nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1

icware

Lithia, US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
icware Basic Member
Wed 01-Aug-01 01:29 AM

Fellow Nikonians,

I recently moved my business in the direction of digital imaging and purchased a D1 (what a fantastic camera). I have previously owned and operated the F3HP and F4S, and currently use the SB-25 for my flash. What I'm wondering is, has anyone had any experience shooting with the D1 with any flashes other than the SB-28DX (preferrably of course the SB-25 for comparison), and if so, do they have any recommendations for continued use, or is the only recommendation to move to the SB-28DX. For obvious reasons, namely $$$$, I don't wish to go purchase the DX unless I really have to, but I'm getting a bit uneasy from the auto flash mode provided using the SB-25, so I look to my fellow Nikonians for help.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Ian
----
Ian C. Ware
http://www.iajephoto.com

Johnny

Westampton, US
1038 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1" | In response to Reply # 0

Johnny Basic Member
Wed 01-Aug-01 12:12 PM

Ian,

Unfortunately, the SB-28DX is your only choice. The SB-28DX takes into consideration the reflectivity of the CCD chip in your D1 for TTL metering. Not even the standard SB-28 does that.

Chances are you can trade in your SB-25 and buy an SB-28DX. Good thing is the SB-28DX will work with your other cameras (it is not a D1-only item).

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confuciuscolor>

icware

Lithia, US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1" | In response to Reply # 1

icware Basic Member
Thu 02-Aug-01 02:00 AM

Thanks Johnny,

I appreciate the reply. Guess I'll have to just bite the bullet. Like you say, at least it works on all the older cameras too.

..... Say anyone in the market for a slightly used SB-25, only had it one month......

Thanks again.

Ian

Ian
----
Ian C. Ware
http://www.iajephoto.com

BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

#3. "RE: SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1" | In response to Reply # 0

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Thu 02-Aug-01 02:01 AM

If you can find one, the new SB-50dx also has the necessary "dx" feature that provides proper TTL exposures with the D1. Without a dx model, you have to use regular autoflash or manual flash to get good results. The SB-50dx only comes in one "flavor", unlike the SB-28. I've yet to see one, but the price is listed at about $180 at the catalog shops.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Johnny

Westampton, US
1038 posts

#4. "RE: SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1" | In response to Reply # 3

Johnny Basic Member
Thu 02-Aug-01 02:12 PM

Whoops. BJ is right (as usual ). The SB-50DX should work with the D1 also. The trick is getting one.

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confuciuscolor>

G