with Nikon flash units, so in a pinch you can even use just the stand without a clamp, as long as you don't also need to use a light modifier such as a softbox or umbrella.

Finally, I have a couple of Promaster umbrellas, and again, they're OK. But they're a bit delicate (all umbrellas are to some degree but these are more so) - they're about to be replaced with either Westcott or Photoflex umbrellas. I don't particularly regret the Promaster items as I needed them RIGHT THEN (as in I two hours notice) and had no opportunity to get the stuff I'd have preferred, and moreover they did get the job done. But if you can spend a little more, this is an area I think that you'll save in the long run.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 26-Jan-13 12:10 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

In many cases you can use Nikon's CLS (Creative Lighting System) and won't need the SC-29. CLS gives you a lot more freedom about where you place your light stand, however, it does have it's limitations in bright sunlight.

Regarding a stand - rather than talk about brand names I'd say that you want a light stand that is sturdy, has a wide base and the ability to place sandbags for ballast when shooting outdoors. Reflectors, softboxes and umbrellas make excellent kites! I usually buy 13ft stands so they can be used for overhead lighting in addition to regular face-level.

Many stands come with only an attachment post at the top and require a separate light and umbrella shoe mount clamp to hold your umbrella and SB-700. Take a look at B & H, Adorama, Amazon, etc.

Good luck,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Tue 29-Jan-13 12:56 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

San Diego, US

>Your D7000 will do wireless remote, so I'd save both money
>and a lot of aggravation by skipping the SC-29. Just put the
>SB-700 in remote mode, pop up the built-in and use the
>built-in as a commander. No wires to trip over, nothing to
>forget and leave at home, and another thing removed from your
>camera bag, so it weighs less. (And that SC-29, one of which
>I own, by the way, is not so light.) And then of course you
>can put the remote anywhere within IR range, rather than only
>within the length of an SC-29.

I have been reading about the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS) and how it works with Nikon Speedlights. I still would like to try the Nikon SC-29 as an option for off-camera lighting, either handheld or on a light stand, but I will keep your advice in mind. I am also considering PocketWizard and RadioPopper triggers, preferably the latter, at least for now, since the RadioPopper system extends the capabilities of the CLS.

>Light stands: these can be pretty subtle. My first stand was
>an Impact. It was inexpensive, and rated fairly well at
>B&H. It works, but for example I found that it doesn't
>fold up very well. It takes up quite a bit more space. In
>fact, it's consuming more space in my closet now than FOUR
>Manfrotto 1052's! More importantly, it also consumes more
>space in the car if I have to shoot somewhere else. You can
>buy less expensive stands, but I don't think you'll find less
>expensive air cushioned ones. These won't slam down on
>your fingers when they're loosened. The Impact one I have is
>a perfectly workable air cushioned stand, and it's only $38.
>They don't come a lot less than that.

I also have been hearing about air-cushioned stands, so I will be checking B&H about the Manfrotto stands you mentioned. I like the portability you described since I do not have an assistant just yet. Although I volunteer my wife sometimes when I am in a pinch, hehe.

>The clamps are also kind of subtle too. I have some ProMaster
>ones that I got locally, and they're meh. They aren't
>designed too well, so while they are sturdy enough, for
>example the knob that allows the flash cold shoe to rotate is
>blocked if you have an umbrella mounted. I have to remove or
>at least reposition the umbrella to change the position of the
>flash. Why change the position of the flash? To allow the IR
>sensor to point generally toward the commander, which is a
>good idea almost every time you move the umbrella. I also
>have some Photoflex clamps, and actually they cost me LESS.
>But (a) they have a big lever instead of a small thumbscrew
>for adjusting the umbrella or softbox, (b) all of the controls
>are physically independent, so no fiddling with one to adjust
>the others, and (c) I have noticed that they accommodate
>noticeably larger umbrella shafts, too. Not that any of my
>umbrellas fail to fit on either clamp, but one is clearly more
>adaptable than the other.
>
>I've been through just enough of this equipment to appreciate
>the additional value of the Manfrotto stands and Photoflex
>clamps. In general I've found both of those brands to be good
>quality stuff and not things that I sooner or later want/need
>to replace.
>
>BTW, the Manfrotto stands also come with a brass
>"nut" or adapter that screws onto the top of the
>stand. It is capable of threading into the bottom of the
>little plastic stand that comes with Nikon flash units, so in
>a pinch you can even use just the stand without a clamp, as
>long as you don't also need to use a light modifier such as a
>softbox or umbrella.

Stephanie Zettl, author of the book "Nikon Speedlight Handbook," recommended the Frio as a better alternative to cold-shoe mounts. Has anyone here used the Frio?

>Finally, I have a couple of Promaster umbrellas, and again,
>they're OK. But they're a bit delicate (all umbrellas are to
>some degree but these are more so) - they're about to be
>replaced with either Westcott or Photoflex umbrellas. I don't
>particularly regret the Promaster items as I needed them RIGHT
>THEN (as in I two hours notice) and had no opportunity to get
>the stuff I'd have preferred, and moreover they did get the
>job done. But if you can spend a little more, this is an area
>I think that you'll save in the long run.

How do Westcott and Photoflex light modifiers stack up against Lastolite or Interfit, in a general sense? Any quality issues in particular?

Thanks, BLW, for the insight. It surely helps!

Passion 4 Photography
Nikon D7000

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Tue 29-Jan-13 01:11 AM
#4. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

San Diego, US

>In many cases you can use Nikon's CLS (Creative Lighting
>System) and won't need the SC-29. CLS gives you a lot more
>freedom about where you place your light stand, however, it
>does have it's limitations in bright sunlight.

Yes, I have heard some of the limitations of CLS, e.g. infrared line-of-sight, and the one you stated. So I probaly still would like to keep an SC-29, an an eventual backup, since I just recently became aware of my lighting needs, and I definitely am excited about trying CLS.

>Regarding a stand - rather than talk about brand names I'd say
>that you want a light stand that is sturdy, has a wide base
>and the ability to place sandbags for ballast when shooting
>outdoors. Reflectors, softboxes and umbrellas make excellent
>kites! I usually buy 13ft stands so they can be used for
>overhead lighting in addition to regular face-level.

On B&H online, I recently came across light stands at 9 feet. I once almost knocked down a light stand, by accident, that was about 13 feet. With a light stand this high, it may need a neon sign to ward off people like me, hehe. I can still see the nervous glare I got from that photographer!

>Many stands come with only an attachment post at the top and
>require a separate light and umbrella shoe mount clamp to hold
>your umbrella and SB-700. Take a look at B & H, Adorama,
>Amazon, etc.
>
>Good luck,

Thanks, LuckyPhoto, for your comments.

Jhonave @ Passion 4 Photography
Nikon D7000

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Wed 30-Jan-13 09:25 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

jhonave, I for one, agree with using the SC cord to start.

I use the SC-17 cord, available cheap from KEH. I noticed the SC-17 and SC-29 function identically on a D7000. The SC-17 is 1/3 or less cost from KEH.

The reason I recommend the SC cord is simple. There are many facets to learning off camera flash. Getting some shutter time with fewer variables makes the time to the first great pic much shorter.

I learned OCF with a D7000, SC-17 and a SB-600. If I had gone straight to CLS with that SB-600, I would have eliminated OCF as an interest, fast!! There is no intuitive way to learn CLS with the SB-600.

Now, I do use CLS, but, the SC-17 is always within reach. Many times the CLS system will not be right (close-up, weird angles of flash positioning, outdoors - bright sunlight, other reasons)

I now also have the SB-700, and hands that fit size 3X gloves.

Oh, yea, it is easier to put on the SC-17 cord with gloves than try to get a SB-700 into "Remote" mode! LOL

Since I have had the SC-17, I have never taken a pic with a flash unit mounted directly to the D7000, even bounce. It is easier to aim the entire flash than twiddle around rotating/angling the flash head.

Did I mention the elimination of annoying pre-flashes?

JMHO

John

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 30-Jan-13 11:36 AM
26588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

Westcott, Photoflex and Lastolite are all known producers of quality stuff. I personally know nothing about Interfit, which you should take in no sense other than that I don't know anything about them.

I have bought quite a few Photoflex items over the years and they're all what I've expected, and if I'm not mistaken all of it is still with me. I don't have personal experience with Westcott, but a couple of my friends use their stuff.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 31-Jan-13 02:53 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>jhonave, I for one, agree with using the SC cord to start.
>
>I use the SC-17 cord, available cheap from KEH. I noticed the
>SC-17 and SC-29 function identically on a D7000. The SC-17 is
>1/3 or less cost from KEH.
>
>The reason I recommend the SC cord is simple. There are many
>facets to learning off camera flash. Getting some shutter time
>with fewer variables makes the time to the first great pic
>much shorter.

The SC cord is intended to be used with a bracket. It was never intended for taking the flash off-camera on say a light stand without precautions.

I recommend NOT using TTL-BL mode with an SC cord. TTL-BL mode adds fill to a properly exposed ambient image, and it depends on many things to function properly. One is that it uses the distance as reported by the lens to set the power. This means that the flash must always be positioned so that it is the same distance to the subject as the camera.

Of course, TTL-BL should only be used when in bright ambient light, and with the camera meter zeroed, but that is true whether in the hot shoe or on an SC cord.

Regular TTL mode works exactly like when the flash is mounted in the hot shoe, and that is the mode I recommend when using an SC cord.

>I learned OCF with a D7000, SC-17 and a SB-600. If I had gone
>straight to CLS with that SB-600, I would have eliminated OCF
>as an interest, fast!! There is no intuitive way to learn CLS
>with the SB-600.

Be careful with the term 'CLS'. CLS does NOT mean wireless. Nikon Wireless is AWL (Advanced Wireless Lighting), and it is a subset of CLS. In fact, some CLS flashes, like the SB-400, do not work wirelessly.

>Did I mention the elimination of annoying pre-flashes?

There is still a preflash with an SC cord. It is called the Monitor Preflash, and that is used to set its power. In fact, this monitor preflash is the hallmark functioning of CLS.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 31-Jan-13 04:22 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Arkayem, you make good points, all specifically correct.

Generally my points were stated to encourage the OP to get the flash off the camera as easily as possible and start enjoying the world of OCF.

Whether TTL or TTL-BL, either will give better results than on camera flash, when used off camera. Lets encourage starting!

CLS is discussed everywhere, I believe your reference to AWL is the first I have read in a forum, I am sure it is somewhere, just not frequently mentioned.
I have the NikonianPress book on the Creative Light System. CLS is in the index, AWL is not.
Again, I was just hoping to direct an on-camera flash user to try off camera flash.

And so on.............

In conclusion to the OP, try getting the flash off the camera, no matter which method you use, and watch the approval increase when people look at the results of your new technique!

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Fri 01-Feb-13 06:34 AM
170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Oakland, US

Jhonave,

I purchased a pair of Westcott 43" Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit #2332 with 8' Light Stand from Adorama for $69.90 each, USD, and they work quite well.

I use a pair of them with two SB900 as either reflecting or shoot through. The black backing comes off quite easily for shoot through purposes.

Have not had any disasters with them yet.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, just let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 01-Feb-13 01:28 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 01-Feb-13 01:32 PM by Arkayem

>CLS is discussed everywhere, I believe your reference to AWL
>is the first I have read in a forum, I am sure it is
>somewhere, just not frequently mentioned.
>I have the NikonianPress book on the Creative Light System.
>CLS is in the index, AWL is not.

I am just trying to promote terminology that is consistant with Nikon to avoid confusion.

The mistake of using the term 'CLS' instead of 'Advanced Wireless Lighting' is very common and is found in some literature.

Nikon describes CLS and Advanced Wireless Lighting consistantly in their publications, but it is not often abbreviated to 'AWL'. Here's a link to one on the Nikon USA website (if the link doesn't work, just type Advanced Wireless Lighting into the search box on the NikonUSA website):

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9520/~/nikon-creative-lighting-system-(cls)#Anchor-Advanced-23240

Also, your SB700 Manual uses the terms CLS and Advanced Wireless Lighting in many places.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 02-Feb-13 10:11 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Los Angeles, US

If you feel you need an SC cord, save your money and buy a Velo cord, sold by BH photo of New York. 25% the cost of a genuine Nikon.

My need is only for use with a Paparazzi type bracket, so I bought one with a cord less than 10" long. You have your choice of length with Velo SC-type TTl cords.

When shooting product shots, I have a few SB strobes on lightstands, and forego the use of cords. To avoid tripping and knocking things over. The IR signals from the pop-up (set to Commander) works flawlessly with 2 or 3 off-camera Nikon speedlights.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 03-Feb-13 12:46 AM
#12. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

>If you feel you need an SC cord, save your money and buy a
>Velo cord, sold by BH photo of New York. 25% the cost of a
>genuine Nikon.
>
>My need is only for use with a Paparazzi type bracket, so I
>bought one with a cord less than 10" long. You have your
>choice of length with Velo SC-type TTl cords.

And that's precisely what the flash cord was designed for. When the flash is on a bracket, it always stays the same distance from the subject as the camera. That makes the distance reported by the lens correct, so the TTL-BL algorythms work properly, and you get correct fill flash. (assuming the light meter in the camera is zeroed)

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Sun 10-Feb-13 12:15 AM
#13. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

San Diego, US

John, thanks for the response. Yes, I wanted to learn and experience off-camera flash starting off with the basics and moving on to more advanced techniques.

Passion 4 Photography
Nikon D7000

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Sun 10-Feb-13 12:20 AM
#14. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

San Diego, US

Thanks, Brian. I will browse B&H to explore those brands.

Passion 4 Photography
Nikon D7000

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Sun 10-Feb-13 12:22 AM
#15. "RE: Nikon SB-700 + Nikon SC-29 + Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

San Diego, US

Thanks, Bob, for the suggestion. I will check them out on B&H.

Passion 4 Photography
Nikon D7000

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60668 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.