Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60421
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Pocket Wizard update for D600.." Previous topic | Next topic
jesse101 Registered since 28th Dec 2011Mon 31-Dec-12 04:45 PM
562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pocket Wizard update for D600.."

Great Falls, US

Well as the title states, last I heard (19 Dec 2012) they are working on a firmware update to add the D600 and D3200..I'm wondering has anybody read or heard of a ETA? Got a shoot around 18 Jan and wondering how long it usually takes these guys to add new gear?

I might have to breaks out my CLS memory bank if this doesn't fall through in time lol

My Gallery:

http://jessemartinez.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Dec-12 05:14 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pocket Wizard update for D600.."
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I do not see any on the PW site, but PW says check FaceBook and Twitter for the release notices.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

jesse101 Registered since 28th Dec 2011Mon 31-Dec-12 05:52 PM
562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pocket Wizard update for D600.."
In response to Reply # 1

Great Falls, US

I will join their Facebook page and see. This is what I was referring to about news update:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/news_events/news/firmware_release_plan/

My Gallery:

BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Thu 03-Jan-13 01:40 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pocket Wizard update for D600.."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Anxiously waiting as well ...

That is the major disadvantage of the PW system vs Radiopopper. Having to reverse engineer the flash signals for each new camera. That is nuts.

Bo.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 03-Jan-13 02:23 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Pocket Wizard update for D600.."
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

That gives the priority for development but not the release dates.

PW is producing a professional tool the integrates both Nikon Speedlights and Canon Speedlites so the system is far more complex then Radio Poppers that just relays the control signals to a specific brand of flashes.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

jesse101 Registered since 28th Dec 2011Wed 09-Jan-13 12:25 AM
#5. "RE: Pocket Wizard update for D600.."
In response to Reply # 4

Great Falls, US

I agree..reverse engineering just sounds like it will take forever lol here is what I got back from the PW staff..needless to say it sounds like we will be waiting for a while as they don't even have an ETA...Needless to say, Nikon CLS it is! It never gave me issues, but would be nice if I could use my PW outdoors. But here is the email:

Hi Jesse,

When dealing with beta firmware, there is no such thing as a fixed schedule. We are trying to include the D600 compatibility in a future firmware - one that will be available to the public first in the future as a beta, but it requires reverse engineering the signals coming up through the hot shoe of the radio. That's just how firmware "dates" work in any software industry.

I can't give you any other date than "as soon as possible." This is the same date our firmware manager gave my boss and everyone involved throughout from CEO on down. It is simply the nature of firmware.

We will be announcing on our Facebook page when we have a beta firmware and added support for any new cameras. I would recommend keeping an eye on the page directly: http://www.facebook.com/pocketwizards

I wish I could give you a more direct answer, and wish even more that the cameras were already compatible. Like you, we had to wait patiently for them to show up (yes, we had to wait for them just like everyone else). Once they arrived, we started the engineering process to make our system compatible with the new gear. This is a complex process that can take a fair amount of time and testing, depending on how different the new cameras operate compared to earlier equipment.

When replying to this email, please keep the case number in the subject line.

Best regards,
Chris Valites

My Gallery:

BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Wed 09-Jan-13 01:35 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Pocket Wizard update for D600.."
In response to Reply # 5

US

Yes, I got the exact same answer about a month ago. I think they are sending the same one to everyone. Which makes sense if people are asking the same question of course....

Bo

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60421 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.