Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #209
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Cheap light?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bsharps Basic MemberSat 04-Aug-01 05:27 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cheap light?"

I really don't have much use for big light in front of the camera as much as I do behind it. All I need to do is put some CHEAP light into a photographic umbrella utilizing the SU-17 attachment on my N65.

Any suggestions?

John

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 04-Aug-01 06:10 PM
34754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cheap light?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Vivitar 283 manual flash. You don't even need a TTL cord for it since it is manual.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jnscbl Basic MemberSun 05-Aug-01 02:12 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cheap light?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Since an umbrella is usually stationary, the 283 would be great. However, you will need the hotshoe/synch cord adapter AS-15. An equivalent unit to the 283 that is also dedicated TTL is the Sunpak 433AF, under a hundred dollars. For it you would need the SC-17.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Merlin Basic MemberMon 13-Aug-01 11:41 AM
416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cheap light?"
In response to Reply # 2

John,

Cheap, big, portrait light: Used Metz 45 CT-1 for about $50... drill an 8mm hole through the plastic part of the bracket, and you can squeeze the shaft of your flash umbrella into the hole. Flip the head backwards to punch into the umbrella, leaving the sensor facing forwards. Mount the whole lot on a tripod, and set F-5.6 for 100 ASA film.

Voila! You now have something most studio photogs don't: A fully automatic studio flash unit!

Give me a day or two and I'll post a picture of mine.

Mike

http://www.geocities.com/heidoscop/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #209 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.