Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #224
View in threaded mode

Subject: "metering modes/TTL flash" Previous topic | Next topic
TT Basic MemberThu 09-Aug-01 10:27 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"metering modes/TTL flash"

Do the 3 metering modes (matrix, center weight, spot) affect the flash output either in matrix balanced TTL or standard TTL, or do they only adjust for the ambient light ?? Normally I set the camera to center-weight metering, the SB-25 to standard TTL and use -0.7 to -1.7 with pretty good success. What about +-EV in matrix balanced TTL ??

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jnscbl Basic MemberFri 10-Aug-01 03:43 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: metering modes/TTL flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-01 AT 05:44 AM (GMT)

In slow synch on newer models, or manual exposure settings on older models, ambient light is measured. In those modes in which the shutterspeed defaults to the maximum synch speed when flash is turned on, the ambient light is apparently ignored. If the ambient light is low, you will have a flash exposure. If the ambient light is bright, and the max synch speed is too slow for the aperture, the shutterspeed flashes as a warning, at least on the cameras I am familiar with. I mostly use spot metering with flash, which means standard TTL, I suppose.

http://home1.nikonnet.com/sessions/3099116106/1154137lg.jpg

In this shot, I set the ambient exposure manually, spot metering on the sky, then spot metered on the walking stick for the flash. I did not set flash exposure compensation here, but occasionally I set -1/2 stop. I rarely use matrix, but as an averaging type meter, it's good for sunsets. ---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #224 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.