Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #19328
View in threaded mode

Subject: "XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw" Previous topic | Next topic
minigts Registered since 29th Jun 2007Fri 29-Jun-07 04:07 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"

US

For some reason my computer is not recognizing my camera and I don't have the CD with the drivers for the camera. I tried looking on Nikon's site, but NONE of the files I tried to download are working.

I am fairly knowledgeable on getting things to work, driver related, so I am pretty sure it is a matter of not being able to locate the driver.

Does anyone know if a source to download this file or could someone post a link for the file or send it to me? It's not critical I get the driver before I head home, but I was hoping to. :|

And I'm new to the forum, but have searched for driver links previously posted and didn't find anything. Hopefully this isn't a repost.

Thanks,

minigts

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Alexothy Registered since 19th Nov 2006Fri 29-Jun-07 06:09 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, GB

The drivers are available on the Nikon site (well at least in the UK ). You need to register on the site as a Nikon user then in support I think it is there’s a series of pull down menus which will get you to the download section. When you get to the pull down menu system and put the right things in all the boxes you press the search button above them. Caught me out a few times when I was trying to get a manual. Like I said these instuctions are for the Nikon UK site guess there might be variations on teh sites for different countries.

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Fri 29-Jun-07 08:27 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Why would XP need a driver for the D40? Surely it is seen by the OS as a mass storage device.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 29-Jun-07 08:50 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne, AU

Do you have the camera set to PPTP mode or Mass Storage?
You should not need any driver for Windows XP and both modes should work so my suggestion is try whichever mode you do not have selected.
IMO physically connecting the camera (any camera) to a PC to transfer files is dangerous and not the correct method.
There have been several reports of people zapping their cameras through faulty USB ports.
I always use a card reader.

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Fri 29-Jun-07 09:35 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

>Do you have the camera set to PPTP mode or Mass Storage?

Good point - Mass Storage is the one, and as said above, you should just plug it in and after a bit of thinking XP wil go 'ker-plink' - New Device Found and do the necessary.

>IMO physically connecting the camera (any camera) to a PC to
>transfer files is dangerous and not the correct method.
>There have been several reports of people zapping their
>cameras through faulty USB ports.

News to me - I've transferred about 20,000 files without a problem using a USB lead. However, when I come back from a wedding with 4-5Gb of data I use a bay-mounted card reader because it transfers the data faster.

There's no Nikon software in my machine and probably never will be!

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberFri 29-Jun-07 10:11 PM
6273 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 4

Maumelle, US

John
I work in the computer industry and agree with K1W1. It is possible to zap your camera using a USB cable. I, too, always use a card reader. It's much cheaper to zap a $20 card reader than a Nikon body.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 30-Jun-07 09:45 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 4

Melbourne, AU

>News to me - I've transferred about 20,000 files without a
>problem using a USB lead.

I've probably transferred a similar number using USB card readers so I guess we are even.
All I was doing was pointing out something that is possible to happen and that has happened (it's been reported in this very forum). I personally have seen USB ports spark due to being faulty and I have seen other devices destroyed by faulty USB ports.
We are all adults and we can all make our own decisions but I'm just passing on information to let people make educated decisions.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 30-Jun-07 04:01 PM
9629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 6

Memphis, US

Good Info K1W1 something I did not think of but I always use a card reader its faster and simpler than opening the port cover fishing around for the cable etc. Not to mention how much faster the transfer is. My Dad has a Coolpix he was using the camera I bought him a reader and some SD cards for fathers day along with a coolpix case he loves the reader now says he will shoot more since its less of a hassle to download. Jim

PS K1W1 you know my speakers are powered thru the USB so you are so right about the zap stuff glad the card reader came with my first SD card.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Sat 30-Jun-07 06:43 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

I suppose that part of my concern, being a D70 > D200 user, is that I use CF cards and the prospect of one of those pins getting bent concerns me as much as a sparking USB socket does you

John

John

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Sat 30-Jun-07 07:05 PM
514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 8

Dallas, US

>I suppose that part of my concern, being a D70 > D200 user,
>is that I use CF cards and the prospect of one of those pins
>getting bent concerns me as much as a sparking USB socket
>does you
>
>John
>www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

I may be relatively new to digital SLRs, but I've got a LOT of experience with lesser cameras and a wide variety of computer equipment.

My first computer, purchased for me when I was 6 years old, was a Packard Bell 386, running DOS3.5 with 1mb of ram (which was an upgrade), and a 40mb HDD (which was a such a huge upgrade, the salesman actually tried to talk us out of it, saying "What do you want a 40MB hard drive for? You'll never fill a drive that big.")

I think that it is a very bad idea to connect your camera for downloading pictures, and here's why:

1. As stated, something going wrong with the cable and borking your camera is a very real possibility.

2. The pins in a CF reader (including the one in your camera) are VERY durable, and unlike something going wrong electronically with a USB cable, you have control over how you plug the card in. It is EXTREMELY difficult to bend those pins over unless you are doing something extremely stupid.

3. Plugging the card into a high quality USB2.0 or firewire card reader typically allows for MUCH higher transfer rates than plugging the camera in directly.

4. From a user point of view, while it's quite possible to use the camera as a mass storage device, most people who are the 'plug the camera in' types, will use third party software to download their pictures instead. iphoto, nikon-view and picasa are the bane of digital photography. Last week I was at my local camera shop picking up a new monopod, and there was a woman there who had been using iphoto with her d40. She brought a CD burned by iphoto in to have a some prints made. Every image on the CD was repeated in nef, low compression jpeg and high compression jpeg, and she had no clue. It took the guy atthe shop 45 minutes to figure out what the heck was going on with the CD, find the pics she wanted to print, and explain to her what had happened.

These programs separate people from what is going on with their images. It's better to drag and drop them from a card reader, sort them manually and clean them up with a real program.

My moto is, manual good, automated bad.

Steve.

http://www.stevecoonsphoto.com

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sun 01-Jul-07 12:29 AM
#10. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 9

Melbourne, AU

>My first computer, purchased for me when I was 6 years old,
>was a Packard Bell 386, running DOS3.5 with 1mb of ram
>(which was an upgrade), and a 40mb HDD

I think it would have been DOS 3.3 there was no 3.5 unless Packard Bell had some sort of proprietory version which did happen then.
Your 40MB hard drive would have had to have been partitioned as two drives because prior to DOS 4.0 DOS could only support primary drives up to 30MB.
They were fun days.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sun 01-Jul-07 12:47 AM
9629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 10

Memphis, US

I had a PB 386sx that had DOS 3.3 and it also had a 40 mb HD that I bought on base, but you are correct the HD was partitioned. I found this on MS website.

"1987: MS-DOS 3.3 was released April, 1987. 1988: MS-DOS 4.0 was released July, 1988. 1988: MS-DOS 4.01 was released November, 1988. 1991: MS-DOS 5.0 was released June, 1991."

Link to MS DOS 3.3. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69912

MS-DOS 3.3 introduces support for more than one logical drive per hard disk. Logical drives are treated as completely separate disks under MS-DOS, even though they may occupy the same physical hard disk.

This is supported by using nonbootable MS-DOS partitions known as extended MS-DOS partitions. Fdisk reports these as EXT DOS; other MS-DOS partitions are reported as PRI DOS (for primary MS-DOS). Each primary MS-DOS partition is a logical drive, and extended MS-DOS partitions contain from 1 to 23 logical drives (MS-DOS supports drive letters up to Z). Logical drives in extended MS-DOS partitions have the same FAT type as a primary MS-DOS partition of the same size.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Sun 01-Jul-07 08:29 AM
514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: XP Drivers for the D40 - New to the forum, btw"
In response to Reply # 10

Dallas, US

>>My first computer, purchased for me when I was 6 years old,
>>was a Packard Bell 386, running DOS3.5 with 1mb of ram
>>(which was an upgrade), and a 40mb HDD
>
>I think it would have been DOS 3.3 there was no 3.5 unless
>Packard Bell had some sort of proprietory version which did
>happen then.
>Your 40MB hard drive would have had to have been partitioned
>as two drives because prior to DOS 4.0 DOS could only
>support primary drives up to 30MB.
>They were fun days.

LOL, you are correct. You'll have to forgive me for mixing up version numbers. Like I said, I was 6 at the time. I was actually chatting with my Dad about this post when I went to the folks house for dinner tonight. He said it was 3.1 or 3.3. And yes, it was two 20MB partitions.

Of all the responses I thought I might get, this was not one that crossed my mind. Weren't CLI programs fun?

http://www.stevecoonsphoto.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #19328 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.