nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #694
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What is the Best lens for D50 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
vsrinu30 Registered since 26th Nov 2005Sat 26-Nov-05 04:24 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What is the Best lens for D50 ?"

After reading lots of reviews about the entry level DSLR's, initially I have decided to go with KM 5D because of its Anti-shake. But after comparing the image quality and the ease of use then I have decided to go with Nikon D50 because of its Sharp photos and low Noise levels when compared to its competitors.

I am buying this camera for general purpose shooting like Family photos, portraits (blurred background), Birds, Nature, flowers and wildlife and looking for a All-in-one lens so that there should be no need to change & carry lenses also expecting respectable image quality.

My maximum budget is between $ 300-400 USD and I understand that I can't get the image quality of prime lenses, but want to get at least minimum respectable image quality with No focus errors and want to make best possible choice. After reading many lens reviews Following were my considerations.

1. 2 Kit Lenses (18-55mm, 55-200mm)
{low price but have to keep changing lenses}

2. Tamron (28-300mm)
{This is the range I need but has Mixed reviews, but does this lens give respectable picture quality and sharpness?}

3. D50 Kit lens (18-55mm) + Nikon 70-300mm
{Need to change lenses, but 70-300mm has got mixed reviews & does it deliver sharp images at 300mm ?}

4. D70 Kit lens (18-70mm) + Nikon 70-300mm
{Need to change lenses, but 70-300mm has got mixed reviews & does it deliver sharp images at 300mm ?, D70 kits lens little over my budget}

5. Nikon (28-200mm)
{Better reviews, No need to change lenses, want to go with this lens, looking around if there is any other better lens to be considered than this lens}

6. Nikon 18-200mm VR
{Yet to be released, good expectations, need to see the performance, but $350 over my budget}

I welcome all your suggestions and would like to know if there are any other better lenses to consider. I would appreciate if some one can send me some pictures from Nikon 20-200mm lens to vsrinu30 @ yahoo.com would like to check the image quality in full size.

Is it safe to use real cheap china made third party flashes with D50. I have used this flash with Nikon FM 10 (Full Manual) Camera and had no problems. Is there any thing which I need to consider before using such flashes, because I don't want to spoil my camera.

Thanks to every one in advance.
vsrinu.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 26-Nov-05 04:55 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

I do not think you can get what you want in one lens and/or with your budget.

The 18-70 is a great lens to start with and I would add lens as your budget allows.

The 55-200 is a slow focusing lens which does not lend itself to action otherwise it is very nice.

ledmun

bernie76 Basic MemberSat 26-Nov-05 05:07 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

One of the reason's you get into SLR photography is to have the choice of using different lens for different situations. This is no such thing as an "all in one lens" .

You do not need to purchase everything at once. Start with one lens, see what your interests and needs are, then add to collection as time goes on.

Probably the best place to start is the 18-70 lens. It is a very good general purpose lens. Save your telephoto purchase for later and spend the money now on a SB 600 speedlight.

I have the 70-300 and it is not a bad lens, just not very fast. Look at my gallery. The picture of the grasshopper and the dragonfly where taken with this lens. The dragonfly sho twas hand held, the grasshopper shot was on a tripod.

http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=73800

God luck,

Scott

Scott

Some people are like slinky toys, not
really good for anything, but still bring
a smile to your face when you push
them down a flight of stairs....

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 26-Nov-05 06:18 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Regina, CA

I get the 70-300mm too, is not a low light lens, but works well in sunny days! Is fun taking casual shoot in the park! Is good lens for the money, just don't try using it indoor unless you got a SB800...

Check out this shoot with the 70-300
http://users.accesscomm.ca/mm/regina.jpg

With 300mm->450mm, you can take picture of cuttie quite a distant away! She even post a smile for me!
http://users.accesscomm.ca/mm/DSC_0031e2.jpg

Close distant shoot, using my friend 70-300mm ED version. Not worth the extra money IMO.
http://users.accesscomm.ca/mm/bride.jpg

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

SVA Registered since 27th Jun 2004Mon 28-Nov-05 01:10 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Consider Sigma 18-200. Among lenses listed by you, only Nikkor 18-70 performs better (not speaking about Nikkor 18-200 - it's ouside your price range and I have not tested it yet).

Vladimir
Russian Nikonian in Switzerland

Hamslay Registered since 01st Nov 2005Mon 28-Nov-05 02:01 PM
115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

I had the same question when I bought my D50 in August, and spent days and days going over the lens options. There are 2 bits of advice based on my experience.

Firstly, I went for the Sigma 18-125. It's both wide enough and long enough to cover most situations while you learn the camera. A lot of reviews say it's a lot better than the 18-200. In general I'm very pleased with mine.

Secondly, whatever you get, you'll beg, borrow or steal more lenses within weeks anyway!!! I thought the 18-125 would do me for most things. Within 2 weeks I "needed" the Sigma 70-300 APO DG (another very good budget lens). A month or so later, I decided 300mm wasn't quite enough and bought an 80-400 OS (which I am finally paying off this month!). After that came the 10-20, and last week I "needed" a low-light/portrait lens, so I got a Nikon 50mm 1.8. I am actually applying for a new credit card so I can get a 24-60 and 70-200 by easter!!

So I say get the 18-125, and then add to it. Over and over again!

davidvoo Registered since 28th Nov 2005Mon 28-Nov-05 02:24 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

The lens kit of 18-35mm not bad. Here are some of my recent shots:

http://static.flickr.com/35/67358603_54026573b7.jpg?v=0

* using slow flash with anti-red eye

http://static.flickr.com/32/67000055_509d67f24d.jpg?v=0"

* auto mode without flash

I just got my D50 last friday, pretty cool so far. but as a beginner of me, I still can see difference compared with compact digicam.

35mpm Basic MemberTue 29-Nov-05 09:59 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I will also be receiving the D50 soon(Christmas), and have given some consideration towards the purchase of a new lens. The new 18-200 seems like a very nice do everything lens for travel but I think I am leaning towards using my 28-70 so that I can get the sb 800 to use with this camera. The 18-200 would also make a nice light package for travel.

I love my husband's d70 and am looking forward to getting this camera. Good luck with your new purchase.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 29-Nov-05 11:44 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

FI

I have ordered the Nikon 18-200 but if lens get bad reviews i will cancel the order.
Hopefully Nikon manages to optically exeed the results of Sigma 18-200.

davidvoo Registered since 28th Nov 2005Wed 30-Nov-05 02:09 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 8

Hello, may I ask what is the aperture range of the Sigma 18-200 and Nikkor 18-200 new lens?

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Nov-05 03:03 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 9

FI

Nikon: 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
Sigma: 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3
So Nikon is bit brighter in the long end.

Both lenses have Internal Focusing and are equipped with abberation correction lenses.
But Nikon has more to offer as the lens incorporates:
AF-S -for fast and silent autofocus
VR II -image stabilisation system

davidvoo Registered since 28th Nov 2005Wed 30-Nov-05 03:09 PM
#11. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 10

ok, any ideas how much both lens will cost? Me thinking to have one of these zoom lens despite the kit lens.

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Nov-05 04:09 PM
#12. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 11

FI

Nikon is below 700$ ($670 cheapest?)
Sigma is around 400$ ($399 cheapest?)
Hopefully the price difference shows up in the optical quality.

davidvoo Registered since 28th Nov 2005Thu 01-Dec-05 01:52 AM
#13. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 12

Wow... double of the price.

davidvoo Registered since 28th Nov 2005Wed 30-Nov-05 02:08 AM
#14. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Thank you. I also wish I could affort D70s, the supply for this model is shortage in my country here, people jacks up the price very much.

Macnut Registered since 20th Dec 2005Fri 23-Dec-05 12:37 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

I've heard negative reports about SIGMA lenses but surely, they can't all be universally undesirable. Is it possible their relatively low price contribute unfairly to their low esteem? To the point: Adorama lists the SIGMA 18-125mm F/3.5 AF (for Nikon SLRs) at $259, including a 4-yr warranty. I'd like to have it for my D-50 but am somewhat wary. Has anyone here had experience with this lens? Thanks for your advice.

PHC

John317 Registered since 13th Dec 2005Fri 23-Dec-05 07:48 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 15

Redding, US

I got this lens with my D50 and have used it so far to produce some very nice Christmas portraits. They look as clear, bright and sharp as any other image I've seen so far. It is very fast to focus.

John317
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are

Nomadic Registered since 23rd Dec 2005Fri 23-Dec-05 09:38 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 16

Seoul,

hello,
I am in a similar boat; I just recently bought my D50 (my first digital SLR) along with the kit lens. Now I'm looking to upgrade my lens. I'm looking for something with more zoom, but I am on something of a budget. The question I have is whether there is a significant difference between the nikon 18-200 and the sigma 18-200? I mean is the quality of the shot reflected in the rather large difference in price between the two lenses? If anyone has some personal experience with these lenses I would love to hear a definitive answer.

Thank-you in andvance.

vsrinu30 Registered since 26th Nov 2005Fri 23-Dec-05 07:02 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 17

Nomadic,

I think there is major difference between Sigma & Nikon 18-200mm lenses other than price difference. Nikon has VR (vibration reduction), AF-S (silent motor), instant manual and auto-focus over ride which means No need to toggle the switch back and forth between manual and auto focus. Looks like Nikon is far superior you can read the review about it.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

Nomadic Registered since 23rd Dec 2005Sat 24-Dec-05 01:21 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 18

Seoul,

vsrinu30,

Thanks for the review.... yes it does look very impressive. I just made my choice.

kodak_jack Registered since 15th Dec 2005Fri 23-Dec-05 12:06 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hilton (Rochester), US

From the reading I did ahead of time, I bought mine with the 28-80 lens. I wish it was a little wider. I shot with an Olympus OM-1 for 30 years and had the Tamron 28-70 and 80-210. When it was new, I'd find things that the long lens was useful for. After a while, it wasn't used anymore.

Carmay Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sun 25-Dec-05 07:39 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 20

Bellingham, US

I have the 70-300mm along with the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G. Between the two I have been able to capture whatever I want. I'd like to add a wider angle lens at some point, but for now these two are superb.

My Nikonians Gallery

beavo451 Registered since 25th Dec 2005Sun 25-Dec-05 10:21 PM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: What is the Best lens for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richardson, US

I would get the 18-70mm lens (D70 kit lens) and save up for a telephoto later. Having and being able to work with the limitations of your equipment will improve your skill as a photographer. The 18-70mm is probably the best value for your moeny. It is also reportedly one of the sharpest mid-range zoom lens. Then I would get an 80-200 f/2.8 lens down the road. The 18-200 VR is a good lens, but I would not want to spend a lot of time correcting distortion in post processing.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #694 Previous topic | Next topic