Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60617
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Light Modifiers for SB800" Previous topic | Next topic
Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 23-Jan-13 04:14 AM
2066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Light Modifiers for SB800"

Norcross, US

I'm shooting basketball using two off-camera SB800s with FlexTT5s to control them. So far I have been been bouncing the flash units off a low ceiling behind the backboard which is the walkway for the second floor. I have been geeting pretty good results but am thinking that I would have more control over the direction and quality of the lights using some form of light modifier.

What do you think? Anything that I would use would have to be fairly small and attach to either the flash or a lightweight flash stand. I don't want to become much more noticeable than I already am.

Bob

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com
NorcrossPics on Instagram

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006Wed 23-Jan-13 04:46 AM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Light Modifiers for SB800"
In response to Reply # 0

LA (Lower Arkansas), US

The problem will be (at least as I have found) that most modifiers will cut the effective flash distance quite a bit. You might look into building a custom reflector unit, but most modifiers will be either too big or too light-sapping.

Maybe I'm wrong on this. Won't be the first time.

Mark
www.markpricephotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SweetMK Registered since 23rd Jan 2013Wed 23-Jan-13 04:50 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Light Modifiers for SB800"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 23-Jan-13 05:22 AM by SweetMK

US

From my understanding of speedlights (any of them), they all have limited range.
With a decent depth of field, you may be limited to 15-30 feet. I think bounce in any gym is just adding fill at best.

Modifiers are just going to spread the light even more, offering shorter range.

If you are getting good pics with bounce, I think you have the best answer!
Bounce is a great modifier.
JMHO

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 23-Jan-13 02:57 PM
2066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Light Modifiers for SB800"
In response to Reply # 2

Norcross, US

Thanks for the info.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com
NorcrossPics on Instagram

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Wed 23-Jan-13 09:34 PM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Light Modifiers for SB800"
In response to Reply # 0

Maple Ridge, CA

How far is it from the flash to the ceiling and ceiling to the subject? If the distance will be close to halved by turning the flash around and adding softbox then you will probably come out with about the same or more light, but have much more control over the angle of the light. The down side is the softbox is going to be very conspicuous and may prove to distracting to the players.

Happy shooting,

Howard

Will shoot for fame...fun...food... a heck I'll shoot anytime anywhere.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60617 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.