Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #45455
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System" Previous topic | Next topic
prophotoman Registered since 27th Jun 2009Tue 01-Dec-09 03:37 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"

Oakdale, US

I understand that there will soon be a pocket wizard that's fully compatable with Nikon's CLS. Anyone know when it will be released and what the model number will be? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 01-Dec-09 03:50 PM
8415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Joseph:

The Nikon version of Pocket Wizard's RF-TTL system has been delayed several times while RF interference problems are solved with the Canon version of the product. I may be wrong, but the last estimated release date I recall is January, 2010.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Go here for a list of membership upgrade benefits.

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 01-Dec-09 04:09 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

That is correct as per the Product Updates - October 2009 announcing the shield for the Canon flashes. The expected release date as at the bottom of the update.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 01-Dec-09 05:38 PM
25573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Joseph,

The Pocket Wizard MiniTT1-Nikon transmitter ($199.95) and FlexTT5-Nikon transciever ($219.95) should be introduced January 2010 if all goes well.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

hpbpe Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Wed 02-Dec-09 11:48 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 0

Acworth, US

Maybe I don't understand something. What will be the advantage? If it's fully compatible, the "line of sight" will still be required, won't it?

Hylos Barrett
"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." John Wooden

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Wed 02-Dec-09 12:31 PM
1463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 4

Rural Virginia, US

I believe "fully compatible" means that the PocketWizards will translate the CLS commands into RF signals so that you are no longer restricted to line of sight.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 02-Dec-09 03:02 PM
25573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 02-Dec-09 03:02 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Hylos,

As Luke wrote, since the Pocket Wizards are RF units line of sight is not required.
The Pocket Wizard units have a TTL range of 800 ft. and a Manual range of 1600 ft.

Best Regards,
Marty

Nour Registered since 20th Oct 2006Tue 08-Dec-09 12:10 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 6

Cairo, EG

Hi All,
Will this new versions work fully with the older Plus II and Multimax versions ?!!

Thanks

Nour El Refai
www.nourelrefai.com

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 08-Dec-09 03:56 AM
#8. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Nour,

Yes, They will work with the Plus, Plus II and Multimax trancievers in Manual mode. To use TTL flash control you must use a MiniTT1-Nikon or FlexTT5-Nikon as a transmitter and FlexTT5-Nikon(s) as recievers.

Best Regards,
Marty

kste1974 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Tue 08-Dec-09 08:18 AM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 8

US

So will these new PWs fire non TTL third-party speedlights in 'TTL,' compensating through the RF feed coming from the PW on the camera?

I ask b/c I have a SB-800 and was going to buy two SB-600s to use Nikon's CLS. However if my above question is true, then I could go full RF for a little more money by getting inexpensive manual flashes with PWs instead of more expensive TTL capable SB-600s.

http://flickr.com/photos/kstephotos
http://stephanphotos.com
Nikon D700 | Nikon D300 | Gitzo 1325 | Markins M20 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 85 1.4D | 50mm 1.4D | AB1600, SB-900, SB-800 | RadioPopper JrX Studio

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 08-Dec-09 08:47 AM
#10. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Kurt,

>So will these new PWs fire non TTL third-party speedlights in
>'TTL,' compensating through the RF feed coming from the PW on
>the camera?

No! The Pocket Wizard system requires the Speedlight to be Nikon i-TTL compatible to be controlled by the cameras i-TTL flash control system.
The remote Speedlight must be able to understand the wireless i-TTL signals in order for the system to work.

>I ask b/c I have a SB-800 and was going to buy two SB-600s to
>use Nikon's CLS. However if my above question is true, then I
>could go full RF for a little more money by getting
>inexpensive manual flashes with PWs instead of more expensive
>TTL capable SB-600s.

It won't work with non i-TTL Speedlights unless you are willing to use Manual flash control.
The remote i-TTL Speedlight will be controlled by RF signals transmitted by the in camera hotshoe PW transmitter (miniTT1-Nikon or FlexTT5-Nikon) and recived by the Pocket Wizard Reciever (FlexTT5-Nikon) as if it was attached to the to the camera hotshoe itself.

Best Regards,
Marty

kste1974 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Tue 08-Dec-09 09:01 AM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>Hi Kurt,
>
>>So will these new PWs fire non TTL third-party speedlights
>in
>>'TTL,' compensating through the RF feed coming from the PW
>on
>>the camera?
>
>No! The Pocket Wizard system requires the Speedlight to be
>Nikon i-TTL compatible to be controlled by the cameras i-TTL
>flash control system.
>The remote Speedlight must be able to understand the wireless
>i-TTL signals in order for the system to work.
>
>>I ask b/c I have a SB-800 and was going to buy two SB-600s
>to
>>use Nikon's CLS. However if my above question is true,
>then I
>>could go full RF for a little more money by getting
>>inexpensive manual flashes with PWs instead of more
>expensive
>>TTL capable SB-600s.
>
>It won't work with non i-TTL Speedlights unless you are
>willing to use Manual flash control.
>The remote i-TTL Speedlight will be controlled by RF signals
>transmitted by the in camera hotshoe PW transmitter
>(miniTT1-Nikon or FlexTT5-Nikon) and recived by the Pocket
>Wizard Reciever (FlexTT5-Nikon) as if it was attached to the
>to the camera hotshoe itself.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!
>

Well in that case, makes no sense for me to buy these new iTTL pocket wizards. Instead, I can buy the regular (less expensive) models and attach them one to my SB-800's port like someone here mentioned, which will give me the flexibility of iTTL as well as RF vs. IR firing.

Nikon D700 | Nikon D300 | Gitzo 1325 | Markins M20 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 85 1.4D | 50mm 1.4D | AB1600, SB-900, SB-800 | RadioPopper JrX Studio

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 08-Dec-09 09:17 AM
#12. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hi Kurt,

If you are talking about the Radio Poppers system, You must have an SB-900 or SB-800 in the cameras hotshoe to act as Commander with a Radio popper attached to it to convert the IF signals to RF. Then Transmit the RF signal to the Radio Popper reciever attached to each remote speedlight where the RF signals are converted back to IF so the remote Speedlight can "read" them.

The PW system does not require a Speedlight in the cameras hotshoe, only a MiniTT1-Nikon or a FlexTT5-Nikon which acts as Commander with a FlexTT5-Nikon for each remote. In other words all of your i-TTL Speedlights can be used as remotes without a Commander unit in the cameras hotshoe.

Best Regards,
Marty

kste1974 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Tue 08-Dec-09 10:53 AM
#13. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 12

US

>Hi Kurt,
>
>If you are talking about the Radio Poppers system, You must
>have an SB-900 or SB-800 in the cameras hotshoe to act as
>Commander with a Radio popper attached to it to convert the IF
>signals to RF. Then Transmit the RF signal to the Radio
>Popper reciever attached to each remote speedlight where the
>RF signals are converted back to IF so the remote Speedlight
>can "read" them.
>
>The PW system does not require a Speedlight in the cameras
>hotshoe, only a MiniTT1-Nikon or a FlexTT5-Nikon which acts as
>Commander with a FlexTT5-Nikon for each remote. In other
>words all of your i-TTL Speedlights can be used as remotes
>without a Commander unit in the cameras hotshoe.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Marty,

Understood. However, if I'm using the MiniTT1/Flex TT5 in the camera's hot shoe and have a FlexTT5 in the remote speedlight, the remote speedlight has to be Nikon TTL capable in order to operate with TTL, correct?

The answer I got was that if the speedlight is manual mode only (like a Vivitar or something), then it will only operate manually regardless whether or not a Flex TT5 is attached to it.

Nour Registered since 20th Oct 2006Tue 08-Dec-09 05:39 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 8

Cairo, EG

Thanks Marty so much
So what will be the advantages of using either the MiniTT1-Nikon or the FlexTT5 as a transmitter with my plus II as recievers !

I am not intereseted in using the TTL options

Nour El Refai
www.nourelrefai.com

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 08-Dec-09 06:12 PM
#15. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Hi Nour,

The way I understand it, the MiniTT1-Nikon and FlexTT5-Nikon will offer the "HyperSync" capability with any Pocket Wizard receiver:
Here is a description from the PW website:

"Use the MiniTT1 for standard triggering with any PocketWizard Receiver including the FlexTT5, PlusII or MultiMAX. When used this way with a digital camera, you can take advantage of PocketWizard’s HyperSync Technology that allows up to 1/500th of a second camera sync with many camera/strobe set-ups. HyperSync allows you to advance the timing of your flash trigger so that faster than X-sync speeds can be achieved."

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 08-Dec-09 06:31 PM
#16. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Hi Kurt,

>Understood. However, if I'm using the MiniTT1/Flex TT5 in the
>camera's hot shoe and have a FlexTT5 in the remote speedlight,
>the remote speedlight has to be Nikon TTL capable in order to
>operate with TTL, correct?

Yes! That is correct!

>The answer I got was that if the speedlight is manual mode
>only (like a Vivitar or something), then it will only operate
>manually regardless whether or not a Flex TT5 is attached to
>it.

Yes! That is also correct!

However Your statement at the end of the previous post:

>>Well in that case, makes no sense for me to buy these new iTTL pocket wizards. Instead, I can buy the regular (less expensive) models and attach them one to my SB-800's port like someone here mentioned, which will give me the flexibility of iTTL as well as RF vs. IR firing.<<

The only other currently available system capable of providing i-TTL flash control via RF signal is the Radio Popper system that I discribed above. The Radio Poppers system and the new Pocket Wizard system are at a similar price point.

There is a new Chinese made i-TTL capable RF system coming out in the near future as well at about a $200.00 price point.

All of the other "regular (less expensive)" RF triggering systems will work in Manual Flash mode Only. There are many brands at many different price points from about $30.00 or so up to $295.95. None will give you the " flexibility of iTTL as well as RF vs. IR firing."

Best Regards,
Marty

Nour Registered since 20th Oct 2006Tue 08-Dec-09 08:36 PM
#17. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 15

Cairo, EG

Thanks again Marty
This was very helpful

Nour El Refai
www.nourelrefai.com

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 08-Dec-09 08:54 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 16

Chicago, US

The Chinese system I have seen use the EU radio frequency of 433 MHz CE and not the US FCC/IC 340 - 354 MHz, so they might not be available to the US Market. It appears that the Chinese system Will not allow the commander unit on the camera, no hot hot shoe on the transmitter. I believe the PW will allow one to mix the studio strobes and Nikon iTTL units by using the PW remotes.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 08-Dec-09 09:27 PM
#19. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Hi George,

>The Chinese system I have seen use the EU radio frequency of
>433 MHz CE and not the US FCC/IC 340 - 354 MHz, so they might
>not be available to the US Market.

I didn't read the page that close to remember one way or the other.

>It appears that the Chinese
>system Will not allow the commander unit on the camera, no hot
>hot shoe on the transmitter. I believe the PW will allow one
>to mix the studio strobes and Nikon iTTL units by using the PW
>remotes.

Yes! That is the way I understand it as well.
The Pocket Wizard system appears to be much more versatile. Judging by my past experience with Pocket Wizards I am betting they will also be much more reliable too.

Best Regards,
Marty

WilBloodworth Registered since 28th Feb 2006Wed 09-Dec-09 09:00 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 17

The Colony, US

So just to be very clear... If I currently have PocketWizard Plus II transceivers that I use to trigger my WhiteLightning strobes. And sometimes I use my SB-900s off camera via IR... when I don't need the studio strobes or I want to do TTL... then IF I buy some of the FlexTT5 units I can use them to do the following:

1. Communicate with my legacy PW Plus II transceivers to fire my studio strobes manually at normal Nikon shutter speeds of up to around 1/350s.

2. Communicate in TTL mode up to 1/8000s with my SB-900 (with a FlexTT5 receiving the RF signal)

Does that sound correct? If so, that would be perfect.

Thank you,

- Wil

*** Great Success REQUIRES Great Effort ***

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 09-Dec-09 09:33 PM
#21. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 20

Chicago, US

Right now we are only reading marketing hype. Since it has taken sometime to get the Canon eTTL wireless working, I think one should see what is released and how it works.

There have also been some firmware updates for the Canon products. According to the PW documentation, you can use both the MiniTT1 OO Plus II, MultiMAX, Integrated, or FlexTT5 connected to manual flash
Remote flash with or without E-TTL flash on camera see page 7 of the PW documentation.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 09-Dec-09 10:43 PM
#22. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 20

US

Hi Wil,

>1. Communicate with my legacy PW Plus II transceivers to fire
>my studio strobes manually at normal Nikon shutter speeds of
>up to around 1/350s.

Yes!
The maximum sync speed of the particular camera model along with the shutter configuration will dictate the maximum "HyperSync" speed available for use. Some Cxxxn models will get up to 1/500th sec. We will see about the Nikons!

>2. Communicate in TTL mode up to 1/8000s with my SB-900 (with
>a FlexTT5 receiving the RF signal)

Yes, but you will require an MiniTT1-Nikon or FlexTT5-Nikon in the cameras hotshoe to transmit the RF signal to the remote FlexTT5-Nikon.

Best Regards,
Marty

WilBloodworth Registered since 28th Feb 2006Wed 09-Dec-09 11:03 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 22

The Colony, US

>Hi Wil,
>
>>1. Communicate with my legacy PW Plus II transceivers to
>fire
>>my studio strobes manually at normal Nikon shutter speeds
>of
>>up to around 1/350s.
>
>Yes!
>The maximum sync speed of the particular camera model along
>with the shutter configuration will dictate the maximum
>"HyperSync" speed available for use. Some Cxxxn
>models will get up to 1/500th sec. We will see about the
>Nikons!
>
>>2. Communicate in TTL mode up to 1/8000s with my SB-900
>(with
>>a FlexTT5 receiving the RF signal)
>
>Yes, but you will require an MiniTT1-Nikon or FlexTT5-Nikon in
>the cameras hotshoe to transmit the RF signal to the remote
>FlexTT5-Nikon.

S*W*E*E*T!!! That is awesome news! Thank you.

- Wil

prophotoman Registered since 27th Jun 2009Thu 18-Mar-10 03:23 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 23
Thu 18-Mar-10 03:32 PM by prophotoman

Oakdale, US

It may all be for naught. I checked the Pocket Wizard website... appears that they are still a very long ways away from releasing the Nikon CLS compatable PW, if ever.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 18-Mar-10 05:26 PM
#25. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 24
Thu 18-Mar-10 05:27 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Well it is much further along than when this post was started, New Product Updates - February 2010 and then there is the First FlexTT5 Nikon Prototype Test.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Thu 18-Mar-10 11:14 PM
949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 24

St Louis, US

>It may all be for naught. I checked the Pocket Wizard
>website... appears that they are still a very long ways away
>from releasing the Nikon CLS compatable PW, if ever.

Hi,
I was at the WPPI Convention held in Las Vegas, NV last week and went over to the Pocket Wizard's Booth. The vendors at the trade show were selling the Pocket Wizard's for Canon Speedlights, they were just released.
I spoke with one of the Pocket Wizard Engineer's and he said the release date for Nikon system should be this coming June. He did not have a prototype of the Nikon version with him at the show, but he did show me an image (on the back of a Nikon D3 LCD Screen) that he said was taken using the Pocket Wizard.

Cheryl

rselby Registered since 26th Feb 2006Sun 28-Mar-10 01:29 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#27. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 0

Modesto, US

I'm completely disgusted with PW's. I'm going to get the Radio Poppers PX and Jrx. Have you seen their fix for the Ca---'s. You have to put a shielding sock over the flash, I seriously doubt they'll have a viable working unit out in June. I e-mailed them a month ago and they told me the end of March beginning of April 2010, maybe the meant 2011 LOL.

The only negative's I've read about the RP's is price, battery life for the PX transceiver, the battery door/cover and having to use velcro. I have a work around for the velcro.

Dave Tejada gave the RP's a very nice review on youtube, he fired his flash from 700 feet in the review.

Does anyone else have any firsthand info on the RP's?

Best Regards,

Richard

rickpaul Basic MemberSun 28-Mar-10 03:06 PM
1806 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 27

Tucson, US

I agree I'm disgusted with how they have handled this one. Once the discovered the Canon system wasn't working right, they should have pulled the product from the market and gone back to drawing board until everything was working.

Instead they come up with a kludge for Canon, and keep giving Nikon shooters dates that are 3-6 months out. Their latest press release (March 10th) specifically refuses to provide a date (smart move, finally). But from their description of the current progress, and testing yet to to go, I would very, very surprised to see this system ship before the end of 2010.

I think people will be very hesitant to be early adopters. They have to give these away to get people to start using them.

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

kste1974 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Sun 28-Mar-10 05:20 PM
#29. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 28

US

I'm about to plop down just over $2k on an upgrade to my lighting kit which currently consists of one SB-800 (I love it), and a reflector. : )

I've had to make some tough decisions and in the end, will be going the full CLS route. Being an on-location portrait guy, I'll be certainly missing the benefit of RF the pocket wizards give, but my criteria for making on-the-fly adjustments to lighting ratios beat out that benefit.

So, I'll be getting an SU-800 and two SB-900s to complement my SB-800 (along with an assortment of other stuff such as stands, weights, background, Ni-MH batteries, etc.)

Maybe in the future I'll be able to add RF with iTTL by Pocket Wizard but hopefully I won't miss it too much with this setup.

Wish me luck!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 28-Mar-10 07:44 PM
8047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 29

Powder Springs, US

You should do well in that environment.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSun 28-Mar-10 08:22 PM
8415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 29

Phoenix, US

Kurt:

Congratulations on starting your own herd of Nikon speedlights. The CLS technology is often criticized for being difficult to learn, and optically (infrared) based. With your herd, you will be able to cover many situations. Once you understand the configuration options, it is a very logical system. The SB900 as the on-camera master is a bit easier to configure than an SB800. The SU800 is ideal when you don't want any contribution from the on-camera master.

When the need arises, you can always acquire the current Pocket Wizards and continue shooting when optical triggering no longer works due to distance, obstructions, etc. The only other investment you might consider would be a flash meter, if you don't already have one. With practice, you will quickly get pretty good at estimating power levels for the remote units, and confirming them with the flash meter.

Let us know if we can be of any help getting into the CLS mode, and leet us see some of your work.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

kste1974 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Sun 28-Mar-10 08:41 PM
#32. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 31
Sun 28-Mar-10 08:42 PM by kste1974

US

Thanks for your input. Your contributions are always detailed and helpful. I still remember reeling from the conversation (thread) where you were discussing the inner-workings of CLS as you dissected and reverse engineered. At least I think that was you?

Either way, my head is still spinning from that. ; )

Oh...light meter has been in and out of various shopping carts for about a year. Haven't got one yet because I'm lazy and prefer to take test shots and use my eyeball meter looking at the LCD and histogram...lol.

You're right though, I should get one.

Take care,
Kurt

>Kurt:
>
>Congratulations on starting your own herd of Nikon
>speedlights. The CLS technology is often criticized for being
>difficult to learn, and optically (infrared) based. With your
>herd, you will be able to cover many situations. Once you
>understand the configuration options, it is a very logical
>system. The SB900 as the on-camera master is a bit easier to
>configure than an SB800. The SU800 is ideal when you don't
>want any contribution from the on-camera master.
>
>When the need arises, you can always acquire the current
>Pocket Wizards and continue shooting when optical triggering
>no longer works due to distance, obstructions, etc. The only
>other investment you might consider would be a flash meter, if
>you don't already have one. With practice, you will quickly
>get pretty good at estimating power levels for the remote
>units, and confirming them with the flash meter.
>
>Let us know if we can be of any help getting into the CLS
>mode, and leet us see some of your work.
>
>Regards,
>
>HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
>Nikonian Team Member
>
>Go
>
>here> for a list of membership upgrade benefits.
>
>Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 29-Mar-10 02:38 AM
#33. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 32

Phoenix, US

Kurt:

Yes, it was me dissecting the CLS technology with my preflash and image capture pulse images in the pinned thread at the top of this forum. Much fun!

As long as the optical (IR) CLS is working for you, there is not much need for a meter. When you out-run CLS and shift to manual mode with Pocket Wizards, a meter will be a very useful tool.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

kste1974 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Mon 29-Mar-10 02:43 AM
#34. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 33

US

I kinda end up switching to manual with my CLS as it is...when I'm stationary for more than a few shots that is. That's why I like it though...the option of going into stupid mode with little worry.

>Kurt:
>
>Yes, it was me dissecting the CLS technology with my preflash
>and image capture pulse images in the pinned thread at the top
>of this forum. Much fun!
>
>As long as the optical (IR) CLS is working for you, there is
>not much need for a meter. When you out-run CLS and shift to
>manual mode with Pocket Wizards, a meter will be a very useful
>tool.
>
>Regards,
>
>HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
>Nikonian Team Member
>
>Go
>
>here> for a list of membership upgrade benefits.
>
>Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

prophotoman Registered since 27th Jun 2009Mon 29-Mar-10 03:39 PM
#35. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 27

Oakdale, US

I think I gave them far too much benifit of the doubt when I expected them to come out with anything that works with CLS this year. Perhaps they've almost given up on this project. They use the excuse that the problem is with the firmware/software... I expect that by November they will drop the project completely, especially since they can't even get the Canon version to work properly. The market for this kind of wireless operation is definately out there. Perhaps one of their competitors can come up with a very workable system instead of putting out excuses.

kste1974 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Mon 29-Mar-10 04:59 PM
#36. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 35
Mon 29-Mar-10 05:03 PM by kste1974

US

Does anyone know why Nikon hasn't transitioned from IR to RF, (other than concerns about leaving Legacy systems in the dust) for their CLS? Maybe he answer is the key to PW's current issues in terms of iTTL cPability with RF?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 29-Mar-10 05:01 PM
#37. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 35

Chicago, US

Pocket Wizard is working on RF devices for 2 different radio spectrum's, the U.S. and the EU, along with the digital control of 2 different flash systems, Canon eTTL and Nikon iTTL and integrating this into the PW existing Plus II and MultiMAX units. This is quite a bit of work to get fully integrated and work out EMF interference.

The big issue with Canon, was the stray electrical noise generated by some of the Canon flash units. Nikon units do not appear to have this issue.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 29-Mar-10 05:25 PM
#38. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 36
Mon 29-Mar-10 05:27 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Did you look at the TriCoast preview of PX Preview videos?

There is a comparison of PW and RadioPopper with the Canon systems. The Nikon had no RF issues.

And RadioPoppers with just the US radio spectrum still does not have all of the pieces available for integrating the Nikon CLS Wireless with remote studio strobe controls.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 29-Mar-10 06:55 PM
#39. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 36

Phoenix, US

Kurt:

With a world-wide market to consider, producing a set of RF controlled TTL speedlights involves three separate sets of frequencies: North American, European and Japanese, all of which are different.

Would they make one model with DIP switches to set to a given country's frequency? Not likely, as how would they assure users always select the right set?

One model with a small plug-in slot for a card that sets the frequency set for the country of purchase? Buy the basic speed light and the card(s) required by the countries you plan to visit? Perhaps.

Three separate models? Hard to keep design and production costs and selling price down.

The possibilities continue.

With Nikon's current optical (IR) system, the problem goes away, as one size fits all countries and they don't have to worry about users violating any RF standards.

I suspect the Pocket Wizard designers initially assumed a greater level of consistency between camera and speed light models than existed. What works fine with one camera/speed light conbination may not work at all with another, due to circuit design differences in one, or both, units. Radio frequency (RF) noise can be very difficult to identify, track down, and contain when working with multiple camera/speed light combinations. Tough enough within a single product family (Nikon or Canon), and even more difficult when trying to adapt a single basic design to both of them in order to keep manufacturing costs and selling prices down.

An interesting question. We are all waiting to see what is next in Nikon's speedlight lineup.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

kste1974 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Mon 29-Mar-10 08:29 PM
#40. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 37

US

Hal...that's a great idea for Nikon to provide an RF upgrade option. The only reason I can see as to why they wouldn't would be the R&D and added production costs. Too bad Nikon doesn't have a consumer and pro variant of speedlights like they sorta do with their lenses...i.e. gold banded SB-900 with choice of RF or IR for $ x) more, then the consumer SB-900 at current cost.

I'm sure Nikon has to have given the technology some thought. Too many pros that need/want it, to not do so.

rselby Registered since 26th Feb 2006Tue 30-Mar-10 04:12 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#41. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 38
Wed 31-Mar-10 12:34 PM by rselby

Modesto, US

Hi, gkaiseril,

I hope I read your comment correctly???

I believe the Radio Popper PX and JRx do have integration with studio strobes, by using the JRx for the receiver. The JRx has the ability to integrate with the PX transceiver, you can control Alien Bees or White Lightning studio strobes plus other Nikon Speed lights in CLS. The AB's and WL's are of course in Manual mode. You can control the modeling lamp and the flash output of the AB's/ WL's from the PX transceiver as well as Speed Lights in CLS. The Speed Lights will need the PX receiver to work in CLS.

EDITED, this is incorrect.
... until the RP cube comes available. Using the RP cube with JRx system will allow the use of CLS from what I've read. It's a cheaper solution than the PX system.

Corrected statement;
the RP cube with the JRx receiver allows you to adjust "Manual" flash settings from the camera, no CLS compatibility with the JRx receiver/RP cube.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Regards,

Richard

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 30-Mar-10 05:20 PM
#42. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 41

Chicago, US

Have you looked at the RadioPopper X System Compatibility Guide? The JrX controls the studio strobes and the PX system fully controls the SB-900/800/600. Yes one could manually adjust the SB-900/800 or other compatible TTL strobe with the RP cube and the JrX transmitter but then one loses the CLS features of the SB-900/800/600. The RP Cube only adds a quench circuit to limit the output of the attached TTL flash.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

txrpls Registered since 19th Dec 2007Wed 31-Mar-10 10:44 AM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 42
Wed 31-Mar-10 10:49 AM by txrpls

San Antonio, US

You are mis-reading the PX on a SU 800 or a SB 800-900 will control remote Nikon CLS flash with PX receivers and control Bluff studio strobes.with JrX receivers. The studio strobes will be manually controlled (remotely) and the CLS system will also work in full CLS mode. You can also use certain other brands of flashes in manual mode with the RP Cubes. The bottom line is that you can seamlessly mix CLS and manual remote control with the Radio Poppers, although I tend to work either totally CLS or remote. I rarely mix the two although it works fine.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 01-Apr-10 08:49 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Pocket Wizard and Nikon's Creative Lighting System"
In response to Reply # 40

St Petersburg, RU

There are many variables that Nikon probably does not want to be responsible for. They have no desire for repair requests every time a taxi drives by or an amateur radio operator down the street cranks up his 2kw pep amplifier.
I have my wireless RF links working with CLS but I am not trying to get a general system that works with every possible combination of cameras and speedlights. I built mine to work with my D90 and my SB900 and the Sigma 530Super. I seldom use them however because for the smaller range I need inside clubs, the current IR CLS is perfect. If I was doing more in large halls or outdoors I would be using it all the time. The range is currently about 200 meters and diminishing trigger reliability further out.

Originally I was using 433 but last year I got TYPE ACCEPTANCE from the government for a 763mhz band usage for some tour guide wireless audio systems I have been having made in China for me. I currently have 4,700 of the 3 channel receives and 460 transmitters.
That band is used for many professional wireless mics used in broadcast, theater and film work. The FCC has stopped that band from use by these services recently so the cheap models are going down to the 430 band and the higher end are going up to 2.4Ghz. Here in Russia I am OK but if I want to import the wireless audio systems to the US I will need to move to the upper UHF frequency. That I am doing so I will end up with spare modules for the RF links that will work perfectly for my next version of a CLS RF link.
I suspect the main problem with getting the RF links out now by PW and RP is that they really are small specialty companies without proper engineering staff. The problems are not that great. If a hobby experimenter (ok, a professional EE with a well equipped min-lab....) can get it working reliably with $35 in parts I would expect Nikon to skate to a successful conclusion if they wanted to add RF to their CLS. The advantage to 2.4Ghz is that there are millions of super cheap modules available($2), and that band is permitted in all ITU member countries(All of N. and S America, Europe, Eastern Europe, most of Africa and Oceania, Asia etc.)for license free low power operation.
Personally I do not see what the problem is with PW and RP except possibly a lack of technical sophistication.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #45455 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.