Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44153
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D60 New Lens Unexposed" Previous topic | Next topic
savingbirds Registered since 03rd Mar 2012Mon 12-Mar-12 02:48 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D60 New Lens Unexposed"

CA

I recently (this afternoon) bought a F80 film SLR for a photography class for school. I was also able to purchase an AF Nikkor 28-200 1:3.5-5.6D lens as well. Until I get batteries (and film for that matter), I would be testing the lens on my D60 (crop sensor 1.5x).

I normally shoot at ISO-400 in P mode and these are two pictures I took recently with the 18-55 kit lens:

http://10secondsflat.tk/photos/PT/18-55(1).JPG
(1/800 sec / f/3.5 / 18mm / ISO-400)

http://10secondsflat.tk/photos/PT/18-55(2).JPG
(1/13 sec / f/6.3 / 55mm / ISO-400)

Though not the best examples, you can see that the images are quite well-exposed.

Now these are two taken with the 28-200:

http://10secondsflat.tk/photos/PT/ISO-400.JPG
(1/60 sec / f/3.8 / 36mm / ISO-400)

http://10secondsflat.tk/photos/PT/ISO-1100.JPG
(1/30 sec - Hence slight shake / f.3.8 / 36mm / ISO-1100)

The last picture was taken with auto ISO.

I never had underexposure problems with the kit lens before. Is there something I need to change?

Note: I also have an HB-12 hood and an Opus 72mm UV filter on the lens. I tried without both, but the results were the same.

Please help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 12-Mar-12 12:55 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D60 New Lens Unexposed"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 12-Mar-12 12:55 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

The links to your first two photos don't work.

The EXIF information for the underexposed photo of the bird chart shows that you took the photo in Shutter speed priority mode. If that is the case, you selected 1/60th of a second and the camera selected the widest aperture it could (f/3.8). This combination of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO (fixed at 400) caused underexposure as the camera could not open the lens' aperture any further to get a correct exposure.

The EXIF info for the second bird chart photo says "undetermined" for the exposure mode, but apparently with auto ISO enabled, the camera was able to up the ISO to get a correct exposure.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Mon 12-Mar-12 01:31 PM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D60 New Lens Unexposed"
In response to Reply # 0

Southern CT, US

The last two images look to be taken inside with limited light and no flash was used. It may be better if you can take images with the 18-55 and then the 28-200 with the same lighting conditions and the same subject.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 12-Mar-12 02:19 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D60 New Lens Unexposed"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Songyi,

Alan nailed the answer to your question.
There is about a 2 1/3 rd stop difference between #3 and #4 which confirms the shutter speed that you chose was too fast for the limits imposed by the maximum aperture of your lens and the ISO setting. I suspect that "Lo" was shown in the viewfinder display before you released the shutter.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

savingbirds Registered since 03rd Mar 2012Mon 12-Mar-12 02:36 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D60 New Lens Unexposed"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Thanks. That should be the problem. The lighting was not the greatest. Try copying the entire line for the first two photos.
Thanks again!

savingbirds Registered since 03rd Mar 2012Mon 12-Mar-12 02:37 PM
#5. "RE: D60 New Lens Unexposed"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Always a great help. Thanks!
I see the problem was probably with the shutter speed. 1/60 may be a bit too fast with indoor lighting.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 12-Mar-12 03:19 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D60 New Lens Unexposed"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Songyi,

Not if you turn up the ISO or shoot a faster lens wide open.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44153 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.