Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26084
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Cannot Make a Poster" Previous topic | Next topic
mdholland Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2008Sun 24-Feb-08 02:17 AM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cannot Make a Poster"

Phoenix, US

I have a cropped image of my son playing lacrosse and would like to make it into a poster. The websites that upload images and create posters state that my image is too small, being less than one kilobyte. Is there anyway that I can create a poster from a cropped image?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Sun 24-Feb-08 03:42 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cannot Make a Poster"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

Are you sure the file is less than 1 Kb? That's almost microscopic. What was the size of the original file before cropping or any other post processing?

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, D40, N90s and some glass

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sun 24-Feb-08 04:55 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Cannot Make a Poster"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 24-Feb-08 04:58 AM by MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US

>Are you sure the file is less than 1 Kb? That's almost
>microscopic.

+1

Image posting size restriction on Nikonians is 150K and you wouldn't be able to make a poster out of that either. I think the smileys here are >1K

If you're into reading, you can start to research upsizing your pictures here:
http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/interpolation/interpolation.htm

Even if the 1K is a mistake, it's unlikely you'll get a poster size print from a cropped image. You'll need to get closer and/or use a longer lens.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

mdholland Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2008Sun 24-Feb-08 10:01 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cannot Make a Poster"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Thank you all very much. Your comments are very helpful.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 25-Feb-08 03:46 AM
26579 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Cannot Make a Poster"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You can create a poster (ie a large print) from a cropped image, but there are definitely limits. For example, I was quite surprised to discover that I could make a quality 16x20 from a slightly cropped D2h (4mp) image. So far nobody has even looked twice. I was also surprised to make a decent+ 13x19 print from a 2.8mp crop of a D2h image. However, if you really do have a 1KB crop, that's incredibly small.

In fact, 1KB is so small that I suspect that you didn't actually submit the file itself, but more likely you only got the name of the file submitted! A 1KB TIFF file would be only a total of 300 pixels, or about 10x30. A JPEG is much more dense, but for the sake of argument, it's still going to be less than 50x30. For reference, the Nikonians logo in the upper left of this page is 243x100 and almost 8KB, and the D40 produces a native image 3000x2000 or thereabouts.

How big is your image?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 25-Feb-08 03:47 AM
26579 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Cannot Make a Poster"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Larry, your smiley is only 166 bytes (And there's almost a half a KB worth of them!)

_____

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 25-Feb-08 05:15 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Cannot Make a Poster"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 25-Feb-08 05:16 AM by MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US

>Larry, your smiley is only 166 bytes (And there's
>almost a half a KB worth of them!)

LOL I know I put the smiley in the post just to make it easy to check the size. When I saw how badly I miscalculated I decided to leave the post as is because for some reason the idea of printing a poster-sized smiley appealed to me

I've printed a D50 image (6.1MP) at 44"x32" on canvas which slightly gives it the look of a painting and helps hide the resolution limitation. The only crop was to that aspect ratio and a few inches on each side to wrap the canvas. From a foot away it's not great but at its intended viewing distance (4'-8') it's fantastic.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

mdholland Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2008Mon 25-Feb-08 08:36 PM
#7. "RE: Cannot Make a Poster"
In response to Reply # 4

Phoenix, US

The width is 638 pixels, height is 998 pixels, resolution is 300 ppi.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 25-Feb-08 11:49 PM
#8. "RE: Cannot Make a Poster"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond, US

Therefore you have about a 0.6mp image, which is about a 1.8MB TIFF file, or something approaching 400K in JPEG. This tells us several things:

- you didn't get the real file uploaded, else it wouldn't have said <1KB.
- it really isn't that big, but with judicious upsizing in Photoshop or similar, you can probably make a decent 8x10, but quite likely you will be disappointed with a print much larger than that.
- If this is a common situation, you probably need a longer lens.

_____

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26084 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.