Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60128
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger" Previous topic | Next topic
sunilchand Registered since 05th Dec 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 04:31 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"

US

Hi folks,
I currently use the pop up flash on my D7K to trigger my 2 flashes (sb-700 and ynu-560). I am facing problems while syncing the 2 flashes in rear curtain sync mode as the YNU flash triggers always triggers at first curtain and not second. This becomes a problem especially with longer exposures over 1 second.
In order to overcome this I am considering the NPT-04 wireless trigger system from Cowboy studios. However, i would like to know if that supports rear curtain sync - if it does not, I would not be providing me any specific value... I would appreciate any comments you folks may have..
Cheers,
S

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 02:11 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

I believe those flash triggers will force you into full manual mode since they don't support TTL. I don't think that's where you want to go.

Your YN 560 should be capable of rear curtain sync. What mode do you have it in? Have you tried S2?

Visit my gallery.

sunilchand Registered since 05th Dec 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 03:19 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for your response Chris. I understand that with the trigger you need to have both flashes in manual, with no TTL support. However, I was still hoping if it would be able to trigger it on rear curtain as opposed to the first.
As for the rear curtain sync on YNU, you are right - it does support in the S2 mode. However, I could not get it to synch when the speeds were any lower than 1/10th of a second. I have a need to sync with exposures of more than 2 seconds.
Thx,
S

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 04:39 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 2

Newburg, US

Ok, since you're willing to go manual, I expect you have you tried setting your commander mode to manual and the remotes in manual, while setting your 560 to S1 mode? I'm assuming that puts the 560 in dumb optical slave mode and there isn't much for the flash to think about in that scenario. So if you have rear sync set on the camera, there will be no signaling flash until it is time for everybody to fire.

If the 560 doesn't behave in that scenario, then yes, the inexpensive radio triggers should work for rear sync if everything is manual.

Visit my gallery.

sunilchand Registered since 05th Dec 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 04:53 PM
#4. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Yes, that's exactly what i did. tried the ynu in s1, but the pop up seems to fire off at first curtain as well, thereby triggering the ynu immediately. the sb700 on the other hand, does an initial prefire first but rightly fires off later on second curtain..
i wonder if there's a way to turn off the pop up flash from firing that initial preflash - this seems to be triggering the ynu incorrectly on first curtain...

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 05:14 PM
#5. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 09-Dec-12 05:14 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

Yes, take your onboard flash out of commander mode and put it in manual. Set your SB 700 to SU 4 mode, and the 560 in S1. See what happens.

Visit my gallery.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberMon 10-Dec-12 01:09 AM
5996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Yes, that's exactly what i did. tried the ynu in s1, but the
>pop up seems to fire off at first curtain as well, thereby
>triggering the ynu immediately. the sb700 on the other hand,
>does an initial prefire first but rightly fires off later on
>second curtain..
>i wonder if there's a way to turn off the pop up flash from
>firing that initial preflash - this seems to be triggering the
>ynu incorrectly on first curtain...

Commander Manual mode still fires a preflash to control the remote flashes. This preflash will fire your optical slaves before the shutter even opens.

You have to put your on-camera flash into Manual mode to eliminate the preflash.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

sunilchand Registered since 05th Dec 2012Mon 10-Dec-12 03:40 AM
#7. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Chris/Russ,
Thanks a lot for your valuable advice and suggestions. I followed them and realized that this was my mistake. I had the pop-up flash of the D7K in CMD mode but in TTL setting. Once I changed it to "--", the preflash did not happen from the camera and everything worked. So final settings...

Camera pop-up flash: CMD with "--"
SB-700: Group A, TTL
YNU-560: Manual, S1 mode

I guess I don't have to buy the wireless triggers after all... at least not for this particular problem. Maybe, I may have a real need to fire flashes that are out of the line of sight and will consider...
Thanks again for helping me close this out...
Cheers,
S

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberMon 10-Dec-12 03:03 PM
5996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 10-Dec-12 03:06 PM by Arkayem

>Chris/Russ,
> Thanks a lot for your valuable advice and suggestions. I
>followed them and realized that this was my mistake. I had the
>pop-up flash of the D7K in CMD mode but in TTL setting. Once I
>changed it to "--", the preflash did not happen from
>the camera and everything worked. So final settings...
>
>Camera pop-up flash: CMD with "--"
>SB-700: Group A, TTL
>YNU-560: Manual, S1 mode

Unfortunately, I think your YNU may still be firing early, before the shutter opens. You just haven't realized it yet.

When using the --- mode on the Commander, it cancels the Main flash, but it still fires the preflash. The Commander always fires a preflash in all modes.

You have to set the pop-up flash on Manual to eliminate the preflash. But then, you have to put your SB700 in SU-4 mode so it will fire as an optical slave just like your YNU.

To test your setup: Set your camera on rear sync, and then use long shutter speed like one second, you will see the preflash one second before the main flash, because it always fires before the shutter opens. Then you can tell whether or not your setup is working like you think it is.

I thought of one more possibility to explain what you are seeing. The preflash may be too weak to fire your YNU, so, then it would fire only on the main flash. If this is the case, you can't rely on it. In a different placement, the YNU will probably fire on the preflash.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

sunilchand Registered since 05th Dec 2012Tue 11-Dec-12 03:55 AM
#9. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thanks for the follow up Russ. So, I tried my tests again and did indeed confirm that the YNU was firing correctly. Here's what I actually see as the sequence..

i. Pre-flash fires from camera, pop up flash
ii. YNU flash fires during pre-flash
iii. Wait for 2 seconds
iv. YNU flash fires again at the end of the rear curtain.
i'm using the YNU-560 flash, if it makes any difference.

Also, if I change the pop up flash from "--" to "M", the same behavior occurs.
Thx,
S

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 11-Dec-12 12:57 PM
#10. "RE: Rear curtain sync with cowboy NPT-04 wireless trigger"
In response to Reply # 9

>Thanks for the follow up Russ. So, I tried my tests again
>and did indeed confirm that the YNU was firing correctly.
>Here's what I actually see as the sequence..
>
>i. Pre-flash fires from camera, pop up flash
>ii. YNU flash fires during pre-flash
>iii. Wait for 2 seconds
>iv. YNU flash fires again at the end of the rear curtain.
>i'm using the YNU-560 flash, if it makes any difference.
>
>Also, if I change the pop up flash from "--" to
>"M", the same behavior occurs.

Now I think I understand what is happening.

You must have the YNU set to a fairly low power, so that it fires on the preflash, and it is recycling just enough to fire again on the main flash. I think you will find that if you shorten the shutter, and/or increase the power of the YNU, it will fire on the preflash, but will not have time to recycle, so it will not flash again on the main flash.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60128 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.