Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59874
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Red Cast in Wedding Photographs" Previous topic | Next topic
joburger Registered since 06th Nov 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 04:56 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"

AU

Hi Guys, I photographed a friend's wedding on the weekend and the reception was held in a very dark venue which had red walls and roof with the off sky light providing minimal natural light.
I was using my SB800 speedlight and when pointing it directly at the subject I was getting a hot dot on the person's forehead. I turned the flash output down as far as I was able to eventually opted for bouncing the flash off the walls and roof which has of course produced a slightly reddish cast, particularly to skin tone.
Is there any way around this? A gel perhaps? I tried correcting the colour in PS but haven't been happy with the results so far.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 21-Nov-12 11:12 AM
5818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

What software are you using to process your shots? Did you shoot raw or jpg?

You might try setting the white balance to a gray point.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 21-Nov-12 01:15 PM
5985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hi Guys, I photographed a friend's wedding on the weekend and
>the reception was held in a very dark venue which had red
>walls and roof with the off sky light providing minimal
>natural light.
>I was using my SB800 speedlight and when pointing it directly
>at the subject I was getting a hot dot on the person's
>forehead. I turned the flash output down as far as I was able
>to eventually opted for bouncing the flash off the walls and
>roof which has of course produced a slightly reddish cast,
>particularly to skin tone.
>Is there any way around this? A gel perhaps? I tried
>correcting the colour in PS but haven't been happy with the
>results so far.

That is just about the worst case scenario!

Hopefully you were shooting in raw? If so, you might be able to adjust the white balance to make the skin tones right on the closest subjects. Have you tried that?

If you find yourself in the same position again, try a Gary Fong Light Sphere. That will soften the light a little, which should help reduce skin shine, and try it pointed up as well as directly at the subject. Use a high shutter speed (160th or higher) to completely eliminate any ambient. Set the WB at flash. At least that will get the skin color right. It won't be perfect, but it should be useable.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

joburger Registered since 06th Nov 2012Sat 24-Nov-12 08:07 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

Thank you for the suggestions. I did shoot everything in raw but I have never tried to do a custom white balance. I'm going to take a look at it now. I assume this is done in camera raw. Thanks again.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 24-Nov-12 01:42 PM
5985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"
In response to Reply # 3

>Thank you for the suggestions. I did shoot everything in raw
>but I have never tried to do a custom white balance. I'm going
>to take a look at it now. I assume this is done in camera raw.
>Thanks again.

You can always do a custom white balance in the camera, but you don't have to if you shoot raw. You can adjust the white balance in post processing for raw images and get exactly the same thing.

I always shot in raw with the white balance on Auto, and adjusted it later if needed.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 24-Nov-12 03:01 PM
5818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"
In response to Reply # 3

Tacoma, US

Russ is right, you don't need to do it in camera, you can do it in post. Sometimes that can get a little tricky, it can take a fair amount of tweaking and relies on your memory.

There are several ways to do it in camera to eliminate the guesswork: shoot a custom white balance, use an Expodisk, get a color meter. All of those require extra preparation time, and cost money (color meters are in the $1,000 range).

One approach that I have found to be effective and low cost is a WhiBal card (http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html). You still do the adjustment in post, but the target gives you an accurate reference point, it doesn't require an extra shot and cost is low.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

joburger Registered since 06th Nov 2012Sun 25-Nov-12 01:15 AM
#6. "RE: Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

Thanks so much. I can see the option in the drop down menu for a custom white balance. I assume you select this option and them move the colour temp sliders immediately underneath to effect a custom white balance?
The card sounds like a plan Russ especially when you consider the shooting space was confined. I could have taken a single shot to begin with and used the card as a reference point for the remainder of the reception shoot. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 25-Nov-12 01:31 AM
#7. "RE: Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 25-Nov-12 01:32 AM by Arkayem

>Thanks so much. I can see the option in the drop down menu
>for a custom white balance. I assume you select this option
>and them move the colour temp sliders immediately underneath
>to effect a custom white balance?
>The card sounds like a plan Russ especially when you consider
>the shooting space was confined. I could have taken a single
>shot to begin with and used the card as a reference point for
>the remainder of the reception shoot. Thanks again everyone, I
>appreciate it.

Even if you don't use a gray card, you can almost always find something in the images that is a close enough proxy to a gray card that it will work just fine if you use the wb eye-droper on it. In fact, this technique will even work to some extent on images shot as jpegs, but not nearly as well as when you shoot raw.

If you would post one of your images, I would see if I could correct it.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sun 25-Nov-12 12:10 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"
In response to Reply # 7

Kleinburg, CA

>
>Even if you don't use a gray card, you can almost always find
>something in the images that is a close enough proxy to a gray
>card that it will work just fine if you use the wb eye-droper
>on it.

A gray card is necessary for setting exposure and white balance simultaneously. If you are adjusting white balance only, white will work just as well and will be easier to find in an image. (White is not always pure white -- table clothes, paper, etc but it’s usually close enough for finding a good white balance which can always be tweaked a bit.)

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sun 25-Nov-12 12:19 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Red Cast in Wedding Photographs"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 25-Nov-12 03:04 PM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

>
>Is there any way around this? A gel perhaps? I tried
>correcting the colour in PS but haven't been happy with the
>results so far.
>
It is not practical to gel for wall color but it is important to use your tungsten gel for rooms with incandescent lighting which are very common because they work with dimmers. Without the gel all of your backgrounds will have a yellow tint when the subjects are correctly white balanced.

To eliminate the red tint you might try working with the red slider in your processing – moving it toward cyan. To get the basic white balance try the white balance dropper on a white shirt, table cloth or piece of paper.

There is an excellent reference for skin tones here: http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/wallpaper/skin-colors.html

Save the larger image in a convenient location for reference in color balance issues. Personally, I don’t use a color picker on the reference image or any other tech tools – I simply view it periodically while editing as a reminder for the correct appearance of skin tone.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59874 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.