Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43905
View in threaded mode

Subject: "DIGITAL vs FILM" Previous topic | Next topic
OliverR Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2011Fri 21-Oct-11 03:48 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DIGITAL vs FILM"

Green Bay, US

Back into the film era, I used CANON & lenses compatible with. I have a VIVITAR 72mm, 35-105mm 1:3.5 auto zoom, SUPER ALBINAR MC 55mm, f=80-200mm 1:4.5 auto zoom and CANON speedlite 199A flash. Can someone tell me if is possible to use this accesories in my NIKON D40X?
Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions.
BTW this lenses are very old, but in perfect condition.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 21-Oct-11 05:49 AM
18362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Welcome to Nikonians

The lenses, unless they are F-mount lenses will not mate with a Nikon body. If I recall correctly, the D40X will not meter with non-AF lenses. The correct lenses for use on that camera are AF-S, DX lenses which have the motor built into the lens. Regular helicoil (screw drive) lenses will not AF but will meter on that body.

I would also be hesitant to use that Canon flash, you will not get TTL metering; the D40X uses D-TTL, the precursor to I-TTL flash metering. It may work in manual mode. Depending on how much voltage is used, it may fry your DSLR. Better to stick with an SB-28DX or SB-80DX speedlight (flash).

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

OliverR Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2011Fri 21-Oct-11 11:15 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 1

Green Bay, US

Hello, Anthony...thank you for your advice, do you know if it is possible to get a ring adapter to use my lenses manually?
Again, thanks for your recommendations.
OR.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 22-Oct-11 12:41 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

There are adapters which enable the use of Nikon lenses on Canon cameras but not the other way around due to certain body dimensions. In all honesty, I don't think the lenses you listed are worth bothering with. There are several inexpensive Nikon lenses like the 18-55mm and 55-200mm which are fully compatible with the D40X and are very good performers, too.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OliverR Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2011Sat 22-Oct-11 04:50 PM
#4. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 3

Green Bay, US

Hi Alan,
Do you think that those lenses and flash have any market value?

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 22-Oct-11 05:11 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 22-Oct-11 05:12 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

They probably have very little value. Canon completely changed its lens mount system years ago, so these lenses may only fit on old Canon film cameras. What film bodies did you use them on?

Alan

OliverR Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2011Sun 23-Oct-11 06:30 PM
#6. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 5

Green Bay, US

I used this lenses on a CANON A-1, still have the camera but I think that is broken.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 23-Oct-11 06:41 PM
#7. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 6

Nevis, US

Those lenses would not work at all on any later model Canon film cameras or digital.

Alan

OliverR Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2011Sun 23-Oct-11 08:51 PM
#8. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 7

Green Bay, US

Hi Alan, guess I'm going to trash them, it's sad because they are in very good condition, thank you very much for your comments.
Talking about the flash, do you think that it could be possible to use it like slave flash with....I don't know some kind of wiring no connecting directly into my D40X?

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 25-Oct-11 01:39 PM
#9. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 8

Nevis, US

You can get small slave units that fit on the flash's shoe that will fire the flash when another flash fires. This is a small, inexpensive slave:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/774432-REG/Dot_Line_DL_0129_Slave_Flash_Unit_with.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Alan

CrystalPistol Registered since 30th Oct 2011Sun 30-Oct-11 07:27 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 6

The Shenandoah Valley, US

I've been looking at same issue.

There are adapters which have a correction lense in them that will allow Canon FD lenses to be used on Nikon DSLRs, but you have to shoot manual aperture priority and manual focus.

There are even some site on the net, some videos showing results.

About $30, I'm going to get me at least one.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 31-Oct-11 07:30 AM
26574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: DIGITAL vs FILM"
In response to Reply # 10

Richmond, US

Unless you have some high-end Canon FD glass, it's not worth the trouble.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43905 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.