nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252049
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Manual lens on D90 and built in flash will not fire r 1..." Previous topic | Next topic
JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Sun 11-Nov-12 01:45 AM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Manual lens on D90 and built in flash will not fire r 18 error?"

US

I have a Kiron 105mm macro lens that works fine with my Sunpak ringlight with a Nikon module. When I try to use my flip up flash on my D90 or my Mount my Nissin Di622 I get an error code r 18 and the flash symbol just blinks in the upper left corner of the settings screen. I went to E2 and turned off TTL and still nothing. The camera does not function.
I should be able to set the shutter speed to 30-250 and my f stop on my lens but the camera will not function never mind fire the flash. Do any of you use manual lenses with the camera's built in flash. Thanks JBD90

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 11-Nov-12 12:19 PM
26974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Manual lens on D90 and built in flash will not fire r 18 error?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Since Kiron Lenses do not have a CPU built into the lens, they will not meter when mounted on your D90. The D90 does not support metering with non-CPU lenses.
The lens can be used on the D90 though you must have the camera in Manual exposure mode and Manually set the ISO.
If you want to use flash: built-in or in hotshoe, you must have the flash set in Manual flash mode as well.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 02:51 PM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Manual lens on D90 and built in flash will not fire r 18 error?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

And...the r18 is not an error code. It displays each and every time you half press the shutter button and is showing you the number of shots in the buffer. You've just not noticed it before.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 11-Nov-12 05:12 PM
26974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual lens on D90 and built in flash will not fire r 18 error?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Yes!

Best Regards,
Marty

JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Sun 18-Nov-12 04:28 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Manual lens on D90 and built in flash will not fire r 18 error?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Setting the menu for flash in the D90 to manual fires the built in flash with the Kiron manual lens. All is good now. My TTL compatable Niddin DI622 still does not fire. The problem is at least isolated. I have a few ASi manual lenses and I will just have to use the built in. Do the Nikon flashes work with manual lenses? Thanks for your help. JBD90

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 18-Nov-12 04:58 PM
#5. "RE: Manual lens on D90 and built in flash will not fire r 18 error?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi John,

All of the Nikon Speedlights SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, and SB-910 (SB-400 can only be set in Manual though certain camera bodies)) can be set in Manual flash mode and will work when using non CPU (MF) lenses.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

alubchenko Registered since 01st Nov 2012Mon 19-Nov-12 11:32 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Manual lens on D90 and built in flash will not fire r 18 error?"
In response to Reply # 0

UA

Possibly your flash is set to AUTO(TTL)Mode, try Manual flash mode. I use both built-in and of-camera flashes with old lens MC-VOLNA 1.8, works perfectly!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252049 Previous topic | Next topic