Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44213
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D50 won't detect battery and SD card" Previous topic | Next topic
CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Tue 24-Apr-12 04:20 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 won't detect battery and SD card"
Tue 24-Apr-12 11:22 AM by CharlieChan

US

I have a D50 that won't read any of my three SD cards, all smaller than 2GB. The green light doesn't even light up when a card is inserted. The viewfinder indicates that no SD card is in place, even though one is inserted while control panel on top does not show -E-. Camera does turn on, can meter and autofocus with a lens mounted, top LCD panel shows all info however the battery indicator on the top flashes indicating that a battery is not inserted, even though it's fully charged and inserted properly into the battery compartment. Also, the color LCD monitor on the back does not come on at all, no matter what button is pushed.

I reset the camera but it does not change anything except that "CLOCK" now flashing on top LCD requiring setting of Date/time, which cannot be done since monitor on the back remains dark.

Anyone experienced this problem? Is there anything I can do, or does this need to be sent in for repairs? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 24-Apr-12 04:37 PM
25592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 won't detect battery and SD card"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Thanks for the intro.
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Did you reset the camera via the two button reset or using a paper clip to press the reset button on the bottom of the camera?

If you used the reset button on the bottom of the camera, remove the battery, turn the camera body On and let it sit for 24 hours. Then turn it Off and insert the battery. Press the reset button again.
If the problem continues, send the camera in for service.

BTW:

We always encourage our members to fill in their real first and last names and have made that issue a part of our Terms of Use.

The intent is to foster a community of "real people" instead of mysterious web-personalities with anonymous screen names.

Doing this helps to establish and maintain a safe, civil and friendly environment.

Thanks in advance.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Tue 24-Apr-12 04:57 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 won't detect battery and SD card"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you, I did reset the camera by pressing the reset button on the bottom cover but did not wait for 24h as you recommended. I'm going to give it a try and will report back.

Thanks again,
Charlie

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Thu 26-Apr-12 03:43 AM
#3. "RE: D50 won't detect battery and SD card"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 26-Apr-12 03:49 AM by CharlieChan

US

Hi Marty,

I proceeded like you said and it works again but only after I used 3 CR2 in a battery holder, maybe the 9V power was strong enough to reset the camera; after that it also works with regular 7.4V battery. Thanks a lot, great advice.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 26-Apr-12 04:14 PM
25592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 won't detect battery and SD card"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Charlie,

Glad to hear your camera is up and running again.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

petie3 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Sun 22-Jul-12 05:00 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 won't detect battery and SD card"
In response to Reply # 4

US

My D50 I bought used/parts only has exactly the same symptoms. Powers up, LCD screen dark, shutter won't work, 2-button reset functions but no improvement in symptoms, bottom reset ditto. Batt and clock flashing on top screen. Will try the 24hr maneuver and keep you posted. Let me know any further developments as this seems to be not an isolated case.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

petie3 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 05:55 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 won't detect battery and SD card"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks for solving a difficult problem, the flashing 'clock' and 'batt' signs on an inoperable camera. Problem with the three battery solution is getting a battery grip for a D50; I looked for 3 years and finally found one from ENGLAND on Ebay. It takes the 3x3volt via an adaptor or the usual two standard ones. The D70 grip does not work.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44213 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.