nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20

gddenes

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gddenes Registered since 26th Oct 2012
Mon 19-Nov-12 06:15 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how to achieve subtle fill flash with this combination outdoors. What would be the best procedure to get a specific flash compensation (-1.7 or whatever)? Can I do this using TTL flash?

Thanks!
gddenes

Drbee

US
5874 posts

#1. "RE: Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20" | In response to Reply # 0

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Mon 19-Nov-12 07:49 PM

It's been a while for me, but IIRC it's pretty effortless. The FE2 is capable of TTL, one of the reasons it was the last film camera to leave my kit. I did check the SB-20 features and it is a TTL strobe so I think you can just put the SB-20 on the hot shoe, set to TTL.

For short distances, I typically set my TTL daylight fill to -1.5EV. However, for the SB-20, the low-res photos I found were not sufficient for me to locate a exposure compensation setting on the unit itself, so you might have to fool it by setting one EV higher ISO setting on the strobe.

In my film days, I kept a careful log of exposures and tried different settings at the beginning of each roll of film and then evaluated them over time.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

gddenes

US
2 posts

#2. "RE: Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20" | In response to Reply # 1

gddenes Registered since 26th Oct 2012
Mon 19-Nov-12 09:05 PM

My impression is that the ISO index on the flash doesn't change any setting but is there to calculate shooting range. Can I accomplish what you're describing with the ISO index and/or the exposure compensation dial on the camera?

Drbee

US
5874 posts

#3. "RE: Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20" | In response to Reply # 2

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Mon 19-Nov-12 09:36 PM | edited Mon 19-Nov-12 09:36 PM by Drbee

The ISO index on the camera changes the overall exposure including "re-rating" the film. That control alone won't accomplish what you are trying to do which is down rate the strobe for fill.

However, the SB-20 also has a "A" exposure system that meters the flash exposure from the reflected light from the scene (does not use TTL, but a separate sensor in the strobe unit). I don't understand how it could give an accurate exposure if the strobe-unit itself doesn't know about the ISO setting you've chosen for the film (e.g. what you've set on the camera). I believe you have to match the camera setting to the strobe setting using these control to get an accurate exposure.

Anyone else care to shed some light on this?

I actually think you could test this by setting the strobe to "A", choosing different ISO settings on the strobe and then using the open-flash button to trigger the strobe. I think you should be able to see a visible difference in the strobe duration between the minimum and maximum ISO setting.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

G