Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43632
View in threaded mode

Subject: "View finder ?" Previous topic | Next topic
bushwack1 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2010Sun 03-Apr-11 01:47 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View finder ?"

Grand Marais, US

Hi, in the view finder, you have 3 squares, not sure what else to call them, I want to use the center one but I can't seem find out how. I'm taking bird shots, any help would be great, thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 03-Apr-11 03:31 PM
25009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View finder ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 03-Apr-11 03:32 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi David,

The three rectangles are the locations of the three AF Points.
What Focus Area mode are you using?
To use the center AF point, set the AF Area mode to Single Point or Dynamic Area (see page 24 in the D40 Users Manual ). For BIF (Birds In Flight) Dynamic Area AF would be the best choice. Then use the Multi-Selector on the back of the camera to highlight the center AF Point. See page 3 in the D40 Users Manual.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

bushwack1 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2010Sun 03-Apr-11 11:46 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View finder ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Grand Marais, US

Thanks, I have aD60 and a D40, the D60 is my problem child, tried Dynamic area and still is using the right af point, the focus area has 4 modes, I'm going through them now, Thanks again

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 04-Apr-11 12:30 AM
25009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View finder ?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi David,

In Dynamic Area AF mode, the camera will use the highlighted AF Point to establish focus and the surrounding AF Points to track the movement of your subject. Here is the D60 Users Manual . See page 12 for the Multi-Selector and pages 57-58 for the AF mode and AF Area Mode. Keep in mind that in exposure modes other than P,S,A, & M the AF mode and Area mode is controled by the camera.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43632 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.