nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #213
View in threaded mode

Subject: "SU-4 or SC-17" Previous topic | Next topic
johanw Basic MemberWed 08-Aug-01 07:39 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SU-4 or SC-17"

Hi,
I have a F80 and a SB-22s speedlight. I would like to get the flash of the camera. As far as I have understood there is two ways of doing this, either get the SC-17 cord or the wireless SU-4. Since where I live the price for these two items is more or less identical I would like to get some opinions on what is most preferable.

If I get the SC-17, I will get all capabilities that the flash and camera provides but there is no way of using the built-in speedlight together with the SB-22s.

On the other hand if I get the SU-4 I will get the possibility to use both flashes. But I will loose the TTL matrix metering (right?)

I would like to get your input on this matter to help me understand the pros and cons of each solution and verify that my assumption are right.

Thanks,

Johan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 09-Aug-01 02:32 AM
35231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SU-4 or SC-17"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-01 AT 03:42 AM (GMT)

Options for camera built-in flash + external flash:
I. One light source.
I.a. The built-in flash only.
I.b. The external flash mounted on the hot shoe of the camera.
I.c. External flash off camera with SC-17 cord connected to the camera hot shoe.
II. Two light sources.
II.a. Built-in (master) flash, triggering external (slave) flash off camera on any slave unit.
II.b. Built-in flash (master) triggering a SU-4 control unit, in turn triggering the (slave) external flash. The SU-4 light sensor not only triggers the external flash used as slave to fire simultaneously with the master or triggering flash, but controls the flash duration of the slave unit, in sync with the master unit, to provide TTL, non-TTL, or Manual operation, as I had the chance to try and show in the above link.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #213 Previous topic | Next topic