nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43680
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Information overload" Previous topic | Next topic
bluehawkpilot Registered since 11th May 2011Sun 15-May-11 07:35 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Information overload"

US

I need someone to cut to the chase. I have a D40, with the 55-200mm f/4-5.6VR lens. I am taking pictures of little league baseball games and have a question(s). Should I look at a 300mm lens for more zoom or just crop the pictures I take with the 200mm? and If I get a 300mm, will I still have the same problems with the pictures being blurry in the dark. it is my understanding that unless I get a 2.8 or so lens that I'll have the same problems. I read and read and can't seem to get the answer I need. I have turned the ISO up and it helped but I'm kinda overwhelmed. Also, should I look at a 70-300 zoom or a more specific telephoto type?
Thanks,

Clinton

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 15-May-11 09:49 PM
27022 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Information overload"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Clinton,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Are you shooting games in daylight, evening, or night games under the lights?
For games in daylight conditions, the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR or even the 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S will provide the additional reach you are looking for while allowing a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the movement of your subject.
For evening games or night games under the lights, your maximum shutter speed is limited by the ambient light level, the ISO capability of your camera, and the maximum aperture of your lens.
The D40 maximum ISO is Hi (ISO 3200) though ISO 1600 is significantly cleaner and all of the variable aperture zooms are f/5.6 at the long end.
If you are shooting in low light, your choices are limited to the fast zooms and primes. Unfortunatly the fast zooms and prime telephoto lenses are expensive, large and heavy.
If your budget is tight you might want to consider the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD which should be fast enough though you won't gain any range.
If you provide the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO settings of a well exposed image in low light at your field, we can extrapolate the aperature you will need to freeze the action.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Chris1232 Registered since 17th Jun 2011Fri 17-Jun-11 09:54 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Information overload"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 17-Jun-11 09:55 PM by Chris1232

US

I would recommend keeping your lens unless you easily have the money to buy a longer lens. If your lens does not have VR I strongly recommend upgrading. This could make a huge difference on shake. Keep in mind that you are shooting a DX camera so really you are getting 300mm out of that lens because of the 1.5 crop factor.

Check Out My Photography Blog!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 18-Jun-11 10:49 PM
27022 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Information overload"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Nikonians!
While VR is very useful when shooting static subjects, VR is not very useful when shooting sports because a fast shutter speed is required to freeze the movement of your subject. The exception is when using the panning technique with a slow shutter speed to accentuate the movement of your subject.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43680 Previous topic | Next topic