Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59823
View in threaded mode

Subject: "using sc17 chord" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Thu 15-Nov-12 05:21 PM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"using sc17 chord"

US

Hi guys, I am trying to figure out what I don't have set right. I have the sb700 connected to my camera with a sc17chord, I then have my sb600 set off to the side to use as a remote flash. I am thinking correctly in that I am not using the 700 as a commander because I have it hooked up with the chord but I can't get my 600 to go off. I can't figure it out. I set my 700 in manual and then set my 600 in manual, my 700 will fire via the chord, but it doesn't set off the 600. I know I did this before, but I can't rememeber how..Any help, please.

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 15-Nov-12 06:55 PM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: using sc17 chord"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

As far as I know, the SC-17 is functionally the equivalent of a very funny-shaped hot shoe. So if the SB-700 is not set in commander mode, it won't be triggering the remote. If it *IS* in commander mode, I would guess that you have not quite gotten the SB-700 seated properly on the SC-17, or perhaps the SC-17 is not perfectly seated on the shoe. (I do not know how many times I've gotten the flashes only mostly seated, but it's not just once or twice... And usually it's good enough to do most things but not something specific...)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 16-Nov-12 07:15 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: using sc17 chord"
In response to Reply # 0

Estoril, PT

Two ways to go about this:

1. Old style - set your SB-600 to SU-4 remote mode, and it will fire whenever it sees the SB-700 going off.

2. AWLS style 1 - set the SB-700 to Commander and the SB-600 to Remote. The corded flash does not really know it it's corded or plugged straight into the camera's hot shoe.

3. AWLS style 2 - if your camera's built-in flash has Commander capabilities, ditch the cord, set it up, and assign SB-700 and SB-600 to remote roles on Group A and B, respectively. If you don't want the built-in to contribute to the exposure, dial it's power to "--", and better yet, get the Nikon IR pannel to cover it.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 16-Nov-12 10:20 AM
4822 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: using sc17 chord"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Surely you have to have the SB700 set to commander mode to set off the SB600. If it is set thus then you can set the SB700 to fire as well as the SB600

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 16-Nov-12 03:22 PM
18518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: using sc17 chord"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Are all the connections tight?
What mode is the camera set to? SB700? SB600?
Can the sensor of the 600 see the 700's preflash?
Do you have fresh batteries?

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 16-Nov-12 06:43 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: using sc17 chord"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

An SC-17 is a rather old cord and it is possible some of the internal wiring could have one or more broken (open) or shorted wires. This can be tested for with an ohm meter. All the wiring is straight through form point to point one to one.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 19-Nov-12 01:12 PM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: using sc17 chord"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Well, here's the thing. I can indeed set the 700 to commander and set off the 600 BUT I need to have the 700 onboard my d90 to do that. And I can also set both of them up in remote mode and fire them using my pop up flash dialed in at -- and choose my settings in the camera with chanel a and b.
But my thing is this, I want both of them off camera, I don't want to use my pop up flash to fire them because as I'm doing my waterdrops, I fire things off quickly, well maybe not quickly, but constantly one after another. Pretty soon, my camera won't work because my pop up flash is getting hot and I have to wait...Well, I don't like waiting so I am trying to get around that. So I want my chord sc 17 to trigger my 700 and that to fire my 600. I'm not figuring out how to accomplish that....

Darlene

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Mon 19-Nov-12 02:22 PM
4822 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: using sc17 chord"
In response to Reply # 6

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Now I don't know what settings you have or the limitations of the SC-17 BUT I will have a go...

Set the SB700 to commander mode and also so it fires (just as you do using the commander mode for the built-in speedlight). Then on the SB700 LCD you should be able to control the SB600 just as you do on the camera body.

Then if the SC-17 is working correctly when you fire the shutter the SB700 should fire and trigger the SB600...

If you have the SB700 set to manual only it will not act as a commander flash. It must be set to commander mode as well.

HTH

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 19-Nov-12 03:24 PM
2045 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: using sc17 chord"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 19-Nov-12 03:27 PM by elec164

US

>. So I want my chord sc 17 to trigger my 700
>and that to fire my 600. I'm not figuring out how to
>accomplish that....

As others stated, the SC-17 is a hot shoe extension cord and the SB-700 should work when attached via the cord as if it were on the camera hot shoe.

I have an SC-29 and two SB-800's and just tried doing what you wanted and it worked (well at least on the second try that is). The reason it took two tries is that I got tripped up in that I set the SB-800 attached to the SC-29 as a master, but overlooked the fact that the SB-800 by default is set to Channel 1 whereas the camera is set at Channel 3 by default I believe. So the remote SB-800 on the first try didn't fire (being that I have them set to work with the camera on Channel 3. Once I changed the remote SB-800 to Channel 1, it worked like a charm!!

So if your cord is not allowing the SB-700 to work as a master, perhaps there is a broken wire as George suggests.

Pete

Pete

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 20-Nov-12 05:25 PM
#9. "RE: using sc17 chord"
In response to Reply # 8

US

GOT IT!!! I didn't have the 700 set to master,,,,duh!!!! Thanks guys in replying so quickly, now back to work.

Darlene

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59823 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.