Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44343
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D50 No power" Previous topic | Next topic
nakedlunch02 Registered since 01st Jun 2012Sat 23-Jun-12 12:58 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 No power"
Sat 23-Jun-12 12:58 AM by nakedlunch02

US

Hey all, I purchased a used D50 was told it was working when stored. Long story short I tried charging the battery, purchased 3 new batteries, tried to reset camera, cleaned battery contacts also. If anyone has run into this and has a fix, please let me know, or point me in the right direction. I am obviously trying to avoid sending it back to Nikon. Thanks in Advance

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 23-Jun-12 05:00 AM
26714 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D50 No power"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Sounds like your first thing is to discuss with the seller. A trip to Nikon is highly likely to cost as much as, or more than another D50.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 23-Jun-12 01:57 PM
26086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 No power"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mark,

The seller should have tested the camera before they sold it to you.
It sounds like you have already tried all of the usual fixes.
When you reset the camera did you use the reset button on the bottom of the body?
If so, return the camera to the seller.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

nakedlunch02 Registered since 01st Jun 2012Sat 23-Jun-12 05:27 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 No power"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Sorry, I failed to mention The no power issue was already known before purchase, I only paid $40. From what I have seen on google, this no power issue seems to be a common issue with the D series, but no one has posted a "fix" or what the actual problem is yet. Thanks for your replies.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 23-Jun-12 05:49 PM
51167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 No power"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Remove the batteries from the camera and clean the metal battery contacts inside of the battery compartment and on the battery with a q-tip and alcohol. The connection is very critical and a very small amount of residue or dust can inhibit the power transfer.

Also, check how well the battery door shuts and if necessary adjust the metal contacts by gently prying them with a small screw driver to increase the tension.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 23-Jun-12 05:51 PM
26086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 No power"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Mark,

Electronic components while extremely reliable can fail at any time for any reason.
There is an internal problem with the camera.
It could be anything from a loose electrical connector to a failed circuit board or boards.
While camera malfunctions are not common, the Internet makes it appear that way.
For every camera that fails there are hundreds if not thousands that continue to work perfectly that are never mentioned on the Internet.
If you want the camera fixed, send it to a Nikon Authorized Repair Station or Nikon Service and they will diagnose the problem and provide an estimate for the cost of the repair. You can then decide if the camera is worth getting repaired or if it would be cheaper to replace.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

nakedlunch02 Registered since 01st Jun 2012Sat 23-Jun-12 05:51 PM
#6. "RE: D50 No power"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Already tried cleaning the contacts as stated in original post, and the reset button on the bottom of the camera,as well as the 2 green reset buttons. Thanks for your reply

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 23-Jun-12 05:58 PM
51167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D50 No power"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 23-Jun-12 05:59 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

What about adjusting the metal contacts by gently prying them with a small screw driver to increase the tension ?

Eala Freya Fresena

nakedlunch02 Registered since 01st Jun 2012Sat 23-Jun-12 07:57 PM
#8. "RE: D50 No power"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Yes, I've tried that too, I can see on the brand new batteries the scuff marks where the contacts are touching.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 24-Jun-12 11:53 AM
#9. "RE: D50 No power"
In response to Reply # 8

East Frisia, DE

Then I see no other way as to send it to a Nikon Authorized Repair Station or Nikon Service.

Eala Freya Fresena

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44343 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.