nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB 26 speedlight compatibility

ammonite

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ammonite Registered since 23rd Oct 2012
Tue 08-Jan-13 07:13 PM

Good Day Everyone. I would like to know if the SB 26 strobe is compatible with the D800, D700 and D300 camera bodies.Thanks...Bob

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18632 posts

#1. "RE: SB 26 speedlight compatibility" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Tue 08-Jan-13 08:11 PM

Welcome to Nikonians!

Short answer: Not really.

Long answer: You can use the SB26 in Manual Flash or Auto Flash modes only; no TTL. The film TTL system that the SB26 has is not compatible with the I-TTL system of the D300, D700 or D800 you mention in your post.

So you can mount it, you can use it, you can some pretty good results with it in Auto Flash or Manual, but unlike the SB700, SB800, SB900 and SB910, your not going to get easy balanced fill shots.

When I used my SB28 on my D700 in fill flash mode, I set the Manual Flash with -1.7EV as a starting point and it was usually pretty good.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

ammonite

US
2 posts

#2. "RE: SB 26 speedlight compatibility" | In response to Reply # 1

ammonite Registered since 23rd Oct 2012
Tue 08-Jan-13 08:23 PM

Thanks Anthony...Bob

Dallaspilot

Plano, US
277 posts

#3. "RE: SB 26 speedlight compatibility" | In response to Reply # 0

Dallaspilot Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010
Wed 09-Jan-13 12:23 PM

After I bought a D700, I found my SB-26s to be lacking, so I got a single SB-910 and have used the SB-26s for secondary and background lighting in slave mode. They are still useful in this role and are worth more to me for occasional use than whatever I would get on ebay.
It would be better, though, to have all speedlights wirelessly controllable by the the D700 in command mode.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18632 posts

#4. "RE: SB 26 speedlight compatibility" | In response to Reply # 3

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Wed 09-Jan-13 08:51 PM

I got a single SB-910 and have used the SB-26s for secondary and background lighting in slave mode. They are still useful in this role and are worth more to me for occasional use than whatever I would get on ebay.
It would be better, though, to have all speedlights wirelessly controllable by the the D700 in command mode.

Agreed. And I plan on using my SB28 and SU-4 module in this capacity at some point. I also have the SC19 so I can connect my two SB28 speedlights together and have them work together...at least as far as the cord will reach. Not ideal but I think it can work.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

G