Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #27943
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Sigma or Metz as master flashes with SB 600 as slave" Previous topic | Next topic
zorch Registered since 17th Sep 2004Tue 01-Jan-08 09:07 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sigma or Metz as master flashes with SB 600 as slave"

Moscow, RU

I have D80 and SB600 and need an on-camera master flash for use in CLS mode. Has anybody tried Sigma 530 Super or Metz 58 as master flashes in this combination?

Best regards,
Denis
http://www.denis-kazakov.name

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MarkF Registered since 20th Dec 2005Tue 08-Jan-08 04:34 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sigma or Metz as master flashes with SB 600 as slav"
In response to Reply # 0

Northern Virginia area, US

Yes I have, using the Metz 58 with an SB-800. It works very well.

It seems that no matter where you point the Metz, the nikon SB-800 will fire correctly, every time.

I now use the Metz on camera as my primary flash, and only pull out the SB-800 when I need a second flash.

Mark F

PS. It helps to read BOTH manuals!

MarkF

D800
I still own an F100; do you think film will make a comeback?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Tue 08-Jan-08 04:48 PM
937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sigma or Metz as master flashes with SB 600 as slav"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I have D80 and SB600 and need an on-camera master flash for
>use in CLS mode. Has anybody tried Sigma 530 Super or Metz
>58 as master flashes in this combination?

One, your D80 internal flash menu can be CLS commander to control remote Nikon CLS flashes.

Two, better check this very closely before purchase. I have not tried them, but the literature says these third party flashes can support Nikon iTTL mode, however that is NOT CLS. The third party specifications never mentions CLS or Commander mode. My opinion is that they are supposed to work as iTTL on the hotshoe as specified, which is a good thing too, but no way they can use CLS to trigger the remote Nikon CLS flashes. Their specifications do not include CLS.

If you want CLS, better look for the specific word CLS in the marketing literature. That pretty much leaves only the SB-600 and SB-800 for flashes, and only the SB-800 or SU-800 if you want a CLS commander. But your D80 already does this.

The SB-800 also has its SU-4 mode, where it becomes a simple optical triggered manual flash, which can be triggered by any other manual flash. This is a remote manual mode, but it is not CLS.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #27943 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.