nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Some files on disk are corrupt

jldodge

Atlanta, US
19 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jldodge Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th Sep 2009
Sun 23-Jun-13 08:22 PM

I am encountering situations (after formatting a disk via my camera) where files are corrupt. I have tried a couple of recovery programs (Stellar and Seagate) but cannot recover the files.

My camera is a D70s and I want to determine if it is the camera or the disk itself. If it is the camera, is it repairable OR have I exhausted the useful life of the camera. With the exception of the corrupt files, the camera operates fine. I have never had any other problems with the camera and have it cleaned/serviced regularly. If it is the disk, it's easy enough to toss it. I am using a Lexar Professional UDMA 2 GB disk.

My problem is how to make sure it is either the camera or the disk.

Any help would be appreciated ... Thanks in advance ...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

quenton8

Toronto, CA
1427 posts

#1. "RE: Some files on disk are corrupt" | In response to Reply # 0

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010
Mon 24-Jun-13 01:16 AM

I would bet on the disk -- try another one.

I have 10 that I rotate through, if there is any thought that one has a problem of any kind (often physical) I just junk it and watch for a sale to replace it.

I use 8Gb drives and usually get them for around $10 to $15 -- a 2Gb is likely cheap, so get one and try it.

----
Dennis Smith.

MEMcD

US
28361 posts

#2. "RE: Some files on disk are corrupt" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 24-Jun-13 01:24 AM

Hi Jeff,

Rescue Pro is available free with higher end Sandisk memory cards and Lexar has a similar program (can't remember the name) available free with thier higher end cards as well. Both work well at recovering corrupted image files (both jpeg and NEF files) from memory cards.

On occasion my D70s gets flakey as well. Usually all it takes is reseating or pushing in the memory card in the camera to resolve the problem. Since memory cards are cheap, I would get another 2 or 4 GB card and see if that solves the problem.

Best Regards,
Marty

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
5977 posts

#3. "RE: Some files on disk are corrupt" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 24-Jun-13 02:41 AM

>I am encountering situations (after formatting a disk via my
>camera) where files are corrupt. I have tried a couple of
>recovery programs (Stellar and Seagate) but cannot recover the
>files.
>
>My camera is a D70s and I want to determine if it is the
>camera or the disk itself. If it is the camera, is it
>repairable OR have I exhausted the useful life of the camera.
>With the exception of the corrupt files, the camera operates
>fine. I have never had any other problems with the camera and
>have it cleaned/serviced regularly. If it is the disk, it's
>easy enough to toss it. I am using a Lexar Professional UDMA 2
>GB disk.
>
>My problem is how to make sure it is either the camera or the
>disk.
>
>Any help would be appreciated ... Thanks in advance ...

Sounds like the CF card has a few bad "sectors", just like a hard drive can get.

Using a card reader, do a deep format with your computer, then a quick format with the camera, and see if the "bad sectors" are now mapped out.

Testing with a new CF card is always a good option for camera vs card diagnosis.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

SheriB

SouthernYork Co, US
1961 posts

#4. "RE: Some files on disk are corrupt" | In response to Reply # 3

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Mon 24-Jun-13 09:50 AM

Joseph, could you explain what you mean by doing a deep format with withnthe computer ? Thanks!

Sheri Becker

jldodge

Atlanta, US
19 posts

#5. "RE: Some files on disk are corrupt" | In response to Reply # 4

jldodge Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th Sep 2009
Mon 24-Jun-13 11:31 AM

All very helpful comments. I had been formatting in the camera but did not think about formatting on the PC and then doing the quick format in the camera.

Thanks again for the help ... I'm on my way to the store ...

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
5977 posts

#6. "RE: Some files on disk are corrupt" | In response to Reply # 4

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 24-Jun-13 07:27 PM | edited Mon 24-Jun-13 07:28 PM by JosephK

>Joseph, could you explain what you mean by doing a deep
>format with within the computer ? Thanks!

Usage a card reader, your memory card is treated like a hard disk. There are two types of formatting.
Quick - the top-level directory is blanked out so that the card/disk appears to be empty. This is what the camera does. This is the default for removable media in Windows.
Deep/long - The file system is rewritten, data on the individual sectors is overwritten, the individual sectors are tested for integrity.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX
36463 posts

#7. "RE: Some files on disk are corrupt" | In response to Reply # 0

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Mon 24-Jun-13 10:10 PM

Make sure it is not just the jpeg file the one corrupted.
I have encountered from time to time some files that looked corrupted in ViewNX2.
Opening them (the NEF) in CNXs and re-saving, solved the problem with the jpeg.

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

quenton8

Toronto, CA
1427 posts

#8. "RE: Some files on disk are corrupt" | In response to Reply # 7

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010
Tue 25-Jun-13 01:24 PM

As a further note on SD card use ... what I do is ...
- I have about 12 SD-cards
- each day or two I take one from the camera, load to LR and file it
- I then load the oldest one (least recently used) and format it
- if I am doing an event (friend's wedding, I am not professional), I may change 4 or 5 times during that event

I have been saved twice in the last couple of years by being able to go back to an SD card from a week or so ago, and with lots of cards if one has a physical (or mental) problem, I just discard it and buy a new one in the next couple of weeks.

I lost the contents of an SD card once, from an event, but only lost a part of the event because I change regularly.

I might not do quite so much changing if I had a more up-to-date camera that had dual SD-card slots.

----
Dennis Smith.

G