nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JH

Tampere, FI
1477 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JH Basic Member
Mon 24-Jul-06 02:14 PM

Let's continue talking here as original thread was getting huge

Janne

Looks like the long-rumoured D80 will be upon us very soon:
http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/index.htm

More power
More control
More versatile
More excitement
Next Nikon
New 10.2 megapixel D-SLR addition to the lineup
Integrating quality and affordability to meet the demands of passionate photo enthusiasts

On the basis that Sony have said the Alpha 100 sensor is not the same as the one found in the D200, I suspect we'll find it appearing here as well.

"Sunset is always an experience - but check the ISO speed!"

Visit my site at: http://www.nordicview.fi

kdsmithjr

Ithaca, US
2592 posts

#1. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

kdsmithjr Silver Member Charter Member
Mon 24-Jul-06 05:39 PM

I agree with moving the thread. It must be among the longest we've ever had. Here a nikon I think we can all live with:

Just like the D2x has a switch to use all or part of the sensor (with a concomitant change in perspective of your glass), Nikon should bring out two (2) new DSLRS. One that is designed to go toe to toe with Canon's "big mama" 16 MP FF. It should have all the bells and whistles expected for a state of the art pro body...along with a FF/DX switch. Since Canon has already set the price at around $8,000, Nikon should 'one up' and give us this new pro body for under Canon's price.

The second camera (drum roll please) should be about equivalent to the D200, in terms of build, sealing, etc. but .... it should also be a FF/DX (with the abovementioned switch). Canon has already drawn the line in the sand with a FF prosumer model at around $3,000. At the current street price of the D200, Nikon already has about $1,400 wiggle room to make this Nikon 'that trashes any excuse for a current Nikon film camera owner NOT to go digital.' As a matter of fact, I think that current D200 owners that are toying with the idea of a second D200 body, would not mind at all paying, say, $2,000-$2,200 for a second body that would do even more than their D200.

K. D. Smith, Jr.
My gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1334

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Fotofool

Austin, US
393 posts

#2. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 1

Fotofool Registered since 25th Nov 2004
Mon 24-Jul-06 06:01 PM

>Nikon already has about $1,400 wiggle
>room to make this Nikon 'that trashes any excuse for a
>current Nikon film camera owner NOT to go digital.'

Is that enough margin to produce a full-frame DSLR with the dynamic range of Reala?

Jack

Active: F100, FG (x4), N6006 (x2), L35AF f/2.8, Mamiya Super Deluxe f/1.5, Yashica Lynx 5000, Yashica Lynx f/1.4, Olympus Stylus Epic f/2.8, Coolscan III

Sold: FE chrome, FE black, FE2 chrome, FA black, Koni Omega 200, Ricoh Diacord L (x2), Yashica Electro GSN (x2), Minox GL, Olympus XA

Awaiting burial: F4S, FG, EM, N6006QD

Active: F100, FG (x4), N6006 (x2), L35AF f/2.8, Mamiya Super Deluxe f/1.5, Yashica Lynx 5000, Yashica Lynx f/1.4, Olympus Stylus Epic f/2.8, Coolscan III

Sold: F4S, FE chrome, FE black, FE2 chrome, FA black, Koni Omega 200, Ricoh Diacord L (x2), Yashica Electro GSN (x2), Minox GL, Olympus XA

jimmE

Toronto, CA
31 posts

#3. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 2

jimmE Registered since 18th Jul 2006
Mon 24-Jul-06 06:31 PM

I posted this on the D50 forum because I've been trying to decide between a D50 and a Sony Alpha. But I thought I'd drop this post in this D80 thread also; sorry for the double post!....

Hi all - I just came from my local camera store (which has 20 locations plus an online-store, and is one of the largest camera retailers in North America.) Not going to name them, because I don't want to get them in trouble, but a salesman there confirmed that the new D?? is a replacement for the D70.

He said they expect it as early as 6 weeks after the announcement, which means possibly late September / early October. I know that sounds optimistic, but it makes sense if Nikon doesn't want to give Sony too much of a head start in the <$1000 10.2mp prosumer market. He wouldn't tell me any more (he said he was under a non-disclosure agreement).

So I returned my D50 to wait & see what this new D?? looks like. The salesman smiled & said that was a very good idea. He said they will start taking orders on the day of the announcement. And he made it clear that if I want one, I should place the order ON the day of the announcement.

So now I'm wondering, will it be priced like the D70 ($700) or the Alpha ($1000)? I'm guessing $999.

northjay1

Estes/westminster, US
249 posts

#4. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 3

northjay1 Registered since 10th Feb 2006
Mon 24-Jul-06 08:46 PM

an excellent Post thanks I heard others say thing I hear no kits will available for some time
and no new lens at this time
I bet you won't get a new camera before Christmas season if then
Nikon plays this hard to get game , its old and sorry marketing ploy I am very tired of this game.

PS is there really a new capture NX program that we we promised many moons ago!!! or just more smoke from old world nikon marketing

jim_h

Minneapolis, US
244 posts

#5. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 4

jim_h Registered since 11th Jul 2006
Tue 25-Jul-06 08:51 PM

I also resent the "hard to get" game and it's making me less and less enchanted with Nikon as time goes by. There's just no point in these vacuous pre-announcements. First we have the 20-day teaser, which says nothing; then an "announcement" of a camera we can't get; then months of Easter-egg-hunting on the internet. Apparently I'm supposed to end up wanting the camera so bad that I'm totally fixated on it, wouldn't consider another brand, and will pay anything. Just the opposite happened with the D200; as the months went by with no availability, I talked myself out of it.

I like Nikon products and have some loyalty to the brand. Speculation is fun, but I'd also be happy to see a thread blasting Nikon marketing for this dumb, patronizing game, which I believe is not even in Nikon's best interest.

F2AS

Washington, US
529 posts

#6. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 5

F2AS Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2005
Wed 26-Jul-06 12:59 AM

I'm not sure that Nikon's marketing plan is dumb in that it seems to have worked with their DSLR's as of late, but I totally agree with you that this waiting game for them to supply stores with cameras is frustrating to say the least. Like I've said in posts before, it never used to be that way with film cameras. You decided what you wanted, and you were able to easily find and buy it. What happened to you with the D200 happened to me with the D50. I was all excited about getting one back in May, then I waited and waited for 3 months for one to come in stock. Now I've given up. I'll just stick with my N80. However, I am interested in the new Nikon, if they are actually available for sale in stores.

Mike

pmirror

Jakarta, ID
1247 posts

#7. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 6

pmirror Registered since 24th Nov 2002
Thu 27-Jul-06 02:55 PM

Getting D200 n D50, even when they're just out, is not very difficult here in Jakarta. If you don't get the first shipment, you'll get the next batch about a month or 6 weeks later. Can also buy the imported item with international warranty.

The 18-200VR lens is sometimes Out of Stock, here.

Pinky Mirror
Nikonians@Jakarta,Indonesia--
it's near Bali, if you don't know where it is

www.pinkymirror.com

djjohnr

San Francisco, US
11 posts

#8. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 3

djjohnr Registered since 26th Jan 2006
Tue 25-Jul-06 01:27 AM

As much as I love Nikon, if I were deciding again I would have bought a Canon. As your looking at Sony and Nikon, think about this - no full frame. Now alot of people on this board feel DX is just as good and we don't need FF anymore. The two things that cannot be denied though are 1) Full Frame allows bigger pixels, bigger pixels mean higher signal to noise ratios, higher signal to noise ratio means less noise in your shots. 2) Those bigger pixels can accomodate larger airy discs, larger airy discs mean reduced effects of diffraction at smaller aperatures.

I'm buying a new body next year, if Nikon doesn't come out with some announcement letting me know they are planning a FF body, I'm selling my Nikon gear for a 5D.

MstrBones

AW
8238 posts

#9. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 8

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005
Tue 25-Jul-06 12:54 PM

>I'm buying a new body next year, if Nikon doesn't come out with some announcement letting me know they are planning a FF body, I'm selling my Nikon gear for a 5D.

I know one well known pro who dumped Canon FF, (and this guy shot Canon everything for years), and go to D2x. The complaint? Lenses. Why the new choice? Nikon Lenses.

Just my 2 cents - the quality of ones photos are heavily influenced by quality lenses. Go stick some high quality DX lenses on that D50 and get ready for an eye opener. You can then leverage the lens investment with a higher res camera later.

""

djjohnr

San Francisco, US
11 posts

#10. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 25-Jul-06 04:18 PM

I can see an argument for Nikon based on ergonomics and layout (why I chose Nikon to begin with), but lenses no.

I own high quality Nikon glass, but I can't argue with a straight face that my 80-200 2.8 is any better then a 70-200 2.8 L.

DVDMike

Metro Atlanta, US
2225 posts

#11. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 8

DVDMike Registered since 25th Mar 2003
Tue 25-Jul-06 06:23 PM

I do not see where this post is very meaningful in this thread. We are talking about likely at $1000 camera, not a $3500 camera. So the full frame argument against Nikon is mute in this case. All of canon's cameras within $2000 of the expected pricing of the new Nikon are not full frame.

I am a pro who shots both canon and Nikon, but mostly Nikon. I can tell you that full frame likely would have some advantages, but my 8MP 30D has a 1.6x crop factor which is bigger than any of my Nikon's (1.5) and the noise profile is MUCH better at high ISO's on the 30D, even over my D2H which is only 4MP. So while everything being equal, pixel density does play into the equation, it is possible to build superior noise characteristics with dense pixels. You do not need full frame to accomplish this. Full frame is useful for other reasons than noise for many shooters. I would also argue that canon's reputation about having less noisy images has little to do with the fact that they have some full frame cameras as evidence to the fact that their non full frame cameras are also better with keeping noise in check.

http://www.BigDigital.us

briantilley

Paignton, UK
29823 posts

#12. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 8

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 25-Jul-06 06:30 PM

>As much as I love Nikon, if I were deciding again I would
>have bought a Canon. As your looking at Sony and Nikon,
>think about this - no full frame.

I'm not sure why that is relevant. Canon make no full-frame cameras at the likely price point of this upcoming Nikon; it will be competing with the 350D and 30D, not the 5D.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

djjohnr

San Francisco, US
11 posts

#13. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 12

Wed 26-Jul-06 02:04 AM

I'm assuming the user would grow as a photographer and upgrade. Start with a D50 or 70, buy a bunch of good glass, then discover that your limited by not having FF.

Signu53

HK
233 posts

#14. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 13

Signu53 Registered since 29th Oct 2005
Thu 27-Jul-06 03:13 AM

>I'm assuming the user would grow as a photographer and
>upgrade. Start with a D50 or 70, buy a bunch of good glass,
>then discover that your limited by not having FF.

Honestly, and I don't mean to bash. other than the 17mm or lower end. How is a APS sensor limiting??

I think that people should stop looking at APS sensors as a problem and instead start focusing more on what they see through the viewfinder, making your choice of aperature and shutter speed and clicking the button. APS is not that limiting, it's just different so unless you shoot ultra wide then it should not be limiting at all. How many of us walked around with a 14mm wide angle len when you were using your film SLR and need to have this for their DSLR? For me, my smallest lens is a 24mm prime which is great for landscape. If I go digital, I am looking at the 17-35mm or the 17-55mm which will give me a 25.5mm which is perfectly good for what I want. I am not saying everyone shoot like me but honestly, how many people shoot below the 24mm or in this case the 25.5mm range on a regular basis?

I don't own a DSLR yet but am saving for the D200 or maybe the D80??? pending viewfinder quality (if it is biger like the D200, I maybe sold) but I really don't see the argument of why APS sensor is limiting. It only a size issue and maybe a little math if you have to conver the form factor in your head so you can make a quick lens decision and then its onto shooting what you see.

I am no expert but this issue just confuses me.

Gordon

Gordon

narna

Hobart, AU
259 posts

#15. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 3

narna Basic Member
Tue 25-Jul-06 01:36 AM

My guess is the saleman was upselling you a camera he doesn't have yet!

I sell cameras and as a Nikon freak I try and find out everything I can. BUT even the reps dont seem to know what is coming from Nikon let alone a guy on the shop floor. It is likely this is a D70 replacement and if so will have more features than a D50 (like the D70 does now).

Your willing to wait 3 months for your camera? Might be worth it.

I'm nearly done. Only one more shot. Just give me five minutes...

northjay1

Estes/westminster, US
249 posts

#16. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 15

Tue 25-Jul-06 03:21 AM

good call that sound like it is the truth never trust camera sale's people I know I worked as a sales rep it all bull

narna

Hobart, AU
259 posts

#17. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 16

narna Basic Member
Tue 25-Jul-06 03:29 AM

Yeah we're not trustworthy at all.

Now where did I leave those free steak knives?

JollyRoger

Cambria, US
10 posts

#18. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 3

JollyRoger Registered since 28th Oct 2005
Wed 26-Jul-06 02:50 PM

Regarding buying a Nkon versus Son Alpha 100: The first reviews of actual production versions of Son Alpha 100 are posted on web, and some say it has a lot of good features, but image noise is high at 400ISO or higher, kit lens is not as good as 18-70 Nikkor G and the much vaunted sensor dust remover feature is not in same league with Olympus version.

My Conclusion: Nikon does not have as many features "on paper" but will give better images under most conditions. Possible exception would be availabe light photos in dim light where Sony Steady Shot will allow hand holding at lower speeds or using longer lens.

Your choice, bragging rights to new features or superb Nikon image quality.

Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger in Cambria

JollyRoger

Cambria, US
10 posts

#19. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 1

JollyRoger Registered since 28th Oct 2005
Wed 26-Jul-06 02:41 PM

Regarding a future FF Nikons: If it does happen (which I doubt) Nikon would recommend against using old film lenses, especially wide angles, as they cannot give acceptable corner sharpness, unless their is a big breakthrough in ability of sensors to register light hitting at an angle in corners. If Nikon introduces FF cameras, they would have to bring out a new line of reformulated FF lenses, but I doubt the market size for $8000 camera and new limited production FF Pro lenses would warrant it. As sensor and image processing technology improve, the real need for FF digital will go away. The desire of Nikon film camera owners to be able to make full use of their expensive glass is not a valid reason for Nikon to make a FF digital as it would not be up to Nikon image quality standards. Just as the old Nikon F users are dissapointed their lenses are not very useful on AF bodies, the rest of you have to get up and smell the coffee, and go buy some new wide angle lenses. The 18-70 kit lens is a great start unless you need extreme W/A. You can still use your tele lenses though.
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger in Cambria

barkums

6 posts

#20. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 1

barkums Registered since 19th Feb 2007
Fri 28-Jul-06 08:55 PM

See, I still see the pictures as fakes unless Nikon did something different this time around. I was analyzing the pictures and thought the OK button was useless. That's just me. But when looking at the flash shoe, i didn't see all the contacts that are on the D50, D70/D70s/D100/D200/etc. Is it just me or did they change it?

fspeeder

Barrington, US
1418 posts

#21. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 20

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005
Fri 28-Jul-06 09:20 PM

The OK button is exactly why I think this is the real picture of the D80. People who fake pictures would not have faked the OK button without a slight idea what it was for.

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
984 posts

#22. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 20

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Fri 28-Jul-06 11:20 PM

Certainly the large centrally located contact seems too faint, but the number of contacts and there relative positions postions are the same as on my D70. I'm Ok with the OK button as there is no button labeled ENTER.

Time will tell.

Enjoy!
Randy

barkums

6 posts

#23. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 20

barkums Registered since 19th Feb 2007
Sat 29-Jul-06 12:21 AM

>But when looking at the flash shoe, I didn't see all the
>contacts that are on the D50/D70/D70s/D100/D200/etc. Is it
>just me or did they change it?

Anyone?

dwright

US
288 posts

#24. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

dwright Registered since 08th Nov 2005
Tue 25-Jul-06 02:05 AM

My two cents... the new model ("D80"?) will be both an "addition" to the DSLR lineup and a "replacement" for the D70/D70s. Unabashedly uninformed speculation as to some of the specs...

APS-size sensor
10.2 megapixels (as advertised)
CAM 1000
~ 4 fps
buffer = 8-10 frames RAW
uses CF card (or maybe both CF and SD)
1/500 s flash sync
DoF preview
no MLU (not for shooting, anyway)
meters only with AF or newer lenses
both wired and wireless remote, a la D70s
etc.

Initially this new DSLR will be offered with the venerable 18-70 AFS DX as a kit; later this year there may be the option of a kit including both the 18-70 and a new 70-300 AFS VR.

rayonline

NZ
1220 posts

#25. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 24

rayonline Registered since 22nd Jul 2003
Tue 25-Jul-06 02:58 AM

To me a light version of the D200.

Speed may be there in fps but not CAM module. Or it could.
Base unit support yes.
No MLU
Wire shutter release yes.
DOF button yes.
No manual lenses support.
Flash sync at 1/500 without support of FP flash.
Builtin flash.

I say $999USD for it body alone bundled with kit lens 18-70 or 18-200.

I think either its a dif model. So D50 and D70 will stay and a v minimal price drop for those. If any I say $50USD.

Or else a new D70 it replaces. Then I doubt the D50 will get a drop as the price difference between the D50 to this new thing is already big enof. Aka, the D50 is already cheap enof for most pple not to switch (to another model) or demand a price drop of the D50 or then they will get something else.

narna

Hobart, AU
259 posts

#26. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 25

narna Basic Member
Tue 25-Jul-06 03:47 AM

My guess is a very much D70 style camera with its existing features and:
The anounced 10.2MP sensor.
A new focus system, not CAM1000.
The new battery meter system.
Slightly smaller and lighter.
2.5" screen.
Bigger buffer (to suit higher MP)

I think it will be more evolutionary than revolutionary.
With luck I'll be completely wrong!

zalan

HU
600 posts

#27. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 26

zalan Registered since 11th Dec 2005
Tue 25-Jul-06 05:29 AM

I find it suprising that people are thinking that the CAM1000 is unlikely in the new bodies. Nikon is working on reducing costs during manufacturing and one option is to share as many parts as possible between bodies. Personally I do not think Nikon will keep the CAM900 anymore, in my opinion all the future bodies will have either the CAM1000 or the CAM2000. On the other hand it is possible that they will take away some of the options to simplify, but not the hardware part.

---
Zalán Szabó
www.szabozalan.hu

---
Zalán Szabó
www.szabozalan.hu

Radiohead

Basingstoke, UK
148 posts

#28. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 27

Radiohead Basic Member
Tue 25-Jul-06 06:57 AM

Wow - I really didn't expect this much discussion when I started the original thread. Amazing!

Guy Collier Photography | My Flickr | SWPP, BPPA and DWF Pro Member
Bodies: Nikons: D3 & D300
Nikkors: 14-24mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro

Max Power

St. Paul, US
434 posts

#29. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 28

Max Power Registered since 13th Jan 2006
Tue 25-Jul-06 06:44 PM

LOL...if you didn't expect this response, you don't know Nikonians!

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

BartY

Mableton, US
531 posts

#30. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 27

BartY Registered since 03rd Aug 2002
Tue 25-Jul-06 12:24 PM

I agree. A new model with CAM1000 with fewer sensors is more likely than Nikon soldering on with the rather old CAM900.

My only hope is that Nikon already has this new model in production NOW and in sufficient quantities to prevent the long waits that have plagued recent product launches. Being on a waiting list for months at a time destroys consumer enthusiasm and creates apathy, IMHO. People develop the attitiude of, "Why bother getting excited about it, I can't buy it (at a decent price) for 6-12 months after they announce it!"

Don't get me wrong, I think Nikon builds great products, but they need to stop releasing products prematurely just for the sake of meeting a phony life cycle schedule or for marketing purposes. I know alot of folks are just constantly clamoring for new products, but if waiting an extra 2-3 months means that a good quality product will be on the shelves in sufficient quantities, I'm willing to wait that extra time.

zalan

HU
600 posts

#31. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 30

zalan Registered since 11th Dec 2005
Tue 25-Jul-06 02:31 PM

Actually if you leave out a few sensors it is not CAM1000 anymore I meant to say about the user options in the menu.

---
Zalán Szabó
www.szabozalan.hu

---
Zalán Szabó
www.szabozalan.hu

kgendron12

Burlington, US
235 posts

#32. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 26

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006
Wed 26-Jul-06 06:35 PM

You can also probably guess ISO 100-1600 (or even a bump up to 3200) instead of 200-1600.

Also; Is FF really going to make that big of a difference in the picture for someone who bought a $600-1000 dSLR to want to jump to FF at $2000+? I'm guessing that the average person who bought a D50 or D70/D70s (and now the D80) as their only dSLR (not those who bought it as a backup to their D200 or higher priced camera) will stick with this camera for many many years and will only upgrade to the next model when their camera stops working. Also the vast majority (90+ percent) aren't on these boards, they're just out there taking pictures of their kids, vacations, family gatherings and the occassinal photo trip (probably just for a few hours or a day).

I'm guessing (really going out on a limb here) a FF camera is not aimed at the D70/D50 user, but the new D80 definately is (at least at the potential future buyers of one of these camera's who might be wanting more than their S2 IS or Sony H5 or whatever high end P&S can give, or those few left that haven't upgraded from their N70, N75, N80 etc...)

My Disney World Gallery (2006 trip all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

wreeper007

US
60 posts

#33. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

wreeper007 Registered since 21st Mar 2006
Tue 25-Jul-06 01:39 PM

I can see this working out to the way Apple does the iPod lineup. D50, D70 (with price drop), D? (about $1000), then D200, D2hs, D2xs.

There is a gap between the 70 and the 200, this fills it. Also, its just a little more, atleast from the eyes of the consumer, so they creep up the scale.

edmun

eugene, US
8618 posts

#34. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 33

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003
Tue 25-Jul-06 10:50 PM

Is it time for a new forum for this new camera.
The Dxxx forum.

ledmun

Geoffrey4

Perth, AU
296 posts

#35. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 34

Geoffrey4 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005
Tue 25-Jul-06 11:40 PM

>>Is it time for a new forum for this new camera.
>>The Dxxx forum.??

According to the Nikoneurope site, we only have to wait until

9a.m. 9th August 2006 Tokyo time

and they will tell us what its called, then we can have a real forum.

As I recall, the D200 forum got a headstart because one of the US Nikonians spotted a registration of D200 as a patent or trade name).

The 10mp sensor in a more affordable body is really what I've been waiting for, but the local Nikon dealer says he wont seriously accept pre-orders until the 9th.

Geoffrey
In the golden west - Western Australia

Geoffrey

Western Australia
(a state nearly 4 times the area of Texas)

narna

Hobart, AU
259 posts

#36. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 35

narna Basic Member
Wed 26-Jul-06 12:27 AM

Sorry to get off-topic but I have no idea how to private message.

Geoffrey where are you in the golden west? And whats it like? I'm thinking of upping stumps from little Tassie.

edmun

eugene, US
8618 posts

#37. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 36

Wed 26-Jul-06 02:33 AM

Look at the little yellow note pad at the top right of each post. That is the PM button.

ledmun

Necaris

Freienstein, CH
91 posts

#38. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 37

Necaris Registered since 26th Jul 2006
Wed 26-Jul-06 09:44 AM

Hi everybody.
I am new here and this is my first post.
I just ordered a D200 because i realy want to make this my new hobby (again). I have to start from the beginning but i am willing to learn and i already read the manual to memorize everything till the D200 arives in about 20 weeks.
I dont care if the price would drop a bit, if i would wait. My little concern is about the quality of the new D??.
It wont be as good as the D200, right? I know we dont know for sure but with the hints we already got that it will be a d80/90 or mini D200. Do you guys think the D200 will still be superior to the new one?
Also in matter of lifeview LCD. Its nice to have for macros and i would cry if i pay 4500 swiss $ for a D200 and the new d80/90 come with lifeview lcd and 4 month later every body comes with one.
What do you think?

PS: I kinda cant just give it back already and say i wait till we know for sure because the guy who is trying to get me one is working realy hard on it and it wouldent be fair. I actually just want to relaxe a bit and dont have to think about that i maybe made a huge mistake.

PPS: Sorry for my bad english but this is the best forum for nikons and i dont care what the others say

--------------------------
Nec
D200
AF-S DX 18-200mmVR
SB-800
MB-200

Alistair M

Sydney, AU
294 posts

#39. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 38

Alistair M Silver Member Charter Member
Wed 26-Jul-06 10:01 AM

Welcome to Nikonians Martin!

The new Nikon DSLR will not be as good as the D200, which is quite superb. Any concerns will evaporate when your camera arrives so I suggest you read as much about how to operate it as you can and start planning what to shoot!

Best wishes,

Alistair

Necaris

Freienstein, CH
91 posts

#40. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 39

Necaris Registered since 26th Jul 2006
Wed 26-Jul-06 02:48 PM

>Welcome to Nikonians Martin!
>
>The new Nikon DSLR will not be as good as the D200, which is
>quite superb. Any concerns will evaporate when your camera
>arrives so I suggest you read as much about how to operate
>it as you can and start planning what to shoot!
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Alistair

Thx alot > Nice dreams incoming.

Nec
D200
AF-S DX 18-200mmVR
SB-800
MB-200

edmun

eugene, US
8618 posts

#41. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 38

Wed 26-Jul-06 10:06 AM

Having worked in one of the largest camera stores in the world, I can tell you that even 20 years ago Nikon had trouble suppling lens and bodies. (and small accesories)

I think the F2 was really hard to get.

I can remember trying to get professional lens for customers and waiting months and having the Nikon rep show up with a hard to get lens in his car trunk.

Where he got them from I never found out.

ledmun

Radiohead

Basingstoke, UK
148 posts

#42. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 41

Radiohead Basic Member
Wed 26-Jul-06 02:26 PM

'Ere sonny, wanna see some D80 pictures

http://www.photim.net/nci/discu.php3?code=20060706071502MIKL#O147

Translation from Thom Hogan:

* DOF preview button
* Possible FUNC button
* Front Command dial
* IR remote and wired remote
* SD card, not CF

* New AF button on top plate, probably selects something like Wide/Regular or Group/Dynamic/Single

* Top LCD illumination position on power switch
* D200-style diopter setting
* Some back, top buttons moved around

* New lens, definitely goes beyond 70mm (3-digit top number at top end). Lens looks ED and AF-S to me (that's an A/M switch you see), but NOT VR, so possibly 18-200mm AF-S. And it looks like it's the D50 kit lens type of AF-S (slower, no manual focus override).

Nikkors: 14-24mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro

kwj

155 posts

#43. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 42

kwj Registered since 29th Oct 2005
Wed 26-Jul-06 03:38 PM

Yowza, the big leak.

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
984 posts

#44. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 42

Wed 26-Jul-06 10:37 PM

Well, I've looked at these pictures and compared them to my D70. They certainly look very convincing. I don't see anyplace to connect a wired remote as mentioned above. It certainly looks like there is a door for a SD flash card rather than a CF card, too bad (who wants to have one camera with CF cards and another with SD cards?) I'll be interested in finding out how bright the viewfinder is and what kind of coverage it has.

So, who thinks these pictures are real?

Randy

alegria

US
82 posts

#45. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 42

alegria Registered since 20th May 2006
Thu 27-Jul-06 04:42 AM

hi,

seems like the D80 pics got leaked, it's all over the web. slightly disappointed, was hoping for a D200 looking camera with less features. looks more like a D70s with a big 2.5" LCD. btw, anyone noticed the "OK" button on the right? what's that about? dont see that on my other nikons.

northjay1

Estes/westminster, US
249 posts

#46. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 38

Wed 26-Jul-06 06:58 PM

welcome my friend and good to have you here ---John

mallaig

UK
250 posts

#47. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

mallaig Registered since 22nd Nov 2004
Wed 26-Jul-06 02:35 PM

Never mind. Guy beat me to it

Cheers.

dille

Helsinki, FI
28 posts

#48. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 47

dille Registered since 26th Jun 2006
Wed 26-Jul-06 09:29 PM

If thats the real one there isn't much to hooray about. That actually disappointed me after that cocky advertcampaign.

I would have not been disappointed if there was VR in the body which was surrealistic. Ok, I know that Sony didn't make any special camera in other segments, but it's going to be hard struggle between two of these. Both have their advantages. And for a beginner willing to buy 1 body VR/IS/SS/OS is a great thing, afterall even if it doesn't work as well as lens.

Finnish Nikonians Finish Nikonians

edmun

eugene, US
8618 posts

#49. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 48

Thu 27-Jul-06 01:32 AM

Wonder if there are two cameras a D80 and a D90.

This one is as said a "enthusists" camera not a semi-pro one.

ledmun

Signu53

HK
233 posts

#51. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 50

Thu 27-Jul-06 03:27 AM

Well if this is the D80, I will most likely go with the D200 when the chance arrise.

I was hoping something that is closer to the F80 than the D70. I see shooting mode which is not what I would have expected but they are there. Also, I never expected to see the machanical wired cable release since the D70 doesn't have it and the D200 didn't so Nikon is clearly moving away from it.

Anyone know if these are real?? I know the D200 had a bunch of images come out that were not and then the real one did not look anywhere close to those other pics.

Just my 2 cents.

Gordon

Gordon

rickpaul

Tucson, US
1808 posts

#52. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 50

rickpaul Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 27-Jul-06 12:54 PM

While these pictures may be real, I wish to remind everyone that these pictures could easily be forgeries. As photographers, we all know this better than most! As anyone who follows Macintosh news, we're used to see fake Mac and iPod products all the time.

These images could easily be a photoshop'd D70.

Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
984 posts

#53. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 52

Thu 27-Jul-06 03:59 PM

I think we all know this, but it's still fun to speculate!

Randy

Azrael3000

AT
1 posts

#54. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 53

Azrael3000 Registered since 24th Jul 2006
Fri 28-Jul-06 07:34 PM

Hrm I just did an overlay of the flash image and the image from the "d80". The overall shape seems to bee the same. Just at the hand grip there are some things not really 100% ok. The red triangle for example, it's not at the same place (the differences are small but they do definately exist) and left above the red triangle there is a noticeable corner in the flash trailer, however this one does not exist in the d80 image.
On the left side of the built-in flash there seems to be a small outdent at the d80 image, but this one does not exist in the flash trailer (could be retouched to make the shape look better of course).

Here the image: http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0504812/d80_comparison.jpg

So I think it's faked.

My first comment here, hope it's no trash I'm telling you

Arno

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
984 posts

#55. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 54

Fri 28-Jul-06 07:48 PM

Arno,

Very interesting! We don't have long to wait before we know for sure.

Enjoy!
Randy

sculptor

Santa Clara, US
151 posts

#56. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

sculptor Registered since 31st Dec 2005
Thu 27-Jul-06 03:31 AM

What if it's a monster with 20+MP? Something so far out there it
can't be viewed as a D2X replacement. Something that can wave down
on Cannon from above. It could be fiendishly expensive and yet still
be justified because it broke new ground.

Well?

-- Gary

Bronze Dreams
http://www.bronzedreams.com

kd5boc

Abilene,
142 posts

#57. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 56

kd5boc Registered since 22nd Nov 2005
Thu 27-Jul-06 05:00 AM

Considering that Nikon already said 10.2 MP...don't think so.

The AF button is more likely the AF-S and AF-C option, as the AF area mode has it's own button on top as well...to the left of the on-off switch, but that wouldn't explain why its also on the back.

The OK button...replaces the Enter button...and the screen looks to be 3"...or the camera shrunk. LOL

It's either a Suped-up D70s replacement or D200-lite...Hmmm....

From the 4 pics, there isn't 1 thing that IS NOT on the others. Every picture matches. This could be the real deal...Not that I'll be so quick to sell my d50, but it may find a friend in the bag.

Tom

---------------
What does your Mind's Eye show you?

Nikon D50
18-55 kit lens
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 Macro
Mac OS X

gettingbetter

UK
52 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#58. "Yes, it IS the new D80 - see images" | In response to Reply # 0

gettingbetter Registered since 17th Jul 2006
Thu 27-Jul-06 08:28 AM

Looks like Nikon couldn't wait 20 days.

The new camera IS the D80.

And it is the replacement for the D70s.

See http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80.htm

Evidently it is very close to the D70s in spec, 2.5" screen, 10.2 megapixels, 4.5fpm, but generally, much the same as the D70s, same build, body etc.

Ken reckons same image quality (or slightly better) than the D200. Same sensor, obviously, but how could image quality be better? Have they managed to reduce noise using software a la Canon?

Big questions still outstanding (anybody know any more?) are:

- CAM1000 AF system?

- RGB histograms (doesn't sound like it)

- CF or SD? (this one is a biggie for me - 2 GB cards etc, please kep it to CF, please). But from the images of the camera back, it looks depressingly like SD (see only small hatch on back left, not big like the D70/s)

- Will it use the D2/D200 metering system? Please, Nikon.

However, it is looking like Nikon have been really clever in not bringing the D80 too close to D200. Image quality will be as good, but any semi-pro type features will have been removed from this camera. So, best way to sum up this camera is D200 in a D70 body with semi-pro bits missing.

Any other thoughts? Any more 'news' on this?

Mike
D70, but with itchy fingers for D200/D80

Mike, London UK

japani

1 posts

#59. "RE: Yes, it IS the new D80 - see images" | In response to Reply # 58

japani Registered since 27th Jul 2006
Thu 27-Jul-06 09:48 AM

Hi to all i'm new around here but have been checking the forum frequently but enought about me.

The thing that interests me is that there seems to be two depth of filed preview buttons which probaly means that the vertical grip'll also be available.

Further on i hope that once you'll set the self timer it'll stay there.
Seem like the viewfinder is much bigger.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
29823 posts

#60. "RE: Yes, it IS the new D80 - see images" | In response to Reply # 58

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 27-Jul-06 10:10 AM

>Big questions still outstanding (anybody know any more?)

I think everything is still outstanding. Ken has been known to be wrong in his guesses somethimes...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

#61. "He's just pirating Chasseur's images..." | In response to Reply # 60

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Thu 27-Jul-06 05:10 PM

Mr. Rockwell isn't providing anything but some scaled-up image links that are hosted on the Chasseur d'Images website.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

fspeeder

Barrington, US
1418 posts

#62. "RE: Yes, it IS the new D80 - see images" | In response to Reply # 58

Thu 27-Jul-06 11:24 AM

Looks like it uses SD based on the look of the camera.

D200 metering? Possible. D2 metering system, impossible.

I bet it is a junior D200 with probably D70 shutter.

kocho

Metro DC, US
1756 posts

#63. "SD vs. CF" | In response to Reply # 62

kocho Basic Member
Thu 27-Jul-06 01:16 PM

>Looks like it uses SD based on the look of the camera.
>
>D200 metering? Possible. D2 metering system, impossible.
>
>I bet it is a junior D200 with probably D70 shutter.

I enjoy speculation though it is probably fruitless ....

I hope you are wrong on the SD card part, but this image sure shows a fairly small door. It still may be able to sqeeze-in a CF card thru, if the CF eject button is on the short side rather than on the long...

Also, however silly it may sound, putting an SD in it may have some folks think twice and get the D200 at a premium instead, thus further segmenting the market b/w pros/enthusiasts

http://www.photim.net/nci/photo.php3?Code=20060706071502MIKL&O=150

My PBase Gallery Favorites

MstrBones

AW
8238 posts

#64. "RE: SD vs. CF" | In response to Reply # 63

Thu 27-Jul-06 01:42 PM

>putting an SD in it may have some folks think twice and get the D200

Hmmm, well, I don't have any flash card large enough for a D200 or a D80. It would not matter to me to have to purchase SD vs CF, it's just a memory card form factor for the most part. I imagine the D80 is not going to need the absolute highest performance, (if it is faster than 3 fps with that big sensor, I would be surprised - can't give it all the D200 features ).

Just a personal observation - With over 27 years in the computer industry, I've seen everything from magnetic toroidial core to CF in computer based devices and we'll see even more advances in memory technology going forward. I would not get hung up on a memory form factor. Also, if Nikon needed real estate in the camera to support the feature set, memory would be a logical engineering choice to downsize.

All that said, however, I would like mirror lockup and an uprated shutter mechanism, (say 80k to 100k duty cycle)!

Just my 2 cents, but as the D80 gets into the market, it will begin to slide towards current D70s prices, so it will be a heck of a deal for a 10.2 mpixel camera

""

BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

#65. "SD matters" | In response to Reply # 64

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Thu 27-Jul-06 05:07 PM

Don't dismiss the issue of media so casually. The D80 has much less appeal to me because my extensive set of CF media won't work with an SD-only camera. I'm sure I'm in good company with many Nikon DSLR users who count CF compatibility as important. The economics of a second camera don't work out very well when you need to factor in a new collection of high capacity memory cards to feed a 10+ megapixel camera.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

MstrBones

AW
8238 posts

#66. "RE: SD matters" | In response to Reply # 65

Thu 27-Jul-06 05:24 PM

BJ,

I agree, if you've got 2gb or greater CF cards, it would certainly impact a decision to buy vs D200. 1gb cards or smaller, a bit less of an issue, IMHO.

Just a feeling, but I think a lot of the potential market for this camera will be D50 and D70/s owners thinking of upgrade and saw the D200 as more than they wanted to spend. For D50 folk, SD would be right up their alley.

I'd need, (want ), some bigger capacity cards, however, so format would not be as big a deal.

Anyway, you have a very valid point.

""

northjay1

Estes/westminster, US
249 posts

#67. "RE: SD matters" | In response to Reply # 66

Thu 27-Jul-06 08:12 PM

BJ
I Think your right its something I over looked but that may be the reason good job BJ

gettingbetter

UK
52 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#68. "RE: SD matters" | In response to Reply # 65

Thu 27-Jul-06 05:29 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. That small little door on the side has really put a downer on this camera for me. It wasn't so long ago I bought a really fast (really expensive) 2GB card, 'confident' in the knowledge that Nikon would keep CF for D70 migrants!

I can understand the argument that SD is smaller and avoids the vulnerability to pin damage than CF does, but I have another theory...

It may just be a really clever trick to migrate the existing D70 community to the D200. What we were all hoping for was an easy upgrade to 10.2 megapixels with a few new goodies that would mean we could avoid the extra cost (and weight!) of a D200. It looks like Nikon understood our needs precisely, but figured they could extract more our wonga. Or am I just paranoid?

I wouldn't mind so much, but I hate SD. I bought my wife a compact that takes XD (the same size etc as SD) and I thought, thank god I don't have to use those. They're so fiddly. And, as for pin damage, I'd be interested to know what sort of misuse results in pin damage. I've never done it, and I wouldn't consider myself careful - at all.

This camera is looking like a much more complex decision suddenly.

Mike

Mike, London UK

jollyllama

US
57 posts

#69. "RE: SD matters" | In response to Reply # 68

jollyllama Registered since 28th Mar 2006
Thu 27-Jul-06 11:16 PM

I hate to say it, but hanging on to CF cards into the future is going to be like hanging on to floppy disks in 1999. While 30 year old lenses work with modern cameras, digital technology just doesn't have this kind of shelf life. With NAND SD cards up to 8gb being announced by Samsung today, CF is being quickly made obsolete. This is one of the unfortunate things about digital SLRs: you aren't going to be shooting with a D2X in ten years: you'll have had to upgrade to match changing technology by then, and it sure won't have held it's value like film cameras did. Welcome to the disposable world of modern technology.

www.elliotlevin.com
www.flickr.com/photos/elliotlevin

Signu53

HK
233 posts

#70. "RE: SD matters" | In response to Reply # 69

Fri 28-Jul-06 02:17 AM

>I hate to say it, but hanging on to CF cards into the future
>is going to be like hanging on to floppy disks in 1999.
>While 30 year old lenses work with modern
>cameras, digital technology just doesn't have this kind of
>shelf life. With NAND SD cards up to 8gb being announced by
>Samsung today, CF is being quickly made obsolete. This is
>one of the unfortunate things about digital SLRs: you aren't
>going to be shooting with a D2X in ten years: you'll have
>had to upgrade to match changing technology by then, and it
>sure won't have held it's value like film cameras did.
>Welcome to the disposable world of modern technology.

Not sure why you feel that the you have to change with technology? A digital camera is not unlike film. If it produces quality images in 10 Years then why would you not still be shooting with it? The only reason why I can see why someone would "HAVE TO" get another camera when they have a D2x or D200 is if they started having issues with their sensor and there is no longer a way for them to replace the one in their camera. Otherwise, why would you "NEED" to keep upgrading just because something better is out there.

Personally, I don't see why people keep comparing a camera with computers. They are two very different thing. A Camera is self sufficient and does not rely on anything external. It captures and outputs the end product on its own without the need for external help. A computer on the other hand relys on software which is ever changing and in order to utilise the new software, you have to keep upgrading your computer. Baring any hardware failures, it is possible for one to use a computer for 10 years without the need to upgrade if you keep and run the software that was found on the machine. People don't do that because newer software has a lot better function and connectivity.

Now back to the camera. Becasue it is a single function piece of equitment (unlike a computer which is now multi-functional) the camera's only job is to produce an image. Now I will not say that a camera will not have new functions but that those functions will not be that revolutionary. Look at the difference between the F5 and F6. Though the F6 is a marked improvement on the F5, most can't say that the technology has changes so much as to make the F5 no longer viable. As such, I do not forsee a reason to "HAVE" to chase technology just becasue something slightly better is out there unless you want to. I think that a D2x or D200 will still be very much viable in 10 Years provided there isn't any problems with the sensors.

Sorry for the rant.

Gordon

Gordon

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
984 posts

#71. "RE: SD matters" | In response to Reply # 65

Thu 27-Jul-06 05:33 PM

Hi,

I'm in the same position. I don't look forward to buying SD cards in addition the all the CF cards I already have, if that's what the D80 requires. Makes me think my next purchase should be a lens (again assuming this is true).

Randy

fspeeder

Barrington, US
1418 posts

#72. "RE: SD matters" | In response to Reply # 71

Thu 27-Jul-06 06:18 PM

I agree. It is silly to buy another format of memory while I have 5 2GB and 1 4GB CF cards.

What about battery, is it going to be EN-EL3e? It is going to be interesting to see the announcement.

JH

Tampere, FI
1477 posts

#73. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

JH Basic Member
Thu 27-Jul-06 07:44 PM

This seems to be one of the hottest topics I've seen as we are already having over 200 replies totally (part I + part II)

Keep posting and I've to make part III soon

Janne

Visit my site at: http://www.nordicview.fi

Japio

Greenville, US
52 posts

#74. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

Japio Registered since 04th Nov 2004
Thu 27-Jul-06 08:05 PM

Some pictures of the D80, guess it's from a 'real' leak

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/digital-cameras/pics-of-nikon-d80-
leaked-accidentally-on-purpose-190207.php

Jaap Meiresonne

FootNote

IQ
113 posts

#75. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

FootNote Registered since 29th Dec 2005
Thu 27-Jul-06 08:06 PM

On the SD vs CF part of this debate

someone else said somthing along this line im just adding to it

maybe nikon is going to be trying to move the the D##'s to SD cards so it will be easyer for point and shoot owners to upgrade and have the D###'s on CF for the more advanced along with the D#'s

just me taking a stabe at it

Michael.West

Michael.West
www.footnotefoto.com

mrterrabyte

East Melbourne, AU
2 posts

#76. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 75

mrterrabyte Basic Member
Thu 27-Jul-06 10:19 PM

G'day everyone...

First post

I'm looking forward to the launch...

My take?

Well my two takes...

Nikon suggests 'addition'...

I'm thinking either D100 makes a comeback as D100s (we never saw one of those) perfectly adopts the successful bits of the bigger D200 and slips them into D70/D70s guise to supplement D50/D70s/D200 enthusiast range...natural progression of the model titles between the D70 and D200 too.

Or simply a D100s replacement of the camera that successfully replaced the original D100, the D70/D70s...

D100s also suggests an update obviously (to the original) and more accurately reflects the 10.2mp sensor. 'D80' more suggests a 8mp sensor (to me)

Cheers, bring it on, and make the bloody thing available already, whatever the hell it is!

Graham

D70

18-70 G
70-300 ED
105 2.8 Micro

nipprdog

US
200 posts

#77. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 76

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005
Thu 27-Jul-06 10:55 PM

>G'day everyone...
>
>First post
>
>I'm looking forward to the launch...
>
>My take?
>
>Well my two takes...
>
>Nikon suggests 'addition'...
>
>I'm thinking either D100 makes a comeback as D100s (we never
>saw one of those) perfectly adopts the successful bits of
>the bigger D200 and slips them into D70/D70s guise to
>supplement D50/D70s/D200 enthusiast range...natural
>progression of the model titles between the D70 and D200
>too.
>
>Or simply a D100s replacement of the camera that
>successfully replaced the original D100, the D70/D70s...
>
>D100s also suggests an update obviously (to the original)
>and more accurately reflects the 10.2mp sensor. 'D80' more
>suggests a 8mp sensor (to me)
>
>Cheers, bring it on, and make the bloody thing available
>already, whatever the hell it is!
>
>Graham

Welcome, Graham.

so, you think the D80 pics are fake?

but seriously, who knows.

mrterrabyte

East Melbourne, AU
2 posts

#78. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 77

mrterrabyte Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 12:02 AM

G'day and thanks nipprdog.

Do I think the pics are fake?

hmmmmm well actually I do.

For several reasons...

Altho (in these pics) the cam looks good, finished and D200ish - 'specially from a top down perspective, the D80 moniker looks dodgy and unNikon like. The SD hatch looks 'genuine' but until we know for sure that it 'replaces' the D70s or supplements inbetween D70s/D200 - why would Nikon go silly and go SD on an enthusiast cam? Not to mention the fact that Sandisk and Lexar are head to head with building faster/bigger CF rather than SD at present. And the 'OK' button? ewwww lol...why introduce that on a mid range cam? s'far as I know, not even Nikon's P&S cams incorporate 'OK' Also why would they stick the currently easy to access, two handed single mode/continuous frame/selftimer buttons on the right side of cam right near the back command dial, making these selections one handed? This would requre taking the shooter's eye off the subject and away from the composition in the viewfinder, plus I figure the weight of the new cam to be more than the D70s' so one handed operation of self timer/single mode/continuous burst (unless on tripod) would be a pain in the bum - Yeah I know, self timed shots would be tripod mounted and you'd recompose I guess...just I'm used to two thumbed operation and this is comfy for me.

If this (image) is the real deal, I wonder who the target market is supposed to be? SD? Two DOF preview buttons? 10.2mp? Increased weight? all seems a little incongruous based on the leaked images. I also think Nikon would go super secret on the images until launch, given that this is their first big marketing campaign and the teaser is the big interest generator in this launch. I think that you'd find most camera sales staff would have no idea of the details, even whether the cam replaces the D70s, certainly any dealers I've spoken to here in Melbourne Australia have no idea. Someone mentioned above that there were a heap of fake D200 images released prior to its release, goes without saying that this would happen again. Altho if these images are genuine, based on the apparent features like SD, I'll be going straight to D200 thanks...

Does anyone know of any sackings at nikon for apparent leaks? lol

Ok so I just checked and had a look at some of Nikon's P&S cams and they do have an 'OK' select button...I like 'Enter' lol

fspeeder

Barrington, US
1418 posts

#79. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 78

Fri 28-Jul-06 12:25 AM

The flash AD from nikon shows the last digit of the Model number is 0.

F2AS

Washington, US
529 posts

#80. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 78

Fri 28-Jul-06 12:29 AM

I'm really liking the looks of this camera. I guess it's the D200 for the rest of us! The big question marks will be image quality and the viewfinder. From the rear view of the camera it looks like the finder may improve on the D70S/D50. At least it looks like what's on the D200. The fact that it might use SD cards is no big deal to me. I guess it would be for someone upgrading from a D70.

Mike

dwayner

Calgary, CA
262 posts

#81. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 80

dwayner Registered since 15th Jan 2005
Fri 28-Jul-06 01:40 AM

I have a lot of cassette tapes I hope it uses them...... If they have to use SD then so be it. I can live with that. A crappy viewfinder I wont even consider it. A good focus system and viewfinder and I will be on the waiting list.

JOHNAGUAS

PH
44 posts

#82. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 77

JOHNAGUAS Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 01:41 AM

If the new D80 does use SD cards, does this mean SD cards are getting better, so much so that Nikon starts coming up with cameras using this format over CF? They are handy, I agree, but for long-term durability, well, that's something I'd like to know from someone, a pro who has used them extensively for his type of work, especially weddings and events.

I agree with Graham - whatever that thing is, just make it available soon so that the hungry public could have their fill, the flaws in the design identified fast and fixed quickly, if there are any.

And if it is out for sale right away, the D200 prices might just drop. Wheeee!:

Cheers!

john aguas
a very happy nikonian in the Philippines

john aguas

vinnlandia

Kenosha, US
11 posts

#83. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 82

vinnlandia Registered since 16th Jan 2005
Fri 28-Jul-06 02:03 AM

I don't know if any of you have looked this closely at the photos or not, but if you look at the body with no lens attached, you'll see an armature that looks suspiciously to me like it might be responsible for allowing ai and ai-s lenses to meter properly

But never listen to a camera salesperson. We lie.

blue rondo

Toronto, CA
356 posts

#84. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 83

blue rondo Registered since 19th Aug 2002
Fri 28-Jul-06 07:54 AM

>an armature that looks suspiciously to
>me like it might be responsible for allowing ai and ai-s
>lenses to meter properly

Now, that might seal the deal for me. The D200 is way too big and expensive for what I expect from a DSLR. For a very long time now I have been waiting for a compact digital body that could meter with my manual focus lenses...

Having said that, I will be very surprised if Nikon includes this feature with the D80. If they cared about backward compatibility in amateur bodies at all, they would let the F80 do that years ago...

a.b

fspeeder

Barrington, US
1418 posts

#85. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 28-Jul-06 03:37 AM

Comparing the D80 body with other bodies based on the size of len mount, it is the same size as D50. I start to believe the $899 price tag.

J_Krol

Rotterdam, NL
347 posts

#86. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 85

J_Krol Registered since 01st Apr 2002
Wed 16-Jan-08 01:11 PM

I have found this @ tweakers.net, a comparison based on the size of the F-mount.
Maybe this is a D50 replacement and not D70s...?

And, oh, you can always sell your CF cards and buy new SD-cards. Shoudln't be a bbig problem and you won't lose a lot of €'s either.

One other thing: one of the major shops in the Netherlands was talking about a cooperation with Fuji for new sensors. I haven't heard that anywhere else: would be (very very) nice, it's prbably just another rumour.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Jeroen
The Netherlands

"You don't need eyes to see...you need vision" (Maxi Jazz)

My Vision

JOHNAGUAS

PH
44 posts

#87. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 86

JOHNAGUAS Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 06:55 AM

Judging from the image comparison, the D80 does look more like the D50 - maybe they should've called the new DSLR the D60

If the D80 does use SD cards, could it be that Nikon's direction is to have it's prosumer DSLRs use the SD cards and leave the CF cards for the D2 and upcoming D3,D4 series? Which would mean Nikon would no longer upgrade and even stop the D70s product line?

If this will be the case, I wonder how pros who use the D70 for their work will react, knowing that their upgrade at the minimum would be the D200, and no longer in the likes/price range of the D70s.

Oh, just let it be on sale soon, please?

john aguas

john aguas

Radiohead

Basingstoke, UK
148 posts

#88. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 87

Radiohead Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 08:18 AM

How many actual pros use a D70 though. Not many I'll wager.

narna

Hobart, AU
259 posts

#89. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 88

narna Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 11:24 AM

We have a 'pro' wedding customer who loves her trusty Canon 300D, and is not likely to upgrade anytime soon. Pro isn't about your camera but what you do with it.

I'm guessing these pics are either fake, or this is a D50 upgrade.

The Lens release looks too big (slightly). 2 DOF buttons? THe mirror seems smaller than in my D70s. Seperate flash pop and finction buttons like the D200?? The lens release bugs me, it seems too long and too far across from the top compared to the front/side pics. THere is NO screen protector! (ala D50) ANd that viewfinder just looks huge on it.

Nope. My guess is this is a VERY good D50/D200 blending with a bit of D70 thrown in.

nikosR

Athens, GR
209 posts

#90. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

nikosR Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 08:22 AM

My 2 cents worth:

D80 is a replacement for D70s, not really an upgrade path for D70/D70s users. SD/CF issue supports this.

Upgrade path for D50 is D80 or D200
Upgrade path for D70/D70s is D200 or D2x

I expect a D90(?)to be introduced at the latest early next year to fit between D80 and D200. Maybe it will support dual CF/SD. That would provide a cheper / lighter / smaller upgrade path for D70/D70s users AND a backup camera option for the D200 crowd.

I expect D50 prices to be pushed downwards (unless a D30(?) is introduced soon). This will mean D80 price will quite soon be similar to current D70s price, opening the gap for the D90.

For those that may think these adds up to too many cameras, I would remind them of the old film line (F5x,F6x,F7x,F80,F100,F5)

Nikos
A Nikonian from Athens, Greece

F2AS

Washington, US
529 posts

#91. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 90

Fri 28-Jul-06 11:23 AM

I really don't think there will be a model between the D200 and D80. I think these two cameras are today's F100/N80, and remember many thought that there should be another film camera to fill the gap between those two, and it never happened. I think this new D80 is going to be a real winner, and will appeal to those like me who have been yearning for a powerful DSLR, but find the D200 too big or too expensive. What I think will happen is that the D200 price will eventually drop to $1499 or lower, and the drop in sales because of the new model may cause that to happen sooner rather than later.

Mike

nikosR

Athens, GR
209 posts

#92. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 91

nikosR Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 12:52 PM

Well, there used to be 3 more cameras below the F80 if my memory serves me well. All of these with auto picture modes which both the F80 and the F100 lacked.

Nikos

gettingbetter

UK
52 posts

#93. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 91

Fri 28-Jul-06 12:53 PM

I also find it difficult to understand why so many people seem to think Nikon will release a camera between D80 and D200. To understand why, you have to think about the target markets for each camera, rather than the technology.

The D80 is aimed squarely at the 'Enthusiast', the D200 is aimed squarely at the 'semi-pro'. That's how Nikon differentiate them and it is why, taking just one example, the D80 will be smaller and lighter than the D200 - it's what 'enthusiasts' want, whereas the D200 is much more rugged, because that's what 'semi-pros' want and they are prepared to accept the weight and bulk for the extra features.

So, who is the supposed camera betwen D80 and D200 supposed to be aimed at? Enthusiasts or semi-pros? Those that want a lighter weight, or those that want the extra features. Those of us that were praying for a D200 in a D70 body will be disappointed. As someone said before, the D200 is the upgrade route for D70 users, the D80 is simply the replacement for the D70 and an upgrade path for D50 users.

May these words not come back to haunt me, but the additional model between D200 or D80 is a myth. Existing D70 users with itchy fingers for a new body will have to choose between the D80 and D200.

Mike Stevenson

Mike, London UK

nikosR

Athens, GR
209 posts

#94. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 93

nikosR Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 01:01 PM

I still think that as dSLR technology is commoditised, more and more the manufacturers will try to fill the low to middle segment market with different products for every small pricing segment. The differentiation will be not so much type of customer as size of customer budget. At least, this is what I think was happening in the Fxx series line.

If the new D80 is really a replacement for the D70s, I can't see how it will be marketed at a higher price. And with the price of D200 not falling substantially any day soon (due to continued demand > supply) this still leaves a large price hole between these two cameras.

Nikos

KliftonJK

US
432 posts

#95. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 91

KliftonJK Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 01:20 PM

1) D50 is around to stay, at least for now, the D70s is gone, as it should be. It's had its run for a digital camera...

2) I know of at least three people who make their livings at photography using D70's.

3) None of these photographers have enough CF cards to be able to handle the files from a D80/D200, so they would have to buy new memory anyway. Most photographers stepping up to buy a D80 will be coming from either a D50 or a compact digital, therefore making the SD card make at least some sense. But I'm willing to bet, the real reason is real estate. If the D80 is the same size as the D50 it would be awkward to put a gigantic CF card on the side of this body. It barely fits well on the D200!

4) The noise issues MUST be taken care of. The D50 has some of the best noise handling of any of the Nikon line and yet the D200 can't hold a candle unless absolutely exposed right and even then it looks obtrusive comparatively. I'm willing to bet the D80 does not have this issue taken care of... When Nikon makes a camera that can keep up with the D50 on OOC noise at ISO 800, I'll take a look at replacing it... Until then, it stays in the bag. I don't see this being a FF issue, either. The Canon 5D has relatively the same amount of noise as the 30D.

5) If this D80 does indeed support AIS lenses (which it won't) I'd be jumping all over it... But it won't, therefore the D200 is still the right choice.

6) The viewfinder APPEARS much more like the D200. If it is indeed the same viewfinder... This is going to really stir up the world of DSLR's, in my opinion... Especially at this level...

nikosR

Athens, GR
209 posts

#96. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 95

nikosR Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 01:28 PM

A bit off topic but I was wondering:

Everybody talks about the noise of the D50. Do all these people compare jpegs or do they have experience with comparing RAWs with no NR absolutely applied when comparing its noise to the D70 and D200?

Also when they compare noise from different MP cameras to they just look at 100% in both cases or do they compensate for the difference in pixel number? 100% on 10Mp is a much smaller area of the frame than 100% of 6MP.

I have no experience with the D50, but I somehow suspect that most of this issue has to do with jpeg noise processing. I wonder.

Nikos

KliftonJK

US
432 posts

#97. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 96

KliftonJK Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 01:35 PM

I only shoot with NEF files.

I have owned a D70, I have owned two D50's and now have a D50 and a D200... The D50 by far has the best noise control. (At ISO 800 that is, at ISO 100 the D200 is incredible!)

As for the viewing difference, doesn't matter to me, it's what it looks like at 8x10"... At 800 and above, the D50 produces a cleaner print at 8x10".

The D200 does an incredible job at 100 and very good at 400 though there is a noticable difference.

Max Power

St. Paul, US
434 posts

#98. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 95

Max Power Registered since 13th Jan 2006
Fri 28-Jul-06 01:38 PM

I think the only reason Nikon is coming out with this camera is that most other mfgs have a 10 megapixel camera under $1000. We know that there is so much more to the equation, but megapixels are to cameras like horsepower ratings are to cars. It's what the salesmen can understand, and it appears to be what the majority of consumers understand.

I don't think this camera has as much to do with what else is in the Nikon line-up as much as what the competition is doing.

MstrBones

AW
8238 posts

#99. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 95

Fri 28-Jul-06 05:29 PM

>D50 is around to stay, at least for now, the D70s is gone, as it should be. It's had its run for a digital camera...

Actually, it would be nice to see all the features of the D70s integrated into a D50 size body, if that is to be the entry level Nikon DSLR camera going forward. Then I would agree with your statement above.

The D50 was out when I bought my D70s last Xmas, and it simply did not have enough features and granularity for me. If the D70s had not been a choice, I'd probably have a Canon right now.

""

KliftonJK

US
432 posts

#100. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 99

KliftonJK Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 05:40 PM

David,
I made that statement based on the presumtion that the "D80" was going to be packed with the D70s features in a D50 sized body.

That gives two similar bodies, one that works cheap and easy, one that works advanced, in a similar price range... As it should be... The D200 can take over from there, and the D2Hs/D2Xs sales will probably take an even worse hit than I would assume they have already.

If it were not for the D200, I probably would have a D2Hs... If it were not for the D50 I would have a D70s... So I guess it kinda flip flops... Which is why there's more than one body choice...

The D50 hurt the D70 imo... The D200 will continue to hurt the D2Xs... Nikon is going to have to do something on the high end to compensate for this, I guess we'll see what they have up their sleeves.

In my opinion, this D80, if it is as it appears, will be probably one of the better moves Nikon has made yet... I do not see the D80 affecting D200 sales if it is <$1,100... I do not see it affecting D50 sales if it is >$850... I DO see it affecting 30D sales, I DO see it affecting Sony sales (though I still don't think this is a big issue), and I definitely see it affecting 350D sales (Though we all know Canon has to have something up there sleeves here, which will release in 27 days ).

Time will tell, but I think if they add this D80, drop the D70s and update the D2 line, they'll be set...

I would leave the D50 where it is, maybe a facelift in a year... MAYBE a resolution increase, but I would personally wish it to stay where it's at.

What WILL hurt the D200 is if this camera has the same viewfinder as the D200 and if it does meter AIS lenses. However, if it does both of these things, I see a ton of people jumping on it... So tim will tell. I don't see the build quality affecting it a WHOLE lot... More people are surprised by the D200's build quality than go out and buy it because of its build quality... At least from what I've seen.

fspeeder

Barrington, US
1418 posts

#101. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 100

Fri 28-Jul-06 08:25 PM

I agree it will a strong competitor for 30D. Canon users had already protested 30D's 8mp. Now Nikon has a cheaper 10mp will hurt Canon further.

On the other hand, there are rumors Canon is coming out a 370D, a slightly beefed up version of 350D. I do not know its expected features yet.

houstonjim1

Houston, US
95 posts

#102. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 101

houstonjim1 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2005
Fri 28-Jul-06 08:52 PM

Since most of this discussion is pure conjecture, here's my 2 cents -if you consider the progression from the D100 to the D70 to D70s to D50 to the D200 and now the "D80", Nikon has made continual improvements in various aspects (not all aspects) of the camera's technology trying to tap different markets or compete with Canon or both - Nikon has continued to separate its professional line from its consumer, enthusiast, advanced amateur line of D cameras - it has retained CF data storage throughout this progression of D cameras - I suspect the "D80" to be a blend of D50 and D200 technology and design with a sales price between the 2 cameras (maybe $999) - I also think it'll retain CF data storage (it's just more Nikon-like) and become a second camera body for both D50 and D200 users - there is still a big price gap between the D200 and D2Xs ($3000 gap) so Nikon has plenty of room to entice further upgrading for the D2Xs want-a-bees (maybe a full frame D300) - it'll be fun to see what Nikon really has up its sleeve when the truth is revealed!

houstonjim2

KliftonJK

US
432 posts

#103. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 102

KliftonJK Basic Member
Fri 28-Jul-06 08:57 PM

How do you figure that they have retained CF data storage throughout thsi progression of D cameras? The D50 was introduced after the D70 with an SD and the D200 after the D50 with a CF. I think it's anybody's ballgame...

blue rondo

Toronto, CA
356 posts

#104. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 100

blue rondo Registered since 19th Aug 2002
Fri 28-Jul-06 08:36 PM

>if this camera has the same
>viewfinder as the D200 and if it does meter AIS lenses.
>However, if it does both of these things, I see a ton of
>people jumping on it...

Yes, that would be me.

Build quality? Who expects to use a consumer DSLR more than 3-5 years anyways? If you want build quality, just get a D50/70/80 today, use it until 2010, and then donate it to charity and get yourself a near mint D2X/D2Hs for well under what you had originally paid for your D50/70/80. In other words, build quality is on the way!

a.b

JH

Tampere, FI
1477 posts

#105. "RE: Is this the D80 ? - Part 2" | In response to Reply # 0

JH Basic Member
Sat 29-Jul-06 05:51 AM

Let's continue discussion in part three here:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/16875.html

Janne