Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43880
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D60 and external flash - shutter speed query" Previous topic | Next topic
terin101 Registered since 01st Oct 2011Sat 01-Oct-11 03:38 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D60 and external flash - shutter speed query"

HK

Hi,

I have a D60 with Nissin I466 external flash. I was playing today shooting some portrait shots and had the camera in aperture priority mode set a f2.2 and i noticed that all the shots were taken at the same shutter speed of 1/60. Is the right?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 01-Oct-11 08:57 AM
26541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D60 and external flash - shutter speed query"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Likely so. The default maximum shutter speed for flash is 1/60th, so if you're in any kind of dark environment, you're almost certainly capped. You can get longer shutter speeds if you like - use S or M modes and dial them in. Or use A mode and set the flash options on the camera to slow sync.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 01-Oct-11 12:55 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D60 and external flash - shutter speed query"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Is there a reason you wanted/needed a different shutter speed? The shutter speed used (as long as it's at or below the maximum sync speed) doesn't affect a flash exposure, only the aperture does. However, depending on the amount of ambient light, slow speeds may allow enough ambient light exposure to cause "ghosting" or motion blurring of the subject. The flash burst is basically the "shutter speed" when flash is the main light source.

If you would go outside in bright light with the flash on, you would notice that the shutter speed will increase up to the maximum sync speed (1/200th, I believe, for the D60).

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SMMAssociates Registered since 28th Aug 2011Mon 10-Oct-11 11:02 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D60 and external flash - shutter speed query"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Silly question, maybe, but a conventional camera's sync speed is based on the shutter being open during the entire period that the flash is lit, more or less.

With a horizontal or vertical shutter, too fast a shutter speed results in a "stripe" of the picture, and the rest tends to be blank or very poorly exposed.

However, with a digital camera, shouldn't we just see a substantial under-exposure, if any real effect at all? "Click" or not, there's really no shutter, just a mirror flip. (Sometimes....)

Regards,

Stu.

Why just a quick note when you can write a novel?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 11-Oct-11 03:57 AM
25564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D60 and external flash - shutter speed query"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Stuart,

>Silly question, maybe, but a conventional camera's sync speed
>is based on the shutter being open during the entire period
>that the flash is lit, more or less.

Not a silly question at all.
You are correct, and the same holds true for DSLR's with a very few exceptions.

>With a horizontal or vertical shutter, too fast a shutter
>speed results in a "stripe" of the picture, and the
>rest tends to be blank or very poorly exposed.

Yes. Because the front shutter curtain is still opening when the rear shutter curtain starts closing forming a moving slit.
By the time the flash fires the rear curtain has already covered the film or sensor plane. This results in the black stripe at one side of the image or across the top or bottom depending on the shutter mechanism (horizontal or vertical).

>However, with a digital camera, shouldn't we just see a
>substantial under-exposure, if any real effect at all?
>"Click" or not, there's really no shutter, just a
>mirror flip. (Sometimes....)

While most digital P&S cameras do not have a shutter, most if not all DSLR's do have a mechanical shutter just like a film camera.
There are also a few DSLR's like the D70 series that have an electronic shutter as well as a mechanical shutter. This allows the D70 series bodies to sync at 1/500th sec.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

SMMAssociates Registered since 28th Aug 2011Tue 11-Oct-11 05:51 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D60 and external flash - shutter speed query"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Marty:

Thanks....

I never really looked in my D60 that way....

Bought it, started taking pictures, my daughter stole it, got it back, hid it....

I was about to say "what the heck does a DSLR need with a mechanical shutter at all?" when the brain re-booted....

All kinds of latency and timing issues in the sensor - a good mechanical shutter should take care of most of those, and Nikon has been building shutters for a very long time.

An electronic shutter will give you faster sync speeds, one would suppose, but it can be pretty sloppy, because the flash duration (as noted elsewhere) is going to do most of the timing work, and ambient lighting likely won't get in the way.

(I really need to play with this thing more.)

Regards,

Why just a quick note when you can write a novel?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 18-Oct-11 09:54 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D60 and external flash - shutter speed query"
In response to Reply # 5

Chicago, US

You need to read about and use the 'slow sync' and the 'rear sync' features of your camera. ambient light plays a significant role in creating the image. You might want to read 1. Nikon Flash - Two Separate Metering Systems by Russ MacDonald. Ambient lighting is always metered with the CLS system. Ambient light has always been present with any flash. Now whether that ambient light significantly affects the recorded image enough for you to see is a different issue.

Ambient light being recorded with a flash exposure is the cause of many white balance issues with flash photography. With more CFL lighting in homes, this will become a much bigger issue.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43880 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.