Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43688
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D50 won't recognize new memory card" Previous topic | Next topic
sassafrasfilms Registered since 17th May 2011Tue 17-May-11 08:50 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 won't recognize new memory card"

US

Hi! I own a Nikon D50 and have recently bought a brand new Sandisk Extreme III 4 G SD card to replace my old Sandisk card. My problem is that my camera will not recognize my new card and I get a CHA error message in my viewer. I still recognizes my old Sandisk card just fine, the only difference in the two cards being that my old one is a 2 G card instead of a 4.

I got the CHA error message on my camera several months ago and it would not play ANY memory card at all. I had to send it in and get the circuit board repaired. But ever since then it has worked fine with my old memory card.

I've formatted my new card in my camera and in my computer, but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
~Sassafras Films

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 17-May-11 09:33 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Your manual only list cards upto 1 GB as approved. Above that you are on your own.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

sassafrasfilms Registered since 17th May 2011Tue 17-May-11 09:34 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 1

US

If that be the case then why have I not had any trouble with my 2 G I've been using for 7 months? Thanks!

Sassafras films

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 17-May-11 11:28 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

Nikon does not say you can not use it. Nikon just says it has not tested and will not guarantee it will work. Possibly a different manufacturer's 4GB card will work but there is still no guarantee.

You gambled and you did not win.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Tue 17-May-11 11:42 PM
509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 2

Maple Ridge, CA

I tried all the tricks I could think, formatting with FAT instead of FAT32, format in computer first, with no luck. Sadly, you may have to use 2G cards in your D50. All my 4G SD cards are the newer SDHC (high capacity) ones not the older SDSC (standard), you may want to try and find some of the older SD or SDSC cards. Some older SD cards were made over the official 2G limit of the SDSC specs before the newer SDHC specs were introduced, no guarantees they will work in the D50 as they are not officially supported. I have several 2G cards that all work with my D50, but I cannot locate any of the older 4G cards to see if they would work too. The good news is that the older cards are cheap, well until it gets known that they are the only cards that work in the older cameras.... hmmm... I'll heading to the dollar store, see if I can get them at 2 for a buck.

Happy Shooting

Howard

Will shoot for fame...fun...food... a heck I'll shoot anytime anywhere.

sassafrasfilms Registered since 17th May 2011Wed 18-May-11 02:05 AM
#5. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for the feedback! I hope I can return my card i just bought. I got it offline so we'll see. If not I suppose I can use it on my HD video camera as a backup.

Any suggestions on where I could find the older SD cards? And does this mean that I couldn't even get away with buying another "new" 2GB card?

Sassafras films

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 18-May-11 03:31 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

The D50 does not support SDHC cards, only the older original SD format. That restricts the capacity of cards to 2GB.

Chris

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 18-May-11 03:45 PM
#7. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 5

Chicago, US

You might try the photo department at larger chain drug stores, big box stores, photography shop. You may need to have them special order the card through the store or the web site. Best Buy still list the 2GB SD card. They also list larger SD cards, but unless you can test them, I would not risk buying one.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Wed 18-May-11 09:28 PM
509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 5

Maple Ridge, CA

You can try the dollar stores around where you live, I have one here that has a good selection of electronic accessories that get in SD cards and thumb drives from time to time. Could be a local thing, as some teachers want school projects turned in on SD cards or thumb drives. Staples has 2GB cards as well as my local computer and camera stores have them but at a higher price than Staples.

Happy shooting,

Howard

sassafrasfilms Registered since 17th May 2011Fri 20-May-11 04:58 PM
#9. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thank you everyone for your advise! I bought a 2 GB card yesterday and it works fine. I guess I learned the hard way this time. :-D

Happy shooting!

Sassafras films

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Fri 20-May-11 08:58 PM
#10. "RE: D50 won't recognize new memory card"
In response to Reply # 9

Maple Ridge, CA

Glad to hear you're back in business.

Wishing you great light and smiling subjects,

Howard

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43688 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.