Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42579
View in threaded mode

Subject: "You think you've seen newbie's before ..." Previous topic | Next topic
kenglade Registered since 18th Feb 2009Sun 28-Jun-09 02:37 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"You think you've seen newbie's before ..."

Rio Rancho, US

To begin, let me confess my ignorance about using speedlights.

I was invited to a wedding reception last night as a guest so I figured I'd bring along my D300 and my new SB-600, which I'd never used in a real world situation. To prepare, I dug out my Thom Hogan and set up a "flash" custom shooting bank per his recommendations. But when i tried to use it (speedlight attached to the camera), I couldn't get the SB-600 to fire.

I was trying to use it in A priority with a 50/1.8 wide open at ISO 800. When that didn't work, I switched to another custom bank, "portrait", and that didn't work either. I got it to work using the "point and shoot" bank but the results were not great.

The light in the hall was very dim.

If any of yu have the patience to tell me what I was doing wrong (so I can correct it for the future even though I rarely use flash) I'd be grateful.

BTW, when i stored the speedlight, the onboard flash worked satisfactorily.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSun 28-Jun-09 08:45 PM
8485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: You think you've seen newbie's before ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Ken:

Did you perhaps have the SB600 set to the remote mode?

I don't own a D300, so cannot tell you much about it. I do own an SB600, which will not fire on my D40X when it is configured for remote mode.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Go here for a list of membership upgrade benefits.

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 28-Jun-09 10:27 PM
8151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: You think you've seen newbie's before ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Hal probably has it nailed. Did you swap out batteries, just in case?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

kenglade Registered since 18th Feb 2009Tue 30-Jun-09 04:15 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: You think you've seen newbie's before ..."
In response to Reply # 2

Rio Rancho, US

Thanks, Guys. That apparently was the problem. It seems to be working OK now. FYI, I recharged the batteries just before I left.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42579 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.