Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43817
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Info in my D40 viewfinder" Previous topic | Next topic
Simon in Easton Registered since 28th Jul 2011Sun 21-Aug-11 08:37 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Info in my D40 viewfinder"

UK

Hi folks,
After a half a century of eying up these lovely cameras, I have bought a second-hand D40 and I can tell you I'm delighted! But one thing is puzzling me - the strip of info visible in the viewfinder is partially obscured - I have to 'look down' at it to see the characters at full height. If I look straight through the viewfinder, as one might to compose the shot, I can only see the top half of the characters in the info strip - is this normal or has something got out of alignment??

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Mon 22-Aug-11 12:50 AM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Info in my D40 viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0

US

are you by chance wearing polarized sunglasses when this happens? The same thing happened to me this summer with both my D300 and D700, after a moment of panic i thought to take the sunglasses off and the problem went away.

Simon in Easton Registered since 28th Jul 2011Mon 22-Aug-11 08:01 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Info in my D40 viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

No, I'm not wearing any glasses at all... I do need to use glasses to see print but the dioptre adjustment in the viewfinder means I don't have to wear them when I use the camera.
Its a difficult problem to describe, but all I can say is that the pictures that show the 'info. bar' in the printed user guide show all the characters clearly & completely whereas in order to see them like that in my actual 'info bar' I have to look down at them by peering down from the top of the viewfinder - somethings not right, I'm sure!
I guess I should take it into a Nikon dealer.
Thanks for your good idea, though

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 22-Aug-11 03:20 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Info in my D40 viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

There is some viewing distance from the eye piece and the display of the image and data fills viewfinder when one's eye is properly lined up with the projected image. You may need to move you head up or down with respect to the eye piece until you can see if all. If that does not work, then the mask that projects that data is misaligned.

If you bought your camera at a local camera shop, you might go back to talk with them about this issue.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43817 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.