Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #24709
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x" Previous topic | Next topic
louischeng328 Registered since 06th Jan 2008Thu 10-Jan-08 03:56 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"

Markham, CA

HI!

I am a new member and i'm a beginner. My dad gave me his old D50 and i heard it's the old version of D40 and D40x.

So is there any difference between the two? and most importantly, are the lenses of D40 or D40x be used on D50? Because i want to buy a new lense for my D50.

Thank Yu everyone!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 10-Jan-08 05:45 AM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

The D50 is not an older D40 or D40x, although those 2 models seem to have replaced it in the lineup.

The key differences:
- D50 has an autofocus motor built into the camera body. Neither the D40 nor the D40x has this motor, which ultimately means the D50 will autofocus on all Nikon AF lenses, while D40/x requires newer Nikon AF-S lenses for autofocus.
- D40 & D40x share a smaller camera body & grip, so this might be a plus or minus depending on the size of your hands.
- D50 has 5 autofocus points while D40 & D40x has 3.
- D50 has a top-mounted LCD that shows all important settings at a glance.
- D40 & D40x have no top LCD but a bigger and better rear LCD.
- D40 shares the same 6MP sensor as D50 but D40 has newer noise reduction algorithms, so the D40 has better high-ISO (low light) noise performance.
- D40x shares a 10MP sensor with D80 & D200
- D50 has more external buttons so there's more features at your fingertips where D40/x might have you diving into a menu to change settings.
- D50 has auto exposure bracketing, D40/x doesn't

This list could go on and on into obscure features you might not understand. For lens compatibility, it's not simple but the lenses that come with D40 & D40x work perfectly on D50. As I said above, D50 will autofocus on older AF & AF-D Nikon lenses where D40 won't. There are some very old manual focus lenses that can be mounted on D40/x and not D50 but I doubt these are lenses you're asking about.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery
New: My website is live! www.tempered-light.com

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Thu 10-Jan-08 12:18 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 1

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Larry,

Good summary.

FWIW, the D40 has better high-ISO (low light) noise performance.

Not according to my tests, the D50 is slightly better at any give ISO; but only goes to ISO 1600 while the D40/D40x goto ISO 3200.
(See Photographic Dynamic Range at my web site for details.)

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

louischeng328 Registered since 06th Jan 2008Thu 10-Jan-08 05:10 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 2

Markham, CA

Thank You Larry, jnosacka and Bill for your replys.

I will take my time and shoot more!

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 11-Jan-08 01:18 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 1

Pelennor Fields, US

>... There are some very old manual focus
>lenses that can be mounted on D40/x and not D50 but I doubt
>these are lenses you're asking about.
>
>Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
>My
>Nikonians gallery>
>New: My website is live!
>
www.tempered-light.com

Is there a way to tell which lenses should NOT be mounted on the D50? I have an old 50mm F1.4 lens that I wanted to try on my D50...

g1975a Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Sep 2007Sat 12-Jan-08 01:28 AM
2220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 4

Cambridge, CA

This might help you out:
Nikon SLR Camera and Lens Compatibility

--Trying something and not succeeding is a lot better than waiting to fail: the realization of a chronic procrastinator.--

Nikon Digitutor: A great way to learn your camera   Nikonians Member Survey - Win a Markins Q3 Ball Head

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

louischeng328 Registered since 06th Jan 2008Sat 12-Jan-08 04:36 PM
#6. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 5

Markham, CA

Thank You!

g1975a Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Sep 2007Sat 12-Jan-08 05:26 PM
2220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 6

Cambridge, CA

You are welcome. Enjoy the D50, it's a nice camera and takes some amazing shots! Your 50mm f1.4 is also a great lens so I hope they will work together.

--Trying something and not succeeding is a lot better than waiting to fail: the realization of a chronic procrastinator.--

Nikon Digitutor: A great way to learn your camera   Nikonians Member Survey - Win a Markins Q3 Ball Head

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sun 13-Jan-08 01:03 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 5

Pelennor Fields, US

>This might help you out:
>Nikon SLR Camera and Lens Compatibility

The table might be generally true, but not necessarily true for all lenses. For the old manual lenses (pre-AI) and the D50, the table said "No!". That meant "Definitely do not use, for it may damage the camera body."

I carefully tried my old Nikkor 50mm F1.4 on my D50 and it fit and worked just fine. Manual focus and manual exposure, of course. It's such a nice piece of glass I didn't want to get rid of it.

jnosacka Registered since 27th Sep 2007Thu 10-Jan-08 02:41 PM
#9. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 0

Baton Rouge, US

Hi Louis and welcome to the D50 family!!!
I can't speak to the differences between the D50 and the 40s, I can just tell you that after having a D50 for about a year, I haven't had a moment when I've said, "Boy, I wish I had a D40/x instead of this "old" D50. The best advice I've gotten has been that any time that I spend second guessing what I have is time that I'll later on realize I could have been taking pictures.

I started with lenses from my film camera (one new nikon and one ebay 3rd party), bought a new nikon lense, and recently a new 3rd party lense. In the order of how much I use them: 1. $250 Nikon (new); 2. $60 Quantaray (ebay); 3. $95 Nikon (new); and 4. $400 Tokina (new).

One of my favorite shots was taken with a 70-300 Quantaray that I got on ebay for next to nothing. You'll find it here: http://picasaweb.google.com/jnosacka/JohnNosacka/photo#5061330876700630482 .

If you want a new lens, get one. But IMHO, don't spend too much timeon researching equipment. You could be learning how to shoot and the actual shooting.

Again, welcome, and click the shutter as much as you can!

petie3 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Sun 22-Jul-12 04:09 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I use AF lenses from Nikon, Tokina, Tamron, Sigma, Quantaray and some manual lenses from Vivitar, Soligor and various Korean brands. The electric contacts on the rear of the lens come in three varieties; one is the AF for D50, 70, 90 etc which is in the pattern . .....; one is the pattern for D40, 40x, 60, 3000 etc ........... and mostly have plastic mounts and will also work on the D50,70,90 etc. No electric contracts mean it is manual focus; many of them will work on the D50 in manual focus/manual aperature mode only.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 22-Jul-12 05:00 PM
28312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Difference Between D50 and D40 , D40x"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 22-Jul-12 09:57 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

This is a 4-year-old thread, but it's probably worth pointing out a couple of things - for posterity, if nothing else

It's true that "screwdriver" AF lenses have a pattern of electrical contacts that differs from the AF-S lenses that will not autofocus on the D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D5000, etc. The pattern on AF lenses is one contact, then a gap, then four more contacts. AF-S lenses have no gap and have between 7 and 10 contacts in one group.

Whilst the absence of contacts does mean it's an MF lens, the presence of electrical contacts does not guarantee it's an AF lens. There have been a couple of so-called "Ai-P" manual focus Nikkors (such as the 45mm f/2.8), which have the same "one-gap-four" contact pattern as screwdriver AF lenses.

Lastly, all the top "pro" Nikkors have the same contact patterns as the cheaper, plastic-mount, lenses that you mention. The number of contacts is not an indicator of quality.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #24709 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.