nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #45929
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Wraparound Snoot" Previous topic | Next topic
William Registered since 05th Aug 2004Mon 21-Dec-09 02:20 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wraparound Snoot"
Mon 21-Dec-09 02:22 AM by William

Norwalk, US

I am wondering if anyone recognized the snoot used in the Nikon DVD "A Hands-on Guide to Creative Lighting"?

I am also wondering why Bob Krist mounted his speedlights off center from the axis of the umbrell?

Thanks,

William

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberMon 21-Dec-09 05:32 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wraparound Snoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I am wondering if anyone recognized the snoot used in the
>Nikon DVD "A Hands-on Guide to Creative Lighting"?

I don't have this DVD, but here is the wrap-around Snoot and Speed Strap I use:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601261-REG/Honl_Photo_HONL_SNOOT5_5_Shorty_Speed_Snoot_Reflector.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

William Registered since 05th Aug 2004Mon 21-Dec-09 09:00 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wraparound Snoot"
In response to Reply # 1

Norwalk, US

Russ -

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the Honl. I believe the Honl's leaves one side completely open.

The one in the video was different. It was a fabric snoot that wrapped completely(360 degrees)around the SB900. It had what apeared to be velcro that attached to itself as it was wrapped around the speed light. It also allowed for the shaping of the actual amount of light passing through the snoot. He used it as a key light.

Thanks,

William

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Mon 21-Dec-09 09:18 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wraparound Snoot"
In response to Reply # 2

St Louis, US

William,
I did not see the video either. But, the Honl product I use is the 8" Speed Snoot/Reflector. It can be used as a reflector like what Russ uses, but this one is 8" and in the snoot mode it can wrap itself completely (360 degrees) around the SB-900. You attach it via a speed strap which is sold separately.

http://www.honlphoto.com/servlet/the-6/strobist-speedlight-strobe-flash/Detail

Cheryl

William Registered since 05th Aug 2004Mon 21-Dec-09 09:54 PM
#4. "RE: Wraparound Snoot"
In response to Reply # 3

Norwalk, US

Cheryl -

That's it. I went to your link. I had previously thought that it did not compeletly wrap. Russ thank you also again. I should have gone to the manufacturers site.

Much appreciated!!

William

nl Basic MemberMon 21-Dec-09 09:57 PM
833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wraparound Snoot"
In response to Reply # 3

West Hartford, US

William:

As noted, the Honl snoots can be used as both a fully wrap-around snoot or, with the flap opened, as a reflector. There is an entire line of products starting with the speed strap (basically a piece of velcro that you wrap around the head of the flash to attach all the other stuff to) and then two lengths of snoots (5 and 8 inch), gobo/reflector cards, grids, and gels.

This link: <http://www.bobkrist.com/blog/bobs-compact-lighting-kit-as-seen-on-nikons-hands-on-cls-video/> will take you to a Bob Krist blog posting where he details what is in his portable lighting kit (as seen in the Nikon DVD) and you will see that the link for snoots, etc on that entry takes you to the Honl website.

nl

William Registered since 05th Aug 2004Mon 21-Dec-09 10:20 PM
#6. "RE: Wraparound Snoot"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 21-Dec-09 10:36 PM by William

Norwalk, US

nl -

Thanks for the link to Bob's site. That answers all the questions. really appreciate it.

William

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberMon 21-Dec-09 11:33 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wraparound Snoot"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 21-Dec-09 11:55 PM by Arkayem

>Russ -
>
>Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the Honl. I believe
>the Honl's leaves one side completely open.
>
>The one in the video was different. It was a fabric snoot
>that wrapped completely(360 degrees)around the SB900. It had
>what apeared to be velcro that attached to itself as it was
>wrapped around the speed light. It also allowed for the
>shaping of the actual amount of light passing through the
>snoot. He used it as a key light.

No, the Honl wraps completely around. There is no opening on any side.

You can also use the Honl as a reflector, and one side is open; maybe that is what you are thinking of.

edited to add: Sorry; I should have read the other replies before adding my reply.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Tue 22-Dec-09 01:08 AM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wraparound Snoot"
In response to Reply # 7

St Louis, US

Russ,
No need to apologize. I also find what you have to say is always quite informative and I always learn a thing or two. Keep spreading the good word.

Cheryl

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 22-Dec-09 01:40 AM
#9. "RE: Wraparound Snoot"
In response to Reply # 8

>Russ,
>No need to apologize. I also find what you have to say is
>always quite informative and I always learn a thing or two.
>Keep spreading the good word.

Thanks!

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #45929 Previous topic | Next topic