Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23351
View in threaded mode

Subject: "SB-400 with D200 + 17-35mm f/2.8 coverage" Previous topic | Next topic
zooloo Registered since 06th Nov 2004Sat 19-May-07 09:49 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-400 with D200 + 17-35mm f/2.8 coverage"

Chicago, US

Anyone using an SB-400 with a D200 and the 17-35mm f/2.8 Nikkor?

The built-in flash on the D200 casts a shadow at the mid to wider end of this lens, so I need a compact speedlight that doesn't do so.

The SB-400 seems like a good complement to my SB-800 -- which gets too bulky to carry around for general purpose stuff where I use my 17-35mm.

From online docs it seems the coverage is about 18mm for DX format sensors ... so can I assume that if I only zoom out to no wider than 18mm I will be OK? Has this been a prob for anyone who's using this combo?

Should I consider something else?

--
VK

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
janlej Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2004Sun 20-May-07 06:54 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-400 with D200 + 17-35mm f/2.8 coverage"
In response to Reply # 0

Brugge, BE

Ken Rockwell has examples of use with 12-24 and 10.5 lenses: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm

Jan L.
Brugge - Belgium

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

zooloo Registered since 06th Nov 2004Sun 20-May-07 04:45 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-400 with D200 + 17-35mm f/2.8 coverage"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

>Ken Rockwell has examples of use with 12-24 and 10.5 lenses:
>http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm

Thanks ... he has a similar reason for using the SB-400 (practicality), and he is using it a lot wider than I intend to, so that's encouraging.

However, can I assume the coverage is a function of:

1. Angle/focal length
2. Length/width of the lens?

The 12-24mm lens is 82mm wide x 90mm long, whereas the 17-35mm is 84mm wide x 105mm long.

Would this make a noticeable difference (in particular the extra 15mm of length)? Or can I assume the sample pics at 12mm give enough fudge factor for what I need?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 20-May-07 05:40 PM
29079 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-400 with D200 + 17-35mm f/2.8 coverage"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I don't have the 17-35mm, and this isnt my usual setup, but I just tried the SB-400mm on a D200 with the 17-55mm Nikkor fitted for you

Without the lens hood fitted, there was no shadowing, and flash coverage was even across the frame. With the hood, there was a dark semicircular shadow at the bottom of the frame.

The 17-35mm is smaller than the 17-55mm but has a physically wider hood, so I'm guessing you'd be OK without the hood fitted

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

zooloo Registered since 06th Nov 2004Mon 21-May-07 03:03 AM
#4. "RE: SB-400 with D200 + 17-35mm f/2.8 coverage"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Cool! Thanks so much for testing that! Much appreciated.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23351 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.