nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43723
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon Nikkor 50mm f2 Lens with D40" Previous topic | Next topic
mesharp Registered since 02nd Jun 2011Fri 03-Jun-11 12:02 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Nikkor 50mm f2 Lens with D40"

UK

Hi All,

Sorry if this is ridiculously noob, but I am just that!

I have a D40 and I thought Id play with some of the older lenses available on Ebay.

I bought one and when I attach it to the d40 the aperture locks totally open with me not able to change it using the aperture ring.

Am i being stupid? Is there something I need to do be able to adjust the F number?

Sorry again if its me being an idiot.

Thanks

Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 03-Jun-11 04:03 AM
3368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Nikkor 50mm f2 Lens with D40"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 03-Jun-11 04:05 AM by aolander

Nevis, US

That's the way it is supposed to be. The aperture stays wide open, but closes down to the set aperture when the shutter is released. (Stop the lens down a bit, look into the lens, and release the shutter; you'll see the aperture close down.) You'll have to use manual exposure mode and check the histogram to get the exposure right, i.e. no metering with this lens.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mesharp Registered since 02nd Jun 2011Fri 03-Jun-11 09:36 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Nikkor 50mm f2 Lens with D40"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Thanks Alan, I told you it was me being stupid!

Im loving the lens, the pictures are great!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43723 Previous topic | Next topic