Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25291
View in threaded mode

Subject: "New Nikon D60" Previous topic | Next topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 17-May-08 06:53 PM
34459 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New Nikon D60"
Wed 30-Jan-08 09:18 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Our friends at LetsGoDigital have already published a ...

Nikon D60 Review

A Nikon D60 Photo Gallery

And Nikon D60 Specs

Also, there new Nikon SLR Lenses:

PC-E Nikkor 24mm Tilt/Shift

AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm VR Nikkor

and a AF-S 60mm Micro Nikkor

And here you can find a graphical explanation by Nikon of some new features on the D60

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 09:13 AM
1959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

NL

And the point of this new camera would be ...

eh

WHAT, exactly???

-- LaDonna

gerikson Registered since 09th Jul 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 09:45 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 1

SE

It's basically the D40X with some enhancements.

The entry-level DSLR market is cut-throat, you have to introduce new models at a rapid clip.

I'm interested in this throwaway comment on DPReview's preview <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012911nikond601st.asp>;:

"It also adds a digital rangefinder that indicates subject distance when manually focusing lenses."

Is this different from the focus confirmation LED in the viewfinder?

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 10:27 AM
1959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 2

NL

I didn't buy a D40x to make Chicken-run style video clips. The rest of the "enhancements" are Greek to me. Actually, worse, since as a math teacher I can at least say my ABC's in Greek. Not with the D60 specs or review. Not having ever seen a D300 in real life, much less used one, maybe I'm just too ignorant to know what these "enhancements" could do for me. What I'd really like a D300 for is much faster continuous shooting (D60 doesn't have), awesome noise-at-high-ISO performance (D60 doesn't seem to have, or did I miss something?), and, well, yeah, faster pics (for sports) and better low-light pics (for sports in dark gyms).

The review says that the D60 takes its sensor from the D80. But isn't this the same sensor on the D40x?

Again,

am I missing something here????

drichi Basic MemberTue 29-Jan-08 11:47 AM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 29-Jan-08 11:54 AM by drichi

GW

The point would be to sell them to people who want even smaller dSLRs than the D40 for one . It was just announced today in Japan as well, and will go for ¥75,000 (about $700) for the body and ¥89,000 (or less) for the body and 18-55 VR lens. For those who liked the D40 and would like one even smaller---my wife and at least one of her friends are two such people. It will be plenty of camera for many and all that they need, especially with it's advancements over the D40/40x.

I will bet that it will be very popular among those who would ask about the D3/D300: And what exactly would the point of this new, heavy, over-priced camera be? It's just a camera!

**Never fall in love with anything that can't love you back.**

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 29-Jan-08 12:12 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 3

AW

>am I missing something here????

I would not run out and replace the D40x for a D60. The new kit lens with VR and what I suspect to be even more sophisticated high ISO noise reduction, (EXPEED processing) simply keep the D60 and Nikon in a very competitive game on the entry level cameras.

""

drichi Basic MemberTue 29-Jan-08 12:56 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 29-Jan-08 01:07 PM by drichi

GW

Yes that seems to be the purpose---mostly entry level buyers. It does have some "improvements" over the D40x such as those mentioned and, according to some Japanese reports (from Nikon new releases, I am sure) it has the same D-Lighting options as the D3/D300, sensor cleaning, and most importantly, it has "color variation" available on the top LCD, so that one can choose his/her own color scheme. Now that could be a reason to upgrade.

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 01:27 PM
#7. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 4

NL

>The point would be to sell them to people who want even
>smaller dSLRs than the D40 for one .

I read the same thing yesterday, or, once I re-read the press release, I should say that I misread the same thing yesterday. The full sentence is not
"the D60 ... Nikon's smallest DSLR ever ..."

Rather, if you take a look at the specs ...

D40: 126 x 94 x 64 mm, and 475g (without battery or memory card).

D40x: 126 x 94 x 64 mm, and 495g.

And the D60 is ...

yup, you got it ...

126 x 94 x 64 mm, and 495g.

Then when you re-read the press release you realize that it actually says is
"the D60 ... shares a form factor similar to the D40 – Nikon’s smallest D-SLR camera ever."

The D40 is Nikon's smallest DSLR. The D60 shares its chassis, or whatever you call it when it's a camera. (What DO you call it, anyway?)

Anyway, don't have your wife trade in a D40 for a D60 on account of size ...

>
>I will bet that it will be very popular among those who would
>ask about the D3/D300: And what exactly would the point of
>this new, heavy, over-priced camera be? It's just a camera!

>
>

Er, I'd answer, well, a picture is worth a thousand words, eh?

take a look at some of these, in particular the ones shot at ISO 6400 and ISO 12,800.

http://www.daveblackphotography.com/workshop/11-2007.htm

or these

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3/example-images.htm

Now THAT's something I'd pay a heap of money for, if I had a heap of money that is.

And some photography skills.

and maybe a couple of those power-lenses ...

not to mention the photography skills ...

--LaDonna, lusting after expensive cameras, and still confused about the socially redeeming value of the D60 ...

-- LaDonna

Simon1 Registered since 12th Jan 2008Tue 29-Jan-08 02:24 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 2

It seems the rangefinder looks like this:
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/d60/easy/index.htm#easy05

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 29-Jan-08 02:45 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 6

AW

>it has the same D-Lighting

D-lighting is a very nice feature IMHO. Nikon offers it for older cameras via Capture NX. Also NX offers a very effective high ISO noise reduction software engine, (I use it more than Noise Ninja these days).

""

etherknot Registered since 14th Nov 2005Tue 29-Jan-08 03:34 PM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 8

Edmonton, CA

Wow that's a nice heads up (pun optional) for any of us who have an different rangefinder that shows exposure detail not focus detail. :-o

gerikson Registered since 09th Jul 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 04:20 PM
#11. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 8

SE

Thanks for the info.

Looks like a useful feature, easier to see than the focus confirmation dot at least.

A pity that the exposure meter is re-used though

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 06:18 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 9

Phoenix, US

David,

I agree that D-lighting is valuable in post processing, but Active D-lighting seems to be an order of magnitude more effective as it appears to me that it adjusts the EV on the fly for different regions of the sensor while shooting. Is this how it works on the D300, too?

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 07:29 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 7

Bogor, ID

"lusting after expensive cameras, and still confused about the socially redeeming value of the D60 ..."

LaDonna

Your post has me chuckling

It does seem to me to be a minor upgrade - I don't know when the last time was that Nikon changed model numbers without improving shooting speed, external body construction cleaning or sensor (assuming its the d40X sensor). Perhaps the focussing and metering have been seriously improved? Time will tell...

I would be surprised if the team who just released the new Canon 450D (wide lens compatability, 3.5 fps, CMOS sensor, live view) were quaking in their boots... I think we can expect a D65 within the year!

With this minor upgrade and the likelihood of a far more advanced D90 it is a shame that the auto-focus functions with such a few lenses. I will find it hard to recommend a D60 to friends and family for that reason - if you want entry level maybe go D40 which is cheaper so you will lose less when you upgrade. Moreover I suspect/guess that the D40 may still have better low light performance than the D60..

The most exciting news for the D40/40x owners will have been the new 16-85mm lens which sounds as if it may be a wonderful mid range zoom... A more exciting and longer lasting upgrade IMVHO... though one which is too late for you as your glass collection already looks stellar!

Cheers

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/william.symonds

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 29-Jan-08 07:56 PM
28852 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, GB

>I would be surprised if the team who just released the new
>Canon 450D (wide lens compatability, 3.5 fps, CMOS sensor,
>live view) were quaking in their boots.

But the 450D seems to compete more with the D80 than the D40X or this new D60, in both price and market positioning. Let's wait for a D80 replacement and then see how Canon like it...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 08:09 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue 29-Jan-08 08:18 PM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

Brian

Fair call - Amazon (US) have the D80 cheaper than the 450D/XSi - both bodies go at around $800.

Also I think Canon have not so much VR/IS in their consumer lenses as Nikon now have..

Amazingly the D40 with kit lens can be had for $450 (D40X kit is $520, XTi kit is $580). It's still a great little camera - if only it would AF with primes!

Looking forward to Saturday - Swing low sweet chariot!

Cheers

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 29-Jan-08 09:21 PM
28852 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 15

Paignton, GB

>Looking forward to Saturday - Swing low sweet chariot!

Me too - Cymru am Byth

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 10:40 PM
#17. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 16

Bogor, ID

There is no competition when it comes to the quality of the song .

Cheers

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com

fischerms Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 11:51 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Orchard, US

A couple words for the D60 - "So what"

From what I have read the D60 really gives me nothing over my D50/D80 bodies. Maybe a few "for the marketing department" features and that is about it. The D40/D40x/D60 bodies are way too small for my hand (and I don't have large hands.) Now is you put the D300 CCD & hi-res rear lcd in a D80 chassis with live view and the AI ring for older AI lenses then you are talking.

justinngo Registered since 23rd Jan 2008Wed 30-Jan-08 12:23 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 18

US

After reading D60 specs, I feel I'm not interesting about it. It's not much different from my D40x except dust reduction buil-in.If it cost US $700 for the body, I would spend for the D80 instead.
I think Nikon doese not want 2 D40 series existing on their market,confusing, so they want to eliminate one, which probaly D40x, and replace by this high price D60.

nosingchum Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2005Wed 30-Jan-08 01:48 AM
405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 30-Jan-08 01:49 AM by nosingchum

Richmond, CA

I'm surprised at the responses I've read here about the D60. While I understand that the D60 is a feature "let down" compared with the Canon 450D, I don't think Nikon is marketing it as a direct competitor to it. The D60 slots itself right below the 450D in terms of price and feature. IMO, that's no problem in itself provided there is a model that slots itself between the 450D and 40D (think D80 replacement).

Missing AF motor? For the target market, I don't think it's a big deal - it never stopped the D40/D40x from selling like hot cakes.

The budget SLR market is changing into one that looks more like the P&S market, with more frequent updates. It looks like this iteration Nikon focused on usability and image quality for the D60, rather than features.

What did I not like about the D60? First, given the incremental compared to the D40x, they should have called it D40xs or D45. But the biggest omission is the lack of live view or a high-res LCD monitor, which would have been the D60's "coup de grace". Nikon is saving that for the D80 follow-up

Simon

A Richmond, B.C. Nikonian
- FM2n, F100, D300, D800

nosingchum Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2005Wed 30-Jan-08 02:04 AM
405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "New Lenses"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 30-Jan-08 05:07 AM by nosingchum

Richmond, CA

My thoughts on the new lenses introduced.

** PC shift/tilt lenses **
- Great update and addition to the line up. Only FX, though, if you can afford them you ought to be able to afford a D3, too

** AF-S 60 Micro Nikkor **
- An interesting prime lens. I suspect more DX owners will get this lense for its (near) portrait focal length (90mm equiv.) than for the macro capabilities. I'm surprised they made this a Micro Nikkor instead of a dedicated fast aperture portrait lens. Downside: Where's the VR?
- I would have introduced an 55mm f1.8 AF-S lens instead and leave the VR + macro stuff to the capable 105VR

** AF-S 16-85 VR **
- Finally, a zoom that starts at 16mm! Let's hope the distortion isn't as bad as the 18-135.
- MTF graphs indicate a pretty strong performance in contrast and center resolution.
- Despite the slamming this lens receives over it's slow 5.6 max aperture, I think this lens will be a capable performer and a terrific lightweight, travel lens. I may just get one for that said purpose.
- Downside: Price seems a bit steep.

** Missing lenses **
- I would have liked to see two more primes:
1. A wide-angle DX prime, say 16mm f2.8.
2. A 55mm f1.8 AF-S prime. But in light of the 60mm AF-S micro, we may never see this.

cheers,
Simon

- FM2n, F100, D300, D800

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Wed 30-Jan-08 02:31 AM
#22. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 30-Jan-08 03:06 AM by Cookies35

NL

> most
>importantly, it has "color variation" available on
>the top LCD, so that one can choose his/her own color scheme.

Top LCD? The D60 has a TOP LCD? As in, TWO LCDs? Now that WOULD be a reason to buy the camera!!!

Also, has anybody been able to track down whether the D60 will take pictures in NEF + JPEG(fine) mode? The specs are really vague, and the D40x only takes in NEF + JPEG(basic).

-- LaDonna

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Wed 30-Jan-08 03:00 AM
#23. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 20

NL

>What did I not like about the D60? First, given the
>incremental compared to the D40x, they should have called it
>D40xs or D45.

You took the words right out of my (typing) fingers, Simon! I figured it out last night (yes, I was up still bothered about this last night; yes, I need to get a life): THIS is actually the D40x. When you think about it, the D40x is a nominal imposter. What, they add a few MP and suddenly a camera gets a suffix? Goodness gracious, if that were the cast, the D1H and the D2H (not to mention the D2Hs) got robbed.

Basically, it seems like this here is the D40x. Except that the consumer public were too shocked (the professional reviewers were so excited about the fact that Nikon didn't go along with the MP-arms-race when it introduced the so-called D40x, but the general public still wanted its megapixels) ... so, to avoid losing hoards to Canon, Nikon must have said

But wait! We've already got 10 MP on a sensor to fit into the D40 body, and we're planning to introduce it in, oh, ten months! If the purchasing hoards can't, or won't, wait ten months, why don't we just stick the new sensor on NOW!!!

And all of the Nikon execs danced in their heads (can't imagine them actually dancing) with joy and relief. It was a great plan.

Awesome plan.

Worked, too, until ...

Somebody pointed out a month or so ago that they now didn't actually have a NAME for the actual D40x, since they'd already (blatantly, vulgarly, prematurely) yoooooooooosed its name.

And D40y seems, so, well, weird.

And D50 was already taken.

And D60 was being reserved for some camera which was still in the drawing room.

And the D60 R&D guys were late for the meeting.

So they stole its name too.

And everybody except the D60 R&D guys, and the entire Nikon-loving world, went to sleep that night very happy.

And that's all she wrote, folks!!!

(Disclaimer: If a single word of this turns out to be true, Nikon can't fire me for leaking it. I don't work for them to begin with, much less get to sit in on their Board meetings ...).

-- LaDonna

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Wed 30-Jan-08 03:02 AM
#24. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 23

NL

PS: Btw, Simon, most of the reviews that I've read so far seem to think that, given the particular specs of the D60, there isn't going to BE a successor to the D80. Word has it that the D40, the D60, and the D300 make a full line-up. Anybody else scared and frustrated about this possibility? I mean, all those supposed "wild, baseless rumors" about the D60 turned out to be pretty much on the money. Maybe those of us who are frustrated with our D80s and can't afford a D300 (lust, lust) won't be getting "our" camera after all?

???

:-0

--LaDonna, in denial, because it's easier than dealing with shock..

nosingchum Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2005Wed 30-Jan-08 04:53 AM
#25. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 24

Richmond, CA

Yes, I agree with your earlier comment that the release of the D60 is what the D40x should have been. However, I believe the D40/D40x has been obsoleted.

Two reasons why I believe that:
1. The *target* market is demanding 10-12 MP bodies. Now, the only reason to choose the D40 over D60 would be only price.
2. Capacity at Nikon's Thailand factory probably can't handle D40, D60, and D300 demand. The D300 demand is still very high and Nikon recently announced they were increasing production to 70,000 bodies /month. This doesn't leave much capacity left for D40 and D60.

There will be a D80 replacement but not until an adequate supply of D300 bodies have been built. It's just plan ridiculous to believe that the D80 would be around for another year; the rumoured D90 should be a formidable camera in any case, giving the 40D and 450D a run for its money. I'd expect this to come out probably around August, which is around the 2yr anniversary of the D80. Not any sooner because this would jeopardize sales of the D300.

These are only my predictions

Simon

- FM2n, F100, D300, D800

drichi Basic MemberWed 30-Jan-08 06:14 AM
#26. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 30-Jan-08 06:33 AM by drichi

GW

She wouldn't trade a D40 in if she had one, but she was thinking of a buying D40/D40x. Now that the D60 is out, if she gets one it will likely be that, especially since discounts for older models are slow in coming in Japan. However, if the size is the same, that would not be a factor.

The point about the D3/D300 is that she and most other casual/beginner photographers who will be the market for the D60 is/are exactly the type of persons to ask that question and would not be concerned about high ISO noise or most other things that enthusiasts are.

I mentioned elsewhere that I had been photographing some ducks a week ago under what I thought were unique light conditions. I then found a photo posted by an acquaintance of mine which was taken on the same river but a day earlier. At first, I thought someone had stolen one of my images. Even the duck was the same species. Even at full size on screen, I could tell no difference in the image quality. Mine was taken with a D300, his with a D40X. Of course we used different lens, but nobody would know that one was taken with a camera costing nearly 3x as much as the other.

drichi Basic MemberWed 30-Jan-08 06:27 AM
#27. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 22
Wed 30-Jan-08 01:57 PM by drichi

GW

Actually, I rechecked that and I am not sure which LCD they are talking about. It is in Japanese and simply says "information display" (jouhou houji) I thought it was a top screen, but I guess not as the D60 body is the same as the D40. Photo is here: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/dslr/2008/01/29/7832.html

The D60 will only be RAW+Basic according to Nikon Japan http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/jpn/whatsnew/2008/0129_d60_01.htm

It does seem that Nikon focusing on the entry level with the D60 and then the D300 "prosumers" and the D3/D3X for professionals or folks with tons of disposable income. I wonder if there will be a D80 successor? It would be a large gap to leave open.

Edited to add RAW+Basic info.

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 30-Jan-08 06:41 AM
#28. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 27
Wed 30-Jan-08 06:44 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

No question about it - the display really changes colour!

Cheers

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com

Ni40x2008 Registered since 30th Jan 2008Wed 30-Jan-08 03:17 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 26

US

It's interesting!

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 30-Jan-08 09:23 PM
#30. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 30-Jan-08 09:30 PM by MstrBones

AW

>adjusts the EV on the fly for different regions of the sensor while shooting

Dean,

Are you saying this happens during a single shutter actuation?

""

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 30-Jan-08 09:37 PM
#31. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 12

Paignton, GB

>I agree that D-lighting is valuable in post processing, but
>Active D-lighting seems to be an order of magnitude more
>effective as it appears to me that it adjusts the EV on the
>fly for different regions of the sensor while shooting. Is
>this how it works on the D300, too?

No, and I suspect it does not work like that on the D60.

On the D300 and D3, Active D-lighting can (depending on the scene) reduce the overall exposure value for a shot, then in effect apply a different tone curve to the image as it is saved. This maximises the dynamic range of the image in difficult lighting conditions.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Wed 30-Jan-08 09:39 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: New Nikon D60"

CA

Just basic...It really isn't anything more than a glorified x. But I may actually replace my D40 for one... maybe...it does have a few features over the D40 that I would like. Like the slightly faster capture speed(3 FPS v.s. 2.5) The EXPEED is a biggy, as well as the top LCD.

JZP

http://yaris01.deviantart.com

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 30-Jan-08 09:45 PM
#33. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 32

Bogor, ID

There is no top LCD .... see the original post which shows that externally the D60 is strikingly similar to the D40/D40x.

Regards

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Wed 30-Jan-08 11:45 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 33

CA

Yes yes I realized what I was saying after I posted it...I really need to stop typing before I think...

JZP

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Wed 30-Jan-08 11:58 PM
#35. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 19

CA

Well apparently the official price (although not listed on the site yet) is supposed to be 750 USD with an 18-55 VR. So I suspect the body to be somewhere around the x body (a little higher I imagine but it shouldn't be much). The D60 may seem pointless to current x owners but to a D40 ownerit would be a nice upgrade.

JZP

ilgoldstein Registered since 03rd Oct 2007Thu 31-Jan-08 04:40 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 35

Burbank, US

The eye sensor does address a complaint I've read on this forum, and the vertical position display is neat. The date imprint is something my wife would love. I've always hated imprinting the image with the date, it's on the file data.

I think the D60 is a good refinement of the D40x, and I'm still happy with my D40.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Thu 31-Jan-08 04:22 PM
#37. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 31

AW

>On the D300 and D3, Active D-lighting can (depending on the scene) reduce the overall exposure value for a shot,

Brian,

That is what I assumed had to happen rather than adjusting EV on different parts of the sensor.

It would be quite complex, (not sure if even possible at least at this point), to reduce amplification of region of the sensor even if matrix metering was really carefully measuring the scene in a way we have never seen before.

The problem with reducing EV, and bumping up the D-lighting of shadows is noise, though I realize the new sensors are better at controlling that than my D70s. Still, I'd prefer to apply it after the fact in Capture NX.

""

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 31-Jan-08 08:03 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: New Lenses"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Hi:

I am afraid that a lot of people are missing the significance of the D60. Yes, it can be an entry level camera, but it can also be much more than that. I’m really interested in photography – it has taken over my life, basically. Therefore, I’m always in the market for a D60 type of camera.

The D60 could be used as a learning tool, without all the bells and whistles, and it is very light. It has several features that peaks my attention. Firstly, the Exposure compensation reading in the viewfinder goes from -5 to +5 EV, even at 1/3 stops. That is crucial if we want to learn or implement the Zone System. The D40/D40x went from -2 to + 2 EV.

Secondly, it comes with an electronic rangefinder to aid in manual focusing. I really do not know what it really is, but it could be a great tool for AF or even AIS type of lenses. Thirdly, what I’m very interested in is what is displayed in the viewfinder. If we get all the important shooting information, then it would be a great backup camera and above all, a true training or learning camera.

Lastly, it comes with the “Active Dust Reduction System with Airflow Control" system to reduce the amount of dust that reaches the sensor. This feature is very important if we change lenses in field like I would do with a training camera. Therefore, it might be just more than an introductory level DLSR. In other words, it could be a great fun camera. It does not mean that I will rush out and get one. I can do the same thing with the D300, but it is something to consider as body only option and not the kit option.

Best regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 31-Jan-08 08:07 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 25
Thu 31-Jan-08 08:09 PM by Ramesses

US

Hi:

Oops! I posted the same message under the wrong sub-thread. Sorry about that.

I am afraid that a lot of people are missing the significance of the D60. Yes, it can be an entry level camera, but it can also be much more than that. I’m really interested in photography – it has taken over my life, basically. Therefore, I’m always in the market for a D60 type of camera.

The D60 could be used as a learning tool, without all the bells and whistles, and it is very light. It has several features that peaks my attention. Firstly, the Exposure compensation reading in the viewfinder goes from -5 to +5 EV, even at 1/3 stops. That is crucial if we want to learn or implement the Zone System. The D40/D40x went from -2 to + 2 EV.

Secondly, it comes with an electronic rangefinder to aid in manual focusing. I really do not know what it really is, but it could be a great tool for AF or even AIS type of lenses. Thirdly, what I’m very interested in is what is displayed in the viewfinder. If we get all the important shooting information, then it would be a great backup camera and above all, a true training or learning camera.

Lastly, it comes with the “Active Dust Reduction System with Airflow Control" system to reduce the amount of dust that reaches the sensor. This feature is very important if we change lenses in field like I would do with a training camera. Therefore, it might be just more than an introductory level DLSR. In other words, it could be a great fun camera. It does not mean that I will rush out and get one. I can do the same thing with the D300, but it is something to consider as the body only option and not the kit option.

Best regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 31-Jan-08 08:39 PM
1300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 39

Yorkshire, GB

You forgot to mention the Date Imprinting.

Chris

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 31-Jan-08 08:51 PM
1300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 24
Thu 31-Jan-08 08:54 PM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

Here's what I hope.

This was the time for the D80 to be upgraded. But there wasn't a lot that could be done to get a D90 that wouldn't have taken at least some wind out of the D300's sails. The D40x, meanwhile, can usefully be upgraded 6 months early. It should have been a D60 in the first place, the new camera is surely a D60s. It now gets clear differentiation - in the shops - from the D40.

It won't look strange then when the D40 is quietly dropped mid-year, with the D60 remaining as the entry-point in the Nikon lineup. The quiet dropping of the D40 will be drowned out by the noisy introduction of the D80 replacement, the camera we've been waiting for!

I know this is all true, as it will appear on KR's site in due course.

Chris

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 31-Jan-08 11:56 PM
#42. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 39
Thu 31-Jan-08 11:57 PM by Ramesses

US

Hi:

I’m still trying to figure out what the “Electronic Rangefinder” in the D60 really means. Is it the in focus confirmation light, a full-blown electronic TTL rangefinder like in the bridge cameras, or somewhere in between? The specs for the D40/D40x do not mention the Electronic Rangefinder for manual focus. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 12:03 AM
#43. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 40

US

>You forgot to mention the Date Imprinting.
>
>Chris

Hi Chris:

You made me go back to the D60 specs. I still do not understand the significance of the Date Imprint. Don’t they all have that feature?

Thanks,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

ShaneR Registered since 13th Oct 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 01:22 AM
160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

If I were new to photography and looking for an entry level DSLR, the D60 would certainly be a great choice. But, in my opinion, it doesn't really offer much over the the D40/D40x (I have the D40).

It won't make current D40 owners upgrade, but it should pull in those shopping for their first DSLR.

I can't imagine Nikon keeping the D40/X around long once this hits the street as anyone who does careful research is going to want the D40 or D40x and not the D60 (My opinion, anyway )

------------------------------
If my photos are good, it's my talent; if my photos are bad, it's the stupid camera

Visit my photoblog.

View my Flickr Photostream.

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 01:53 AM
#45. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 42
Fri 01-Feb-08 02:00 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

Hi Ramesses

It's a small step up from the green light but a step nonetheless - it's a bit like the metering display so I think you know a little more about how out of focus you are - maybe better than the green which just comes and goes.

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/d60/easy/index.htm#easy05

If my D200 had one I'd use my MF lenses more often.

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 02:52 AM
#46. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 45
Fri 01-Feb-08 03:18 AM by Ramesses

US

>Hi Ramesses
>
>It's a small step up from the green light but a step
>nonetheless - it's a bit like the metering display so I think
>you know a little more about how out of focus you are - maybe
>better than the green which just comes and goes.
>
>http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/d60/easy/index.htm#easy05
>
>If my D200 had one I'd use my MF lenses more often.
>
>
Hi William:

Thanks for the information. Now, it makes sense.

I am beginning to like this camera more and more. If I were to get it (I’m not in a hurry, though) it would be to use it fully manual, as a training and fun camera – no 3D-Matrix, no auto focus, mainly spot metering, etc. It can also double up as a very good travel camera.

When I got the D40, my intention was to get the D200, at the time, and have the combo just like I did with the A1 and AE-1. Unfortunately, the D40 was not that easy to go manual on. The D60 seems to have all the ingredients that were missing in the D40. I can see the D60 with AF 35mm f/2D lens, most of the time. It all depends on the info in the viewfinder. I need ISO (not the mystery ISO) aperture, shutter speed, WB would be nice, EV, or manual in manual the ± deviation from right exposure setting just to go to the zone system, metering mode, and the more the better. I’m waiting for the Manual to be posted by Nikon.

One big advantage for me with the D60 is that since this would be my manual and learning camera, it freezes technology as it is today. In other words, I will not need to upgrade it. On the other hand, the D300 will eventually have to be upgraded to the D500 or D600.

Let me see. It is either the 16-85 VR or the D60? It is a no brainer.

Best regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 03:17 AM
#47. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 25

NL

>The *target* market is demanding 10-12 MP bodies. Now, the
>only reason to choose the D40 over D60 would be only price.

That's a mammoth "only." Whenever I'm cruising the photo aisles in the stores these days (do they have NAS Anonymous?

???

)

I'm still impressed by the number of people buying D40's who, when I ask them why they're choosing that instead of the D40x -- expecting to hear coherent thoughts about the irrelevance of those last 4 MP -- find out that they'd get a D40x, would truly love a D40x, if they could afford it.

Now, I've been poor: daughter of urban über-poverty (think gang-killings and incarcerated uncles, aunt murdered point-blank while holding her five-year-old daughter's hand ... on an outing to a bowling alley ...) who married rural über-poverty (think sharecropping, no plumbing, "meat" once a week: a single chicken, shared among a family with 12 kids ... dad and the older boys got the chicken, and the rest got gravy made from the liquid the chickn had first cooked in) ... I grew up always having at least enough food but only sometimes having enough clothes; worked three jobs at a time while when I was in college, with my mother working two, so that between us we could pay for my education, leaving my father only to have to deal with providing for the family; walked over an hour each way to class for a while because I couldn't spare the quarter for the bus, yadayadayada ... I've been bone poor. You NEVER would have found me in an displalying D40/x's. You probably wouldn't have found me in the store. That store probably wasn't on my walk to school ... After I graduated from college, worked for a few years to pay down my college loans, and entered a world populated with people with successful careers ... a world in which sharing an apartment was something you did if you couldn't afford a condo in the city on your own ... entered that world and married someone from that world ... ever since we became a pair of DINK's (remember those?), I've been able afford anything under a thousand dollars if I simply wanted one. I don't buy something for a thousand dollars without taking it into account while keeping track of the money (a thousand dollars isn't ten dollars), and I certainly don't do it on a daily basis, but neither do I have to save up for it. If I want a new fancy beginner's camera, I do the research, get clearance from the bank (my other half), and I buy the big fancy beginner's camera. I've never in my life been part of a world in which people who CAN afford a D40 nonetheless CANNOT afford a D40x. It was a wake-up call, a child of a the underclass and a mother with dreams, to find out that this kind of person who isn't poor but can't afford a D40x isn't merely a tight-fisted eccentric, but is quite common.

In my opinion, if Nikon does any reasonable research at all, the camera they will retire is the D40x, not the D40. After reading in this thread that the D60 doesn't even do NEF+JPEG(fine) -- now that's truly a missed opportunity, Nikon! -- I seriously fail to see the point of the D40x any more. I mean, given the D40x, why do we need a D60 ... but that is also true in reverse. The D40 should stay in the line-up, and I truly hope it does (more future Nikonians!!!). Legions of people want a new car. There's a good reason why car manufacturer's DO produce the "base-line" model, without any of the upgrades. It isn't because the buyers aren't impressed with any of the upgrades ...

-- LaDonna

Ni40x2008 Registered since 30th Jan 2008Fri 01-Feb-08 03:34 AM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: New Lenses"
In response to Reply # 21

US

I'm just waiting the day Nikon releases 50mm (or 30mm) f1/8 AF-S at affordable price for my D40x!

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 03:45 AM
#49. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 46

US

Hi William:

The following is excerpt from Ken Rockwell’s review on the D60:

“Believe it or not, the D60 outdoes even my D3, since it has not just a dot, or a dot and two arrows, but uses the entire bar graph to display manual focus more precisely and over a broader range. I wish my D3 displayed this well. While the D60 manual focus display is more precise than the manual focus display of the D3, that doesn't mean that the sensors and mechanics that drive the display give the D60 more precise or more accurate focus; I suspect the D3 is better.

Of course the D60 has no metering with manual focus lenses, but this feature is handy when focusing AF lenses manually.
To get the most out of traditional manual focus lenses, get at least a D200 or D300 and preferably a D3. The D80 has no metering either with manual lenses.

The D60 is very smart. The bar graph becomes the focus display when you switch the lens to M, but if you go into manual exposure mode, the meter usurps the bar graph. Not to worry; the focus OK dot on the lower left still works.”

That takes care of my enthusiasm for the D60. When will Nikon ever make a DSLR that can be used in full manual mode by people like me? I do not need the bells and whistles just the basic information and controls.

Best regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 03:49 AM
#50. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 46

Bogor, ID

Ramesses

If you want my input - when in doubt buy glass..... Lenses last decades whereas bodies evolve rapidly.... (can I tell you how wonderful the 85mm f/1.4 is)

IMVHO the D60 is not really different to the D40 and 40X. Are you sure it would get much use ahead of the stellar D300.

That said I have often considered adding a D40 as a second light body but I wanted it partly for low light and the absence of AF on my small primes has always put me off. Plus the D200 is not so big...

In the end I picked up a little-used F100 instead for $260!

And now the D300 is here that will be my low light camera once my birthday arrives

Good luck with your choice...

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 03:56 AM
#51. "RE: New Lenses"
In response to Reply # 48

Bogor, ID

I'm not sure they will do that too soon. I would expect them to target new primes at the pro market - rather like Canon seem to have done.

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 04:03 AM
#52. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 49

Bogor, ID

And this is from Bythom...

"Jan 29--Let's see, we've had 40, 50, 70, and 80, what's left? Well, now we have one of the answers: the new Nikon D60. This appears to be a simple D40x update. Still 10.2mp, but with a dust control system (sensor cleaning function plus directed airflow within the mirror box area).

Personally, I'd call this the D40xs myself, as all the changes are modest ones that didn't require deep design or critical part changes. Other things that were added: Active D-Lighting and automatic shut-off of the color LCD when you're looking through the viewfinder. Both those items are functional and useful additions. We also get a new battery, date imprint, stop motion animation support, an update to the metering system, none of which we needed. A couple of modest interesting additions: the rear LCD shooting display pivots with the camera and you can now have the camera process an already shot NEF into a JPEG. The one significant item that didn't make it into the update but should have is Live View.

Basically, it looks like Nikon concentrated on fixing the big issues that some have found with the D40x, a camera I already liked and think is under-rated. I expect a chorus of "disappointment" posts on the various Internet fora, but I think you need to look at the price/performance of this low-end camera.

Coupled with the new 18-55mm VR lens in the basic kit, the D60 makes one heck of a compact travel camera. Add a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and a 55-200mm VR and you've got a pretty compact kit that can do most of what the consumer needs to do."

Cheers

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com

ilgoldstein Registered since 03rd Oct 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 04:53 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 47

Burbank, US

LaDonna,

I was honestly impressed with your story, but let me lay out to you my thinking process as to why I bought the D40 instead of the D40x --

1. I sure want a DSLR, and I've look at Canon, Olympus and Nikon. Gee I like that Nikon, and it gets pretty good reviews too.

2. I've got a mortgage, I've got a kid in college, my wife is working on her doctorate, and even though I've got money in the bank, there are a lot of things I NEED to spend money on. I WANT the camera, but I won't die if I don't get one.

3. My hard working wife will kill me if I spend too much on a new "toy." (OK, it's not a toy in the sense of a plaything, but it's akin to a guy toy like a new drill or something chrome for the car/truck.)

4. I can justify spending $500. I can justify spending $700 if I push it.

5. If I buy the camera for $500 now, I can spend $200 on a flash or lens in a few months and not feel like a spendthrift.

6. Lots of people tell me that #5 is a legitimate choice.

Therefore, I buy the D40. After a few years, maybe my skills will have developed to the point where I can justify stepping up to a more advanced body, and pass the D40 down to my son.

The D60's price point would have been outside of my comfort range given 1 through 6.

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 06:35 AM
#54. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 53
Fri 01-Feb-08 07:00 AM by Cookies35

NL

>LaDonna,
>
>I was honestly impressed with your story, but let me lay out
>to you my thinking process as to why I bought the D40 instead
>of the D40x --

I don't think it's a "but," ! I think we're talking about the same thing. "Can afford" $700 on a new toy (yes it is a toy in my opinion, just a toy made by Nikon with an older "recommended age" than what Fisher Price produces... ! ) but "can't afford" a thousand dollars (which is what you'd spend on a D40x AND a new speedlight, is -- in the sense that I was meaning, the same thing as "sure I've got a thousand dollars. I've also got to prioritize, and for me, while I (most likely) don't spend too much time seriously prioritizing at the +/- $20 level, I most certainly kick in the prioritization at the +/- $200 level. My husband and I "prioritize" at the +/- EUR 500 level (about $700), which is still, for me, "not Kansas any more." I am am learning about the "prioritize at +/- $200", and feel somewhat embarrassed about the ignorance I've lived with for so long. Poor people are indeed poor, but can also be clueless about the myriad layers in the vast world that look to us while we're still poor as being divided into merely two camps, that is (to quote the eminent Catherine Willows): "rich enough to do anything you want" and "rich enough not to have to do anything." In this new eye-opening I'm going through (now that I'm frequenting camera stores WAY too much), I was reacting (over-reacting?) to this quotation from an earlier post in this thread

>It won't look strange then when the D40 is quietly dropped mid-year, with the D60 remaining as the entry-point in the
>Nikon lineup. The quiet dropping of the D40 will be drowned out by the noisy introduction of the D80 replacement,
>the camera we've been waiting for!

which I was explicitly responding to without explicitly mentioning that in my response. (My bad!!)

Anyway, I think a lot of Nikonians make posts as though the "prioritize at +/- $200 world" doesn't register with them, either. That's why I made the response I did, even more than Simon's "only."

AND, yes, if you are rich enough to have everything you need but not rich enough to have absolutely everything you want, then that $200 is FAR better spent on upgraded lenses, useful accessories, or higher quality central accessories (tripod, tripod head, type of bag you use to transport your gear when you take it on vacation). I squeeze the death out of every lens purchase I make, trying to save every single $100 I can, won't even consider buying new, so that I can, once I've saved up enough bits and pieces, buy an extra lens. Lenses are forever. Extra pixels are, for most people, totally irrelevant. So you were definitely given good advice on that score as well.

Long live the D40! I just bought one last month to teach my 10-year-old nephew how to take pictures. He got the hang of it in 15 minutes, and took this:

http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showphoto.php?photo=104543&nocache=1

It's the D40x that, I believe, has just been rendered utterly irrelevant, not the D40, which I TRULY hope lives a long and valued life.
-- LaDonna

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 06:52 AM
#55. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 54
Fri 01-Feb-08 06:54 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

La Donna

I think the D40X is fairly widely reported to have ceased production. Long live the D40 and the $200 towards glass..

Regards

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 06:52 AM
#56. "RE : New Nikon D60"
Fri 01-Feb-08 06:58 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

Posted twice for some reason - please ignore or delete...

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 01-Feb-08 08:17 PM
#57. "RE: New Nikon D60"

Yorkshire, GB

I probably shouldn't have used the word hope in my post. It was more of a think. And there was a touch of irony (implied, but not explicit) in my post, which I should know better than try.

Anyway, as William said, the D40x was reported as out of production a few weeks ago. Nikon UK's cashback on the D40x continues until the end of February. Major UK suppliers have no D40x bodies. Now we have the D60, which is an upgraded D40x. The D40x is dead. Nikon won't actually say it's been discontinued, but you soon won't be able to get one.

That said, the D80 is already due for an upgrade, and the D40 will be due one in the middle of the year. Perhaps the D80 will last until Autumn, and the D40 until Christmas. I'd think there'll be a lot of fuss about the D80 replacement. If the D40 makes it to Christmas, will it be replaced by a D30? or what? or nothing? The D40 itself was a bit of a surprise when it was introduced (we expected a D50 upgrade), but not so much as the D40x which came out of the blue, and was as much of a surprise in its demise, too. D60 body at launch is less than the D40x was, will the D60 kit be down below $600 when the D40 goes? At that point, I'd think a lower priced DSLR is going to be unlikely.

I'm not going to go into pricing increments. The D40+18-55 in the UK costs about the same as the D40x+18-55 in the US. D60+18-55VR in the UK costs about the same as D80 with the same lens (or 18-135) at B&H,
so it's difficult for us to talk the same language.

Chris

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Mon 04-Feb-08 01:35 AM
#58. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 57

NL

>the D80 is already due for an upgrade, and the D40
>will be due one in the middle of the year.

mmmmmmmm.....

confused here ....

I thought the D40 just GOT updated? And we all have been agreeing that it's called the D60?

-- LaDonna

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Mon 04-Feb-08 12:53 PM
#59. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 58

Yorkshire, GB

>I thought the D40 just GOT updated? And we all have been
>agreeing that it's called the D60?

No, the D40x got phased out, updated & called the D60. The D40 lives on (so far).

Chris

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Mon 04-Feb-08 11:15 PM
#60. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 41

CA

Haha. Yes because the MIGHTY KR knows all. He's just a gossip bag that steals every little rumour and tip off every one else's site.

JZP

R_M_B Registered since 18th Jan 2003Wed 06-Feb-08 04:00 AM
481 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#61. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 20

San Jose, US

I think I smell a D60x on the horizon to compete with the Canon XSi just like the D40x was in response to the XTi. It will probably happen very soon too.

Richard

goro Registered since 25th Jul 2007Sun 10-Feb-08 09:01 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#62. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 18

Leoben, AT

i mean, the D60 is a successor of d40x with addintional functions - of course, but iam wounderering, because nikon has upgraded a camera, which is newer than a D80
for me, usíng a D50 (in manual mode), is the D60 not the kind of camera what I want, i want to have a camera like D80, what can be a option, s i will wait until a D80x/D90 will come and then i will buy an "old" D80

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Sun 10-Feb-08 03:37 PM
#63. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 36

CA

Oh I am plenty happy with my D40. I might consider the upgrade to 60 or 80 but right now I can't justify it. The D40 isn't obsolete just yet so I will wait a while longer. I don't expect Nikon to cut the 40 any time soon because it accounts for so many sales because of it's price. They will have to upgrade it within a year or two though. The key 60 features that caught my attention are EXPEED, the auto-off viewfinder, 3D metering, stop motion, the range finder, and the dust reduction. The extra MP's would be also be welcomed.

JZP

rayjay3 Registered since 05th Sep 2007Sat 01-Mar-08 11:31 PM
#64. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Carlsbad, US

D40 is the best camera I have ever used. Nikon should cater to new-to-DSLR owners like me with up-dated lenses, not newer body models.

rayjay3

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Sun 02-Mar-08 02:18 AM
#65. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 64

CA

Mhmm, I agree completely, their lineup of bodies is doing just fine, they should start putting resources into upgrading the lenses so the entry level bodies can use them to their full potential. They would sell more bodies and more lenses, plus it would make customers happy, which is extremely important today.

JZP

rayjay3 Registered since 05th Sep 2007Sun 09-Mar-08 11:08 PM
#67. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Carlsbad, US

My D40 with kit 18-55 lens is the best camera I have ever owned. Nikon up-grade models (D40X, D60) remind me of buying a car, then seeing that the newer model is equipped with a vinyl roof, curb scrapers, extended warranty, and free chrome tips for the exhaust.
Get real, Nikon. Focus on lens upgrades at a reasonable price.

rayjay3

johndbr Registered since 25th Apr 2007Sat 22-Mar-08 02:56 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#68. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Churubusco, US

I bought a D60 for my wife today as a retirement gift. It's just perfect for her. After asking her if she might want a camera, her response was yes if it wasn't big and heavy like my D300's. Gave it to her this afternoon and it fits her perfect.

Hope for spring to come soon,
John

rexs Registered since 06th May 2008Tue 06-May-08 11:03 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#69. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

IN

Just bought the piece last week. My first DSLR.

Piscator Registered since 06th May 2008Fri 09-May-08 12:57 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#70. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 69
Fri 09-May-08 01:08 AM by Piscator

US

>Just bought the piece last week. My first DSLR.
>

I've read with interest all comments on this thread, because I too am getting ready to buy my first digital SLR, and I kind of focused on this model as being the newest version of an entry level DSLR. I wanted to stick with Nikon, as my N55 has served this enthusiastic amateur very well over the last couple of years.

It seems that most with my level of experience/proficiency seem to have good things to say about it, the negative or less than favorable comments seem to come from more advanced photographers. For me it sounds like a good fit.

Before I take the plunge, does anyone know a better deal out there than the Mom's Day Sale that RitzCameras.com is offering? $749 + free ship gets one the D60, both the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G VR lens and the 55-200 F/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX lens, a Nikon gear bag retailing at $69 & some other minor stuff, some DVDs I guess. That's by far the best deal I've found so far, seems to be a healthy $150-$200 below others (including Walmart) right now.

Thanks to all for an informative thread, I'm glad I found this site and these forums before I committed to buy.

joseaqui Registered since 08th May 2008Fri 09-May-08 04:35 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#71. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 70

US

>>Just bought the piece last week. My first DSLR.
>>
>
>
>I've read with interest all comments on this thread, because I
>too am getting ready to buy my first digital SLR, and I kind
>of focused on this model as being the newest version of an
>entry level DSLR. I wanted to stick with Nikon, as my N55 has
>served this enthusiastic amateur very well over the last
>couple of years.
>
>It seems that most with my level of experience/proficiency
>seem to have good things to say about it, the negative or less
>than favorable comments seem to come from more advanced
>photographers. For me it sounds like a good fit.
>
>Before I take the plunge, does anyone know a better deal out
>there than the Mom's Day Sale that RitzCameras.com is
>offering? $749 + free ship gets one the D60, both the 18-55
>f/3.5-5.6G VR lens and the 55-200 F/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX lens, a
>Nikon gear bag retailing at $69 & some other minor stuff,
>some DVDs I guess. That's by far the best deal I've found so
>far, seems to be a healthy $150-$200 below others (including
>Walmart) right now.
>
>Thanks to all for an informative thread, I'm glad I found this
>site and these forums before I committed to buy.
>
I recently purchased my D60 from Kitz Cameras (in Seattle, but owned by Ritz Camera) in store. I got the Ritz Camera package, but I paid an extra $100.00 for the 55-200 F/4-5.6G ED AF-s DX lens with VR. My store also offers a free Epson All-in-One printer, free prints, free Photo Book, and free Photography classes. I shopped everywhere and this is the best offer I could find! Good luck!

catboy76 Registered since 16th Apr 2008Mon 12-May-08 03:17 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#72. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 71

GB

Assuming I can get the D60 or the D80 for roughly the same price*, which would be the wiser choice to go for? I'm aware the D60 is much newer but my understanding is that the D80 is still a superior model.

I need the camera to shoot stock images.

*D60 on the High Street, D80 off eBay.

Thanks.

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Mon 12-May-08 03:57 PM
#73. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 72
Mon 12-May-08 03:58 PM by Cookies35

NL

>Assuming I can get the D60 or the D80 for roughly the same
>price, which would be the wiser choice to go for?

First step: go to a camera shop and try them out. See which one feels best in your hand. If it's the D60 by a wide margin, that's your camera. It doesn't matter how many things the camera can do; what matters is how many things you can do with the camera. You'll be able to do far more, and will instinctly have it with you far more often, if you really like the feel of the thing in your hand.

On the other hand, if the D80 feels nicer, or it doesn't make much of a difference, then ...

Step two: If you're not in a hurry, wait another month and a half. The D80 replacement, which has been rumored to be about to be announced for about a year now, is rumored to be REALLY about to be announced. As soon as it appears it will have the newest and bestest software/innards of any Nikon two-digit Nikon dSLR (d40, d40x, d50, d60, etc etc etc). If it's too expensive for you, you can still buy a D80 (either on eBay or from this site) for probably less than what you'd have to pay for it today, as all the D80 owners who want to upgrade, but couldn't afford the D300, now ditch their D80's like so many buck-toothed blind dates, probably for a song, as they pursue their new loves.

My opinion, anyway.

-- LaDonna

juin21 Registered since 09th May 2008Fri 16-May-08 03:25 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#74. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 69

US

Wow, imho I think a lot of people are missing the boat with the Nikon D60. It seems all stores are selling the D60 Kit at a reduced 699.99 and if you purchase the VR 55-200 lens, you get an additional $100.00 off (INSTANTLY FROM NIKON AUTHORIZED DEALERS). This means your purchasing the VR 55-200 for $150! Currently these two VR lenses are the best for people just entering into the DSLR market. If your shopping for your first SLR by choosing the lens first INSTEAD of the body for BEGINNERS, the D60 is the best deal out right now. I'm cutting an pasting this from another post I made, so you get the idea.

"...for the lowest prices i could find including shipping with new US WARRANTY LENSES,D40 body which i found in google check out at some place called taaffe photo:

D40 with VR 18-55 & VR 55-200 = $369.98 + $179.95 (Adorama) + $214.95 (Adorama) = $764.88 with shipping probably $784.88

D60 with VR 18-55 & VR 55-200 = $850.00 (Samy's camera, which I usually despise, but had a great mothers day sale)."

The difference in price is marginal, around $65.00. In other words, imho, if your buying the two VR lenses, your best option is the D60.

As an aside, for those people that are stating that the D60 is somehow cheaply made compared to the D40, imho your just trolling.

Now if you were going for the VR 18-200, which I was very tempted in purchasing, I would have gotten the D40.

vai777 Registered since 13th May 2008Fri 16-May-08 09:54 PM
#75. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 74

US

New member here....I researched the data and crunched the numbers for weeks. I considered all brands, Sony, Olympuc, Canon, Nikon, Pentak ect..

After a while it came down to the Sony A300, Canon XTI, Nikon D40, 60 or 80. I toyed with the idea of getting a D200 or 300, but its my first DSLR so...that would have been overkill. Anyway a little further down the road the choice was between the 3 Nikons D40, 60, and 80. The 80 seems to be having all these "battery issues" and frankly I don't have the patience for that kind of stuff. That was the front runner on my list until I read about the battery stuff. The last 2 left on the lst were the D40 and D60, though I was seriously entertaining getting the Olympus E-510 with the 2 lenses.

Resisting Ken Rokwells propoganda about the D40, I decided on the D60 kit with the 18-55 VR lens. I might have gone in the other direction but I don't think the D40 is sold "body only" so in the end If I bought the D40 and wanted the VR lense I would have had an extra 18-55 laying around. Not a bad thing but I would rather have put my money into other things.

Anyway, good to be here...I have alot to learn. Hey at least Im starting off with a decent camera...I hope.

lkmstone Registered since 21st Feb 2008Sat 17-May-08 12:48 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#76. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 75

US

D60 vs D40X.............. sort of like comparing a 20 ga shotgun to a 12 ga shotgun. You can kill a duck with either one but you get more bang for the buck with the 12... or in this case the D60. I bought the D60 and have not regretted it in the least. You will do just fine. You already have found the best place to go for answers, right here at Nikonians forums.

amfule Registered since 18th May 2008Sun 18-May-08 02:04 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#77. "RE: New Nikon D60"

PH

New D60 user here.

Is the D60 compatible with SB600/800's FV lock function? Is it the same as pressing the AE-L/AF-L button?

Over at dpreview, the specs for the "viewfinder information" indicates "AE/FV lock indicator".

amfule Registered since 18th May 2008Sun 25-May-08 04:12 AM
#78. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 77

PH

No one?

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Sat 31-May-08 08:06 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#79. "RE: New Nikon D60"
Sat 31-May-08 08:15 PM by Sportymonk

Rocky Mount, US

>New member here....I researched the data and crunched the
>numbers for weeks. I considered all brands, Sony, Olympuc,
>Canon, Nikon, Pentak ect..
>
>Anyway a little further down the road the choice was between
>the 3 Nikons D40, 60, and 80. The 80 seems to be having all
>these "battery issues" and frankly I don't have the
>patience for that kind of stuff. That was the front runner on
>my list until I read about the battery stuff. The last 2 left
>on the lst were the D40 and D60, ......>
>Resisting Ken Ro(c)kwells propoganda about the D40, I decided on
>the D60 kit with the 18-55 VR lens. I might have gone in the
>other direction but I don't think the D40 is sold "body
>only" so in the end If I bought the D40 and wanted the VR
>lense I would have had an extra 18-55 laying around. Not a bad
>thing but I would rather have put my money into other things.
>
>Anyway, good to be here...I have alot to learn. Hey at least
>Im starting off with a decent camera...I hope.

I am in the pretty much the same situation. I have had a Minolta 3000i from years back and a Pentax before that but for digital, all I have is a point and shoot that I have been unhappy with.

I too question Ken Rockwell's decree for the D40 over the D60. (He does make a strong casse for the 40 but the 60 does have some nice extra features.) If I had a D40 I would stay with it but since I am starting cold, I am torn between the D80 and the D60. As you said, the lens packaging also makes a difference between the 40 and 60. If the 40 was body only, maybe.

I still kind of prefer the D80 but the 60 has the LCD off capability and the dust system so the D60 is the better camera. May wait until the D90?? arrives.

BTW - What are the battery issues on the D80? I haven't read of any in my prowling around.

Dendrobium Registered since 21st Jul 2007Tue 17-Jun-08 03:23 AM
348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#80. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

Can I ask how is this model compared to a D70 then? Would this be an upgrade or a downgrade? Or should I be waiting for a D90? Or is the D80 the better way to go than a D60?

Irwin

egclash Registered since 22nd Jun 2008Sun 06-Jul-08 11:13 PM
#81. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 80

US

Well All,

After reading all the posts, I just have to say that my wife purchased for me a D60 with both VR lenses (70mm-300mm) SD cards,
bag kit, tri pod, Nikon DVD's,,,etc,,,all otd for $799.00...now with all the posts ,,,,please tell me and reaffirm that this camera was worth it for my family and vacation photos.....

thanks,,
Erik

OrlandoRealtor Registered since 28th May 2008Thu 10-Jul-08 04:19 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#82. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 81

US

Erik, Congrats on your Nikon D60 purchase. You will love this camera! Wish I had the 70-300mm lens. That will be my next purchase. Jerry

>Well All,
>
>
>After reading all the posts, I just have to say that my wife
>purchased for me a D60 with both VR lenses (70mm-300mm) SD
>cards,
> bag kit, tri pod, Nikon DVD's,,,etc,,,all otd for
>$799.00...now with all the posts ,,,,please tell me and
>reaffirm that this camera was worth it for my family and
>vacation photos.....
>
>thanks,,
>Erik

hjni Registered since 14th Jul 2008Mon 14-Jul-08 07:58 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#83. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 82

GB

Hi! I to bought the D60 at the weekend. I am entering the world of D SLR and am very excited! I am wondering how god the 70-300 VR lens is for wildlife photography. I really just want to photograph at a range of 20-30 feet. In particular birds. I would like to know if I can get reasonable close up shots with this lens. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Mon 14-Jul-08 08:20 PM
#84. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 83

NL

>I am wondering how god the 70-300 VR lens is for wildlife photography. I really just
>want to photograph at a range of 20-30 feet. In particular
>birds. I would like to know if I can get reasonable close up
>shots with this lens.

Hi, and congratulations! Welcome to a whole new world. It's pretty amazing.

As for the lens, you'll get far better assistance if you post this saame question in the lens forum, here.

Good luck with your lens selection!

-- LaDonna

OrlandoRealtor Registered since 28th May 2008Tue 15-Jul-08 07:04 PM
#85. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 83
Tue 15-Jul-08 07:08 PM by OrlandoRealtor

US

Dear HJNI, The 55-200vr lens should be enough for only 25-30 feet. You should get good results with it. Picture at link below not a bird but shot from about 25 feet from the stage in low light with just in-camera flash. Jerry

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/2660918280_a47ee3b44f_b.jpg

jthomsonjr Registered since 22nd Jun 2008Wed 16-Jul-08 01:16 PM
#86. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 85
Wed 16-Jul-08 01:16 PM by jthomsonjr

US

>Dear HJNI, The 55-200vr lens should be enough for only 25-30
>feet. You should get good results with it. Picture at link
>below not a bird but shot from about 25 feet from the stage in
>low light with just in-camera flash. Jerry
>
>http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/2660918280_a47ee3b44f_b.jpg

Somebody was at Universal Orlando on the 11th...

kartune Registered since 21st Jul 2008Fri 25-Jul-08 01:15 PM
#87. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 86

US

Hi Fellow NIKON users!!

I just purchased my first DSLR camera (D60 w/18-55mm) .... I read many post comparing D40x w/ D60 and comments about "best bang for your buck", well I just want to share that I purchased mine for $589 which included shipping from Amazon.com. The day it went on sale, the next day the price jumped to $640....

Regards,
S. Merritt

rewernikon Registered since 16th Jul 2008Sat 26-Jul-08 06:27 AM
#88. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 87

BG

Hi Nikonians!
Another D60 KIT 18-55VR is out of the field and ready to go.This is my first dSLR and i'm very happy about this.Great body and easy to operate with all buttons .Thanks to Nikon ...
Best regards.

paulbro Registered since 28th Jul 2008Mon 28-Jul-08 02:46 PM
#89. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 88

US

Hello everyone!
We received our D60 (with 18-55mm VR and 55mm-200mm VR) last Friday and are rapidly filling our memory card! I hope to learn a lot from this site!
Take care,
Paul

tedski_tx Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2008Mon 28-Jul-08 06:47 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#90. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 89

Fort Worth, US

Looks like we share the same birthday, so to speak. I, too, just purchased my D60 this past Friday. I've only had a chance to take a few snapshots, so far, as I have a final exam Tuesday, for which studying has eaten into any free time. Come Wednesday, though, (and, even moreso, Thursday, when my "weekend" starts) I intend to go out and get some serious familiarization in with my new companion.

Cheers,

Tedski

namrod Registered since 13th Sep 2007Mon 28-Jul-08 08:28 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#91. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 90

Raleigh, US

So, having followed the discussion track, I am left with a question: As a D40 owner using an 18-200 lens, what is the logical step up for me from a D40? Doesn't seem to be the D60 or D80. Is it the $1,800 D300?

Chris

tedski_tx Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2008Tue 29-Jul-08 06:10 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#92. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 91

Fort Worth, US

Only you know what your next step should be. Get the camera that fills whatever need you have that can't be filled with your present one.

Ted

cary Registered since 03rd Aug 2008Sun 03-Aug-08 01:38 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#93. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 92

Nagoya, JP

Been shooting my D60 for about a month now. Coming from SLR to DSLR, finally. A bit disappointed that so many settings are buried in the menus but the camera takes sweet pictures. New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 should be arriving any day. Kit lens is awful indoors, sold that a few days ago... next lens purchase will be the 18-200 Nikkor VR. Big hello to everyone!

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Sun 03-Aug-08 09:31 AM
#94. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 93

NL

>Coming from SLR
>to DSLR, finally. A bit disappointed that so many settings
>are buried in the menus but the camera takes sweet pictures.

Welcome to the world of dSLR! However, for somebody coming from film SLR I never would have suggested the d60 in the first place, partly for exactly the reason you mention. For an experienced SLR photographer I'd say the only advantage the d60 has over the other options is its size (albeit a very important advantage), particularly if you look at the price of a good used d80. Any chance you'd want to upgrade, either to the D80 or to its successor (if its successor ever shows up)?

>New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 should be arriving any day. Kit lens is
>awful indoors, sold that a few days ago.

The 18-200 is literally "more of same." In fact, in many ways it isn't as good as the lens that came with your D60. Unless you really, really are allergic to switching lenses, I'd give it a pass and save up for something with higher IQ and/or larger aperture.

>Big hello to everyone!

Big hello back!

-- LaDonna

cary Registered since 03rd Aug 2008Sun 03-Aug-08 12:29 PM
#95. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 94

Nagoya, JP

Yeah, I had my reservations about buying an 'entry-level' DSLR.... but I was also on a budget. So I compromised. With the Sigma 30mm prime I think the D60's got a few years of fun use ahead. But if the D90 ever comes out I will probably swap... yeah, for sure. But I can wait! Hell, I'll have to, I have no more money! Thanks for the nice welcome.

Her in Doorz Registered since 09th Aug 2008Sat 09-Aug-08 08:59 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#96. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 31

GB

Hello Brian I have tried to reach but cannot. Its me Mary. Stan says a big hello and I hope you are enjoying your retirement.

Mary x

silentShinobi Registered since 09th May 2008Tue 30-Sep-08 09:05 AM
#97. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 95

US

Wow, this is a long thread!! well anyways, I have not had to opportunity to purchase the d60 when I first bought my d40 brand new awhile back but the only thing I see that i think is beneficial is the standard lense equipped with VR and the d60 has sensor cleaning like the Canon EOS and active d-lighting. I did notice that it has only 3 focus points like the d40 but dont really know how the d60 works. My d40 also has d-lighting but I only assume that the d60's active d lighting outperforms my d- lighting. But I've research across the nikonians board and they say that some d40 owners has taken pictures for people and they were more satisfied with the results of the d40 compared to a d300. If I can find that thread, Ill post it up. But I love my d40 and plan to master it.

digitalcameradc Registered since 26th Aug 2008Thu 02-Oct-08 05:47 AM
#98. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

US

very helpful thanks

SargentShooterD60 Registered since 02nd Oct 2008Sat 11-Oct-08 11:07 AM
#99. "RE: New Nikon D60"

US

>> >Also, has anybody been able to track down whether the D60 will
>take pictures in NEF + JPEG(fine) mode? The specs are really
>vague, and the D40x only takes in NEF + JPEG(basic).
>
>-- LaDonna
>
>_________________________________
>A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

No, just NEF+JPEG (Basic)

intruder61 Registered since 16th Nov 2008Tue 18-Nov-08 09:28 AM
#100. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 89

AU

>Hello everyone!
>We received our D60 (with 18-55mm VR and 55mm-200mm VR) last
>Friday and are rapidly filling our memory card! I hope to
>learn a lot from this site!
>Take care,
>Paul

same here, same package deal.
plenty to read to master this puppy, to capture "that" pic.
until then, cheers.

NikonD60Shooter Registered since 07th Dec 2008Sun 07-Dec-08 04:08 PM
#101. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 98

GB

Hi All,

New member here, i'm looking at purchasing a Nikon D60 with AF-S 18-55 DX II VR Lens Kit tonight, i've never owned a DSLR and i'm looking at getting into photography out of curiosity and likeness to a new hobby.

I was hoping someone could direct me towards some essentials i'll need to purchase:

Should I purchase a filter? If so, what would you recommend?

Can I shoot with this camera when it is raining?

What would you recommend as a starting place to get into photography? What can I shoot? How did you get into photography?

I'm largely thinking of taking pictures of landscape and general pictures of friends and family.

Which of these dvds would be best purchase?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D60-Magic-Lantern-Guides/dp/160059414X/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001AQWX9O&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=05K61TYY0FQCY9A15VC4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Crane-Training-DVD-Nikon/dp/B001AQWX9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228669581&sr=1-1

Thanks to anyone who can reply! Especially anyone who can reply quickly as i'm hoping to purchase tonight!!

kayh Registered since 20th Jan 2009Wed 21-Jan-09 12:50 PM
#102. "RE: New Nikon D60"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have the new D60 with the following lens AF-S ED 55-200 MM 1;4-5.6G as well as this oneAF-S DX NIKKOR,18-55MM, 1:3.5-5.6G VR.My question is which one is the best to take landscraps pictures and of animals, birds , just general pictues
Thanks for any info
Kay

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25291 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.