Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43678
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What should my next lens for D50" Previous topic | Next topic
joe1515 Registered since 22nd Apr 2011Sat 14-May-11 11:10 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What should my next lens for D50"
Sat 14-May-11 11:10 AM by joe1515

Bayport, US

Hello,

I am looking for help on what my next lens should be. I have Nikon D50 for years I was using a Quantary 18-200 lens, I have always known it was not a great lens. Just recently I purchased the 50mm f/1.4D AF and WOW what an improvement.

So what should my next lens or lens's be? The main use of the camera is take pictures of our daughter and dog at mainly close distance. That was the reason for the 50MM portrait lens.

One more thing to throw out there, is we will eventually be upgrading the the 7000 body, and I would like the lenses to be compatible. I feel the lenses are the most important and I want to take care of them first.

Thanks,

Joe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sat 14-May-11 01:13 PM
2739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What should my next lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

There are lots of possibilities, Joe. One, if you want another prime lens that matches the quality of your 50mm, is to add a Nikon 35mm f1.8. More versatility would come with a 16-85 Nikon zoom. Another possibility for higher quality, but more weight and more expense, is a Nikon 17-55 f2.8. All are compatible with the D7000.

Randy

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 15-May-11 08:57 PM
26437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What should my next lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The choices are many.
The D7000, like your D50 is fully compatible with All AF Nikon F mount lenses with the exception of the 80mm f/2.8 and the 200mm f/3.5 made for the F3AF back in 1983.
What is your budget?
Do you want to replace your Quanteray 18-200mm?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Sun 15-May-11 09:24 PM
5798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What should my next lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm fortunate enough to have my grandchildren close and they are frequent subjects. One lens that has consistently delivered my best results for family photography is my Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 AFS DX lens. This lens is also compatible with the D7000.

The 17-55mm is now considered a mid-range zoom. Something that qualifies for general photography (family/events/travel/etc.). This lens is a super quality lens and could be considered a DX Pro lens. It is a f/2.8 aperture meaning it lets in a lot of light for indoor photography. The f/2.8 aperture also means that you have some aperture control for DOF - however your 50mm f/1.4 is best for this. The 17-55mm is a heavy and somewhat bulky lens.

Another good choice is the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 AFS DX lens. This is top-rated consumer lens - meaning that it doesn't have the constant f/2.8 aperture. The longer reach of this lens over the 17-55 would make it a slightly better choice for travel, but the smaller aperture selection would restrict it a bit more for natural low-light photography. The 16-85mm is a bit more compact than the 17-55 f/2.8 and might be preferred as a carry everywhere lens because of that.

The cost difference between these two lenses is significant. Depending on your needs, one might be a better choice over the other (regardless of cost). It's a good exercise to take a few evenings and review your images to see if any kind of usage pattern emerges with your current lenses. I've always found that information valuable for making new lens choices.

BTW: I'm sure you would find either of these lenses perform better than your current 18-200.

There are a lot of possibilities and the right lens is a personal decision. I hope this helps bring a few things to light. Good luck in your selection.

Best Regards,
Roger

joe1515 Registered since 22nd Apr 2011Sun 15-May-11 11:58 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What should my next lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 2

Bayport, US

>Hi Joe,
>
>Welcome to Nikonians!
>The choices are many.
>The D7000, like your D50 is fully compatible with All AF Nikon
>F mount lenses with the exception of the 80mm f/2.8 and the
>200mm f/3.5 made for the F3AF back in 1983.
>What is your budget?
>Do you want to replace your Quanteray 18-200mm?
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Thanks for the warm welcome. My budget is probably around $1,200. I am not necessarily replacing the quantary I am retiring it, because it is not very good. I am looking to replace with a few different lenses that make sense. One of the lenses I am going to purchase is the Nikon 70-300.

I am looking for something to complete the 50mm prime and then the 70-300.

Thanks,
Joe

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 16-May-11 01:38 AM
26437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What should my next lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Joe,

The Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX pairs up very well with the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR and fits within your budget. You will then have the range from 16mm to 300mm covered with quality glass.

Best Regards,
Marty

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Mon 16-May-11 04:06 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What should my next lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

Another lens to consider is the 24-120 f4 afs vr. It looks a little large on the D50 but its a very nice general purpose lens.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

joe1515 Registered since 22nd Apr 2011Fri 20-May-11 04:38 AM
#7. "RE: What should my next lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 20-May-11 04:39 AM by joe1515

Bayport, US

Thanks for all the help so far.

Just a quick update last night I purchased the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G and I figured what the heck so I purchased the D7000 body.

So far the new body paired with the 50 and 35mm prime lenses are stunning and I have no idea how to use the new 7000 yet.

I am still going to purchase down the road the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR

Joe

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 20-May-11 09:51 AM
#8. "RE: What should my next lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Joe,

Congratulations on your new kit.
Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43678 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.